Kaspersky Protection extension on Mozilla Firefox

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

I am persistently getting a notification from Kaspersky Total Security that I need to activate the Kaspersky Protection extension on Mozilla Firefox:

image.thumb.png.8e8f324d5d176de04f7b10cd07f3176a.png

Firefox is indeed up to date, and the extension is installed:

image.thumb.png.885d45d89a84e68e2ee9c4920cc91280.png

image.thumb.png.5692f8ddbc7ac9052ca99b0f7aeded69.png

Why am I persistently getting that notification when the extension is already installed? And how do I fix it so it doesn't happen again?

For a matter of record, this only happens with Firefox. Chromium Edge and Google Chrome do not give this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I am. I should have thought to include a screenshot of the Kaspersky FF extension in my original post, but did not. This is what I am using:

image.thumb.png.1e5cbb901a9c5fe2dea70ee7b8ded553.png

Since my original post, Firefox has also been updated:

image.thumb.png.062da5f22de71c70bf4fe91f5d080c02.png

I've tried to remove the extension from FF and to re-install it, but that did work. This morning, when I opened Firefox, it briefly said something about needing additional permissions for the Kaspersky extension?

@Dzomlija

7 minutes ago, Dzomlija said:

This morning, when I opened Firefox, it briefly said something about needing additional permissions for the Kaspersky extension?

Thank you for your feedback, allowing to install the Kaspersky extension is the correct procedure.

On 6/12/2023 at 2:21 PM, Berny said:

@Dzomlija

Thank you for your feedback, allowing to install the Kaspersky extension is the correct procedure.

I am still getting the "Activate Kaspersky Extension" message:

image.thumb.png.82fc9205cc292250c01f4cff64fe43f1.png

Everything is up to date. Windows. Firefox. Kaspersky itself. And yet the message persists.

I'm at my wits ends here as to what to do to resolve this issue. Honestly, it's getting to be a little bit more annoying than I would care to admit. 

34 minutes ago, Dzomlija said:
  1. I am still getting the "Activate Kaspersky Extension" message:

Hello @Dzomlija

Thank you for posting back!

1. In the *actual* Kaspersky Total Security (KTS) application main GUI, is there an outstanding Notification & IF (you) select Details, does the Activate Kaspersky Extension (for Firefox) show, with an arrow that can be selected with available options - one of those options being Ignore
  2. In KTS Notifications, is there an Event for Firefox, Kaspersky Protection extension activation & has Show on screen been Unchecked ? Refer: How to configure application notifications

Please advise? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
Added Q. 2 - with doc ref.

On 6/15/2023 at 5:36 AM, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @Dzomlija

Thank you for posting back!

1. In the *actual* Kaspersky Total Security (KTS) application main GUI, is there an outstanding Notification & IF (you) select Details, does the Activate Kaspersky Extension (for Firefox) show, with an arrow that can be selected with available options - one of those options being Ignore
  2. In KTS Notifications, is there an Event for Firefox, Kaspersky Protection extension activation & has Show on screen been Unchecked ? Refer: How to configure application notifications

Please advise? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

image.thumb.png.83ffe8c072c0120cce28e5cd28f0fe4d.png

There are no outstanding notifications, and the only one that has been ignored is Kaspersky Safe Kids.

image.thumb.png.0cda7e59eeb4bb54d4f932de44add5d7.pngimage.thumb.png.928ffb5c7f18045c02a32607ac75e7f8.pngimage.thumb.png.c3ee6536f0a6341a82b2c852bf0dc93e.png

I cannot find any references to Firefox in Notifications.

I did, however, find this:

image.thumb.png.ef9ea22d1b0a1f9aba786b08ff0dea2f.png

• Solution

Hello @Dzomlija

Thank you for posting back, the information & the images! 

1. Image 2. directly above Application interface language, is there an *outstanding* change that has not been applied? 
  2. Re: 'Scan secure traffic in Mozilla applications', should not impact the issue, (you) can change it IF (you) wish. 
  3. (ioo) it would be advisable to uninstall KTS & clean install KTS, as follows:
  • A. Close all applications, including all browsers.
  • B. Uninstall KTS, using Windows, Add & remove programs, when prompted by KTS -> select: *save License information ONLY* -> Do not check any other checkboxes, leave all other check boxes BLANK/EMPTY* -read & follow: How to uninstall the application & at the end of the uninstall, make sure the computer is powered fully OFF & started by pressing the power button, login.
  • C. Download a new KTS installer: Kaspersky Total Security for Windows®; install & recheck the issue? 
  • D. Alternatively, upgrade KTS to Kaspersky Plus (at no charge) read: Kaspersky: Basic, Standard, Plus, Premium - info & FAQ & recheck the issue? 

