Is it possible to install just antivirus?

Hello,

I would like to ask you. I want to use just Kaspersky antivirus and I want to use it with Comodo firewall. In the older version of the Kaspersky installation package (maybe 5-10 years ago), only antivirus could be installed. Is it possible to install only Antivirus if I buy Kaspersky plus or premium?

Is there a version of Kaspersky antivirus without a firewall? 

Thank you for advices.

Thanks for the reply, but I want to use Comodo Firewall. I have been using it for over 10 years. I've been using only Defender as antivirus for a couple of years, but I'm not satisfied with it and I'm looking for a regular antivirus without a firewall (I don't want Eset or Avast etc). I used to use Kaspersky a lot too, but still old versions. 

I don't know about just disabling the firewall, as Kaspersky Plus has so many other background processes that could be running in tandem with the firewall (can it truly totally be disabled?), it may be asking for trouble, especially with how intense Comodo is by itself. I agree with @Berny let Plus function as how it was designed to, that's where it's getting some of the best protection ratings as in AV-Comparatives, independent tests etc.

Just my opinion in trying to make things work together.

Edited by jonny quest
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, wildafrica said:
  1. I want to use just Kaspersky antivirus and I want to use it with Comodo firewall.
  2. In the older version of the Kaspersky installation package (maybe 5-10 years ago), only antivirus could be installed.
  3. Is it possible to install only Antivirus if I buy Kaspersky plus or premium?
  4. Is there a version of Kaspersky antivirus without a firewall? 

Hello @wildafrica

Welcome!

1. Also, in Kaspersky's old software range, during install - there was a semi-automated check - for conflicting applications, *Comodo* was always detected in those checks, reference list: List of applications incompatible with Kaspersky Internet Security. In Kaspersky *new* range, that check is fully automated.
  2. Correct. 
  3. No. 
  4. Kaspersky Free: in a Global release & also a variety of regions available in the dropdown list (2) - see image

free-av.thumb.jpg.f3fbbef583e8d52719111cf7173ccb2c.jpg

Any questions or issues, please post back?

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
grammar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jonny quest said:

I don't know about just disabling the firewall, as Kaspersky Plus has so many other background processes that could be running in tandem with the firewall (can it truly totally be disabled?), it may be asking for trouble, especially with how intense Comodo is by itself. I agree with @Berny let Plus function as how it was designed to, that's where it's getting some of the best protection ratings as in AV-Comparatives, independent tests etc.

Well I agree with that too, I wouldn't disable Kaspersky's firewall nor do I like Comodo.

7 часов назад, jonny quest сказал:

Yesterday I installed a trial of Kaspersky Plus. I can't use it. There is no option for interactive rules in the firewall. Everything is automatic. Where is the old Kaspersky?:) Everything is allowed. The firewall evaluates the programs itself and puts them in a group.

I want to have control over which application I allow on the internet and which I don't.

I tried switching the group to disabled in the firewall settings and still after resetting the whole group, the firewall let it on the internet.

So I can't use any version of Kaspersky. Maybe only free Antivirus, but there I don't know if it has webshield, because some people write that it doesn't and other articles say that it has webshield.

7 часов назад, Flood and Flood's wife сказал:

Hello @wildafrica

Welcome!

1. Also, in Kaspersky's old software range, during install - there was a semi-automated check - for conflicting applications, *Comodo* was always detected in those checks, reference list: List of applications incompatible with Kaspersky Internet Security. In Kaspersky *new* range, that check is fully automated.
  2. Correct. 
  3. No. 
  4. Kaspersky Free: in a Global release & also a variety of regions available in the dropdown list (2) - see image

free-av.thumb.jpg.f3fbbef583e8d52719111cf7173ccb2c.jpg

Any questions or issues, please post back?

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Thank you for your answers. I found the same thing yesterday.  Today I will try a trial of free antivirus, I need webshield and as I wrote, some reviews say it is there and others say it is not. Maybe Kaspersky changed it.

I'm sorry, but I got error 504 and it pasted the same post here several times. If that's possible, someone delete it.

777777777.jpg

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, wildafrica said:

Thank you for your answers. I found the same thing yesterday.  Today I will try a trial of free antivirus, (1) I need webshield and as I wrote, some reviews say it is there and others say it is not. Maybe Kaspersky changed it.

Hello @wildafrica

You're most welcome!

Thank you for posting back!

1. By webshield - do you mean Kaspersky Protection browser extension

Please post back & post (your) region/location - as well so we can share with you a link specific to (your) region? 

👉Note, we've requested the Mods remove the duplicate posts. 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

7 minutes ago, wildafrica said:

I do not know how to say it in English. No, I mean the antivirus function that blocks your browser from accessing a "bad site". For example, something like this. I only found it from Eset.  

PC's for a 10-year-old.

I am from EU.

