Kaspersky Standard will not function without specific runtime

Go to solution Solved by templar,

Greetings folks and a Happy New Year,

This may sound slightly convoluted so I'll try and describe my problem as clearly as possible.

Recently, I noticed I had an older program called Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime 5.0.10 (x86), and Microsoft recommended updating to Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime 6.0.12 (x86), so I uninstalled the program.  I was notified during the uninstall process that Kaspersky is dependant on this runtime to function, but I thought, that's okay as I will be installing the latest version of this Runtime.  I promptly installed Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime 6.0.12 (x86), but Kaspersky ceased to function and I received this:

744349523_Screenshot2023-01-01004944.png.333041c770d486e01bbe72df880041e9.png

The only way I could get Kaspersky to function is re-install it.  After I did so it I noticed that the older Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime 5.0.10 (x86) had been reinstalled.

1377597544_Screenshot2023-01-01010406.png.5a50896f37a017a06742ad57c6e8a2ce.png

As far as I know there are no vulnerabilities in the 5.0.10 Runtime but when Microsoft advises to update them, I tend to listen.

I'm wondering why Kaspersky is dependant on this older Runtime and won't function with the newer versions, and is there a way I can make it work with the latest runtimes?

53 minutes ago, templar said:

Failed to initialize Microsoft .Net Framework. Please try to reinstall it. 

The only way I could get Kaspersky to function is re-install it.  After I did so it I noticed that the older Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime 5.0.10 (x86) had been reinstalled.

A. I'm wondering why Kaspersky is dependent on this older Runtime and won't function with the newer versions, and is there a way I can make it work with the latest runtimes?

Hello @templar

Welcome back & Happy New Year!

It always helps to please start with:

1. OS version & build, refer: https://support.kaspersky.com/common/diagnostics/15026
  2. Kaspersky name, version & patch(x), x=letter, on the Windows taskbar or hidden icons, right click the Kaspersky icon, select About

Thank you?
Flood? +?

Resource
Read before you create a new topic! by Danila T

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
Added additional resource || Changed 3 to A.

18 minutes ago, templar said:

Windows 22h2 build.22621.963, Kaspersky 21.8.5.452

1. The guide was the first document I viewed. 
  2. The Windows 11 fix directed me to install the latest runtime which I have done. 
  3. I might contact support, see what they say.
  4.  Kaspersky Standard, 21.8.5.452

Hello @templar

Thank you for posting back & the information!

1. We would not have shared it, had we known?
  2. Understood!
  3. Excellent, that was going to be our recommendation; they may request logs, traces & other data, we think you know the drill?; please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available?
  4.  There's no patch information, Patch(a) has been available since late November 2022, we'd have thought it would be updated to that by now. 

Thank you?
Flood? +?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
Added 4, & re-edited

• 2 weeks later...