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

The screenshots I showed in my previous post were taken without making any changes to settings. However:

1) Above "Application Interface Language", the only possible choices that that appear there are two options to select either the "Standard Icon" or "Midori Kuma" icon for the KTS tray.

image.thumb.png.2f393d5a53ad6a6a17bce5981f9a3543.png

2) I figured the "Network Settings" -> "Scan secure traffic in Mozilla applications" might not the problem.

3) I'll try the "Uninstall/Reinstall" option, even if that is akin to fixing a flat tyre by rebuilding the entire car.

3D) If the Uninstall/reinstall doesn't work, then I'll try the Kaspersky Plus option. Question: Will I still be able to continue using Kaspersky Password Manager if I go this route?

The screenshots I showed in my previous post were taken without making any changes to settings. However:

1) Above "Application Interface Language", the only possible choices that that appear there are two options to select either the "Standard Icon" or "Midori Kuma" icon for the KTS tray.

image.thumb.png.2f393d5a53ad6a6a17bce5981f9a3543.png

2) I figured the "Network Settings" -> "Scan secure traffic in Mozilla applications" might not the problem.

3) I'll try the "Uninstall/Reinstall" option, even if that is akin to fixing a flat tyre by rebuilding the entire car.

3D) If the Uninstall/reinstall doesn't work, then I'll try the Kaspersky Plus option. Question: Will I still be able to continue using Kaspersky Password Manager if I go this route?

EDIT:

To show that I uninstalled and reinstalled KTS, here are the following screenshots:

kts1.thumb.png.a5e0d83827cdc509b2447a4c57c3abb1.png

kts2.thumb.png.4ba096ce5089ce5d2cc2bf8b5aaa4019.png

Also, when I loaded up Edge, I received this notification (which I did not get with chrome or Firefox):

image.thumb.png.5c242eaf31723a583f403d81f88e91bb.png

I will let you know if the notification about Firefox returns or not over the next few days.

Edited by Dzomlija

31 minutes ago, Dzomlija said:

5 Also, when I loaded up Edge, I received this notification (which I did not get with chrome or Firefox):

Hello @Dzomlija

Thank you for posting back & the information. 

1. Ok, no problem, we no longer have KTS & could not see the full screen, thanks for the information. 
  2. Correct. 
  3. Well, the 'flat tyre' is not resolving thus far so uninstalling - according to the instructions we've provided is a recommended option - on that note - when (you) uninstalled - did (you) select Save License information ONLY in this popup window & LEAVE ALL OTHER CHECK BOXES EMPTY, note - our image is from Kaspersky Plus - the first box, for Subscription is blank, (yours) will look different: image.thumb.jpeg.91dc7161f7510d5c956fbf8214614662.jpeg
  4. 3D - Yes, upgraded KTS to Kaspersky Plus *includes* Kaspersky Password Manager Premium; Kaspersky Safe Kids Premium subscription for 1 year & Kaspersky VPN *Limited / Standard* - the upgraded subscription is *LIKE for LIKE* -> KTS comes with Kaspersky VPN *Limited / Standard*
  5. For the Edge Extension, select Turn on. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

spelling?

@Flood and Flood's wife Thank you for your patience regarding this matter.

To answer your question earlier about me uninstalling and then reinstalling KTS. Yes, when uninstalling a made sure that only the license information was retained. I lost all my Safe Money settings in the process, but that's a small issue that is easily rectified.

I will closely monitor the behavior of KTS and the notification issue for the Firefox Extension and will let you know if I see it again.

3 hours ago, Dzomlija said:
  • Thank you for your patience regarding this matter.
  1. Yes, when uninstalling, I made sure that only the license information was retained.
  2. I lost all my Safe Money settings in the process.
  3. I will closely monitor the behavior of KTS and the notification issue for the Firefox Extension and will let you know if I see it again.

Hello @Dzomlija

You are most welcome! 

1. Excellent?
  2. IF by Safe Money 'settings' (you) mean websites configured in the Safe Money app, sadly those are never saved - even IF (you) had checked other boxes; it's an outstanding issue that Kaspersky has never fixed. 
  3. Excellent, we hope the outcome is positive!

Thank you?
Flood?+?

grammar?

1 hour ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

IF by Safe Money 'settings' (you) mean websites configured in the Safe Money app, sadly those are never saved - even IF (you) had checked other boxes; it's an outstanding issue that Kaspersky has never fixed. 

I think I may have stumbled upon a solution to that problem, even if it is a bit technical and out of reach for many users.