Hello @wildafrica

Thank you for posting back & the information!

• Read: Kaspersky Protection browser extension - it works, with the following modules: Inform about suspected phishing, Inform about website problem, Open On-Screen Keyboard, no Private Browsing & no Anti-Banner
  1. Is claripi a Medical Imaging Solution - provider? We just need to make sure we're checking the right site - from the image you posted? 
  2. What does "PC's for a 10-year-old." mean please - is a child going to be using the computer - please clarify? 
  3. *Where* in the EU please? 

Please post back?

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

2 часа назад, wildafrica сказал:

I do not know how to say it in English. No, I mean the antivirus function that blocks your browser from accessing a "bad site". For example, something like this. I only found it from Eset.  PC's for a 10-year-old.

I am from EU.

MicrosoftTeams-image-2.png.11ef9582c8532d7fd8fb6c509d5c9108.png

Yes, Safe Browsing module provides that protection, and that is indeed included in Kaspersky Free.

3 часа назад, wildafrica сказал:

Yesterday I installed a trial of Kaspersky Plus. I can't use it. There is no option for interactive rules in the firewall. Everything is automatic. Where is the old Kaspersky?:) Everything is allowed. The firewall evaluates the programs itself and puts them in a group.

I want to have control over which application I allow on the internet and which I don't.

I tried switching the group to disabled in the firewall settings and still after resetting the whole group, the firewall let it on the internet.

So I can't use any version of Kaspersky. Maybe only free Antivirus, but there I don't know if it has webshield, because some people write that it doesn't and other articles say that it has webshield.

Kaspersky's Firewall might seem confusing at first in regards to how it works - allow me to explain.

Just like all other components, it works in conjunction with other Kaspersky modules, especially Intrusion Prevention (HIPS). If HIPS detects a low trust executable, it will automatically place it in one of the restricted groups - Low Restricted, High Restricted or Untrusted.

Those groups are set to always ask for permission to connect to the internet by default - but *only* if you uncheck Perform recommended actions automatically under Settings -> Security settings -> Exclusions and actions on object deletion. If that option is checked, Kaspersky will decide whether or not to allow connectivity to the app.

If you want recommended actions to still be performed automatically, you can go into Intrustion Prevention settings and instead set network connectivity for the lower groups to default Deny, like so:

GGE4NL5.png

That way, only executables added to the Trusted group will be allowed to access the internet. All low trust executables will be thrown into Low Restricted and have its permissions and network access denied - where you can decide whether or not the executable is trustworthy yourself.

I highly recommend KSN connectivity for this feature to work at its best.

Edited by Crylune

I found a similar setting directly in Firewall. I tried disabling the internet connection for the whole group (the whole group was in red) and Kaspersky still let it on the internet. Then I tried setting it to ask - something like Interactive Firewall, but it also let the application on the internet and didn't ask for permission.
So I uninstalled it. In older versions, if you set "ASK", it asked and you could choose to allow or disallow.

2 часа назад, Flood and Flood's wife сказал:

Hello @wildafrica

• Read: Kaspersky Protection browser extension - it works, with the following modules: Inform about suspected phishing, Inform about website problem, Open On-Screen Keyboard, no Private Browsing & no Anti-Banner
  1. Is claripi a Medical Imaging Solution - provider? We just need to make sure we're checking the right site - from the image you posted? 
  2. What does "PC's for a 10-year-old." mean please - is a child going to be using the computer - please clarify? 
  3. *Where* in the EU please? 

Please post back?

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

I know Kaspersky "browser extension". I don't want a browser extension, but I want the antivirus to have something like webshield. Like Avast, NOD, etc. But I do not want to use those AV. Previously, I used Kaspersky.

1. I don't know what Claripi is. I was just looking for an image as an example of what I would like and found this one first on Google.

2. Yes, for a 10 year old child.

3. Czech Rep.

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, wildafrica said:

I found a similar setting directly in Firewall. I tried disabling the internet connection for the whole group (the whole group was in red) and Kaspersky still let it on the internet. Then I tried setting it to ask - something like Interactive Firewall, but it also let the application on the internet and didn't ask for permission.
So I uninstalled it. In older versions, if you set "ASK", it asked and you could choose to allow or disallow.

That is very strange - did you *uncheck* Perform recommended actions automatically?

I just tried to deny access to Network for a trusted app, Discord, just to test. It worked fine, as soon as I restarted the app it could no longer log me in nor update. Even the "Ask user" setting works:

image.png.1d1524f774a169c3f9b9ef9c20086836.png

Edited by Crylune

2 minutes ago, Crylune said:

That is very strange - did you *uncheck* Perform recommended actions automatically?

I just tried to deny access to Network for a trusted app, Discord, just to test. It worked fine, as soon as I restarted the app it could no longer log me in nor update.

