Edge and Chrome (possibly Chrome-based browsers in general) got soft-blocked by Kaspersky

Desphardes
Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

My problem started a few days ago when Edge suddenly decided not to connect to the internet at all. This was right after the latest Windows update (a batch Net Framework update if I remember correctly) and I thought that was the problem. Tried rolling the update back. No use. Reinstalled the update, and no change at all as expected.

As a temporary solution, I downloaded and started using Chrome, which worked perfectly all along the same day I installed it. But the next day, the same thing happened. Impossible to connect to any website. Basically I would get a "The connection was reset" error immediately without any attempt to load the page. The same thing that happened with Edge.

I should probably note at this point that Firefox, my primary browser, was working flawlessly all along. This made me think that Kaspersky might have somehow ended up restricting Edge. A weird idea, but I went ahead and checked. To my surprise and also not surprisingly at the same time, there was no restriction in the application controls. I even manually looked it up among the listed applications in Kaspersky. It was allowed along with its numerous extensions/companion apps like webview etc.

I still decided to shut down Kaspersky and try that way as a desperate attempt. But what do you know? The moment I shut down Kaspersky, I could easily use both Edge and Chrome. This is to say, Kaspersky was soft-blocking both browsers. To be 100% sure, I tried both of them multiple times when Kaspersky was on and off.

In the end, I had to uninstall Kaspersky Total Security altogether for 2 reasons: My license already had 17 days or so left and I definitely needed a second Chrome-based browser to be open on one side.

I am sorry that I don't have screenshots or files. I tried to describe the process as thoroughly as possible, but I resolved it by uninstalling, as I already stated above. The reason I started this topic is to make the issue known and addressed. Kaspersky has been my irreplacable antivirus for years with no alternative. This little incident was a real punch in the gut though. I hope it gets resolved.

1 hour ago, Desphardes said:

I resolved it by uninstalling.

Hello @Desphardes

Welcome!

1. When the Kaspersky software was uninstalled, do you recollect which check boxes were checked
  2. Have you tried a clean install of KTS - since the uninstall? 
  • (ioo, had the software not been removed), the issue may have been rectified by using a solution provided by @Igor Kurzin, & or uninstalling & clean installing the software?

Please let us know? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife

Hello Flood,

1. If I remember correctly, I chose to keep only the license information.

2. I didn't try a clean install, mostly because of my license being on the verge of running out.

3. I would actually seek help here prior to uninstalling, but I went due the license issue (and also because it was kind of hampering my work, and I needed a quick fix).

• Like 1

• Solution
Just now, Desphardes said:

Hello Flood,

1. If I remember correctly, I chose to keep only the license information.
  2. I didn't try a clean install, mostly because of my license being on the verge of running out.
  3. I would actually seek help here prior to uninstalling, but I went due the license issue (and also because it was kind of hampering my work, and I needed a quick fix).

Hello @Desphardes

Thank you for posting back & the information!

1. *Saving License information only* is ideal for this situation. 
  2. (ioo), by uninstalling, you may have *cleared* the issue, you actually won't know, unless you (clean) install Kaspersky software again; if the issue were to repeat; the Community would direct you to contact Kaspersky support, simply because an analysis of logs, traces, data, would be required & that cannot be done in the Community, it's a community rule that exists to protect everyone's privacy.
  3. The other option, if the license is expiring soon, is to consider using one of the products from Kaspersky's new range: Kaspersky: Basic, Standard, Plus, Premium - by Danila T.  ?

Thank you?
Flood?+?