1. Being the stickler that I am to backups and data integrity, prior to uninstalling KTS I went to SETTINGS->MANAGE SETTINGS->EXPORT to back a backup copy of the application settings.
  2. After the re-install, and verifying that everything was working as intended, I opened the exported CFG file in XML Notepad, and I discovered that the Safe Money settings are also saved, because I search for the URLs for my bank and computer parts suppliers.
  3. Having determined the structure of the CFG file, I deleted all "item" branches from "ekaSettings" and "persistenData" that are NOT related to SafeBanking (as it is labelled in the settings file).
  4. I then opened SETTING->MANAGE SETTINGS->IMPORT and imported the modified CFG file, and voila! All 35 configured Safe Money URLs were restored, and everything is in order.

While I was doing this, I also discovered that the "pragueSettings" branch must not be touched, because I deleted that key, KTS would not import the modified CFG file.

Some notes on the experience:

1. It would be nice if the "IMPORT" tool for the settings allowed users to choose which settings are imported, so that we can decide easily to import only those settings that relevant to us as users.
  2. Unrelated to the topic at hand, a nice quality-of-life change to Safe Money would be if the context menu that is opened when Kaspersky Tray Icon is right-clicked included a "Safe Money" entry that itself opens a menu that contains all the User-configured URLS.

Again, thank you for all your assistance regarding that annoying popup regarding Firefox protection. Your advice appears to have resolved that issue, and I have marked the post that led to this satisfactory conclusion as a solution.

But being the stickler for perfection I am, I'll nevertheless keep an eye out on it regardless. ?

Thanks for everything!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Dzomlija said:

1. Being the stickler that I am to backups and data integrity, prior to uninstalling KTS I went to SETTINGS->MANAGE SETTINGS->EXPORT to back a backup copy of the application settings.

•  
  •  

4. I then opened SETTING->MANAGE SETTINGS->IMPORT and imported the modified CFG file, and voila! All 35 configured Safe Money URLs were restored, and everything is in order.

Hello @Dzomlija

You're most welcome! 

Thank you for posting back & the information! 

We're delighted to read the Firefox / Kaspersky extension issue appears to be resolved??‍♂️, excellent work, well done??

Great you did a backup, that's commendable & very smart! 

Correct, Safe Money settings are saved, however, they are not imported if the backup is imported as in the *original configuration format* -> this issue is outstanding & in the hands of Kaspersky developers - for a very long time - last input from them: December 2022:

Quote:

"Reason why Safe Money list not importing, because its account specific and binded to SID which is different on another PC. It may be improved in next versions of product. Unfortunately, we have no workaround for now. You could export/import settings, except Safe Money list."

End quote

Even when we've explained *same SID*, we get the same rubbish from them, so - we don't waste our time, we simply wait & wait & .....

-----------------------------

• Regarding (your) two 'it would be nice' notes -> IF (you) wish for Kaspersky software to be enhanced, (you're) welcome to raise a Feedback, I have a suggestion or Feedback, I have a complaint request, with Kaspersky Customer Service: https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts. 
  • Provide as much information as possible & *define* the request clearly; support may communicate with you & discuss the proposal. All requests go thru the relevant team/s, not all requests are successful & even successful requests may take a long time to be implemented
  • ?Please post back the Incident request number 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

On 6/17/2023 at 12:13 PM, Flood and Flood's wife said:

"Reason why Safe Money list not importing, because its account specific and binded to SID which is different on another PC. It may be improved in next versions of product. Unfortunately, we have no workaround for now. You could export/import settings, except Safe Money list."

That explains why the list was not also imported to my Laptop....?

2 hours ago, Dzomlija said:

1. I'm still getting that annoying FF message:

2. So, I'll try the option you suggested of switching to Kaspersky Plus instead.

2 hours ago, Dzomlija said:

3. I am also now getting this. What is it?

Hello @Dzomlija

Thank you for posting back & the update! 

1. That's so disappointing! 

2. OK. 

3. Is Wondershare software installed? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

removed q.

On 6/20/2023 at 7:51 AM, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @Dzomlija

Thank you for posting back & the update! 

1. That's so disappointing! 

2. OK. 

3. Is Wondershare software installed? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

I've updated to Kaspersky Plus, and so far, I have not gotten the popup message about the Firefox extension, although the app did ask me to enable it.

As for WonderShare, I have no idea what it is, so I denied it access in firewall settings. When I searched for WonderShare on Bing or Google, I got no useful results, but after a while my efforts eventually did discover the source of how it got onto my system - "WonderShare Recoverit".

I've uninstalled both.

It'll take some getting used to the new interface of Kaspersky Plus (I really liked the UI in KTS), but for now, it appears as if my issues have been resolved.

Thanks for your patience.