I'd be lying to you. I don't remember. I tried it with Shadow Defender on.
I wanted to install it in the Sandbox in WIndows, but Kaspersky won't install there at all.

1 minute ago, wildafrica said:

I'd be lying to you. I don't remember. I tried it with Shadow Defender on.
I wanted to install it in the Sandbox in WIndows, but Kaspersky won't install there at all.

No idea what Shadow Defender is - looks sketch to me.

Please try again, with all other applications closed. Try setting an app to "Deny".

If it doesn't work, uncheck Perform recommended actions automatically and try again. Try with "Ask user" as well.

3 minutes ago, Berny said:

FYI :

Report → Kaspersky Open Tip

Reveal hidden contents

k_claripi_kas.jpg.cd99cb9e3de484dad253ba28c28838a6.jpg

Report → Virus Total

Reveal hidden contents

k_claripi_vt.thumb.jpg.20d44319a370cb5338d326b514283656.jpg

Thank you Berny, but as I wrote before.  For me, an antivirus that automatically blocks it is better. I can't check every URL manually. As I also wrote. A PC is for a small child. But I'm looking for antivirus for me too. For a few years now I've only used Defender, but it really slows down copying large files a lot and I use it quite often now. I used to use only Kaspersky for a long time, but since everything started getting automated, I switched to Comodo FW and Windows Defender. KAV + CF was great maybe 10 years ago.

7 minutes ago, wildafrica said:

Thank you Berny, but as I wrote before.  For me, an antivirus that automatically blocks it is better. I can't check every URL manually. As I also wrote. A PC is for a small child. But I'm looking for antivirus for me too. For a few years now I've only used Defender, but it really slows down copying large files a lot and I use it quite often now. I used to use only Kaspersky for a long time, but since everything started getting automated, I switched to Comodo FW and Windows Defender. KAV + CF was great maybe 10 years ago.

As I've said in a previous post, Kaspersky Free includes the Safe Browsing module that automatically blocks malicious links:

zSZex8E.png

In my opinion, it is the most generously featured free AV out there. 

4 minutes ago, wildafrica said:

I switched to Comodo FW and Windows Defender. KAV + CF was great maybe 10 years ago.

While Defender is great for detection rate these days, it still has abysmal self-defense and can be easily tampered with. Its tamper protection is just not there. Kaspersky Free has more robust tamper protection, not to mention it is lighter on your system, and I always recommend it over Defender.

Edited by Crylune

6 minutes ago, Crylune said:

No idea what Shadow Defender is - looks sketch to me.

Please try again, with all other applications closed. Try setting an app to "Deny".

If it doesn't work, uncheck Perform recommended actions automatically and try again. Try with "Ask user" as well.

Shadow Defender is great for testing software for me.

What is Shadow Defender ?

Shadow Defender is an easy-to-use security solution (for Windows operating systems) that protects your PC/laptop real environment against malicious activities and unwanted changes.

Shadow Defender can run your system in a virtual environment called 'Shadow Mode'. 'Shadow Mode' redirects each system change to a virtual environment with no change to your real environment. If you experience malicious activities and/or unwanted changes, perform a reboot to restore your system back to its original state, as if nothing happened.
---------------------------------------------------

So I will try it again. Maybe I'll try again, because if it works on your PC, it must work on mine.  Maybe Kaspersky was bothered by Shadow Defender, or maybe I overlooked the setting you write about somewhere. I only searched the Firewall settings. Neither DENY nor ASK USER worked in my Kaspersky firewall. It was strange to me because in older versions of Kaspersky it was possible to change it. But I figured maybe they just did it all automatically.

2 hours ago, wildafrica said:
  • 1. I don't know what Claripi is. I was just looking for an image as an example of what I would like and found this one first on Google.
  • 2. Yes, for a 10 year old child.
  • 3. Czech Rep.

Hello @wildafrica

1. READ: Safe Browsing - image 1
  2. In the Kaspersky*Free* application, any modules that are not available are marked - refer image 2 
  3. (You) can *test* the efficacy of Kaspersky's Safe Browser - use AMTSO or Wicar or your own choice - see Kaspersky Free Report - image 3 
  4. Make sure (you) enroll in KSN when installing Kaspersky Free OR enable it after the installion. 
  5. Kaspersky also has Kaspersky Safe Kids in a Free version, which may be suitable if a child is using the computer & there's no other parental control software installed: KSK, Types of subscriptions and their differences in functionality

1-kfree-modules.thumb.jpg.871103a41f0eed33e9b8c3514fe9d3c9.jpg

2-NOT-FREE.thumb.jpg.49b044fea889ba94cab015a0d35337f9.jpg

K-REPORTS.thumb.jpg.5149c109c50bcdb0f609fbb784fcf91f.jpg

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
grammar
  • Like 1

• The topic was locked