Certificate verification problem detected on Safe Money/Protected Browser

hknydn

Today, I'm no longer able to to open any of my usual online banking sites using Kaspersky's protected browser due to certificate verification errors. It's the same on four different banks that I use. Kaspersky is up-to-date in terms of definitions and its version is 21.3.10.391. The browser I'm using is Google Chrome. Restarting the browser or the PC did not help. Please advise.

The error message popping up is:

Certificate verification problem detected

Certificate verification service is not available (error: 0x000000ff)

image.thumb.png.715afbc9d646200cc3a5dc6035e130be.png

4 hours ago, hknydn said:

Today, I'm no longer able to to open any of my usual online banking sites using Kaspersky's protected browser due to certificate verification errors. It's the same on four different banks that I use. Kaspersky Internet Security is up-to-date in terms of definitions and its version is 21.3.10.391. The browser I'm using is Google Chrome. Restarting the browser or the PC did not help. Please advise.

The error message popping up is:

Certificate verification problem detected

Certificate verification service is not available (error: 0x000000ff)

Hello @hknydn

Welcome!

*Please note update from @Danila T. below, IF (your) location is the US, *readtopic US Government Ban on private use of Kaspersky anti-virus, @Danila T. has posted two replies advising about the transition to UltraAV*

1. Create a System Restore Point.
  2. Make sure (you) have the KIS Activation code - look in (your) MyKaspersky account, Subscription tab. 
  3. Export KIS Settings: read: How to export application settings.
  4. Download Kaspersky Standard.
  5. Exit all browsers, 
  6. Proceed with the upgrade.
  7. *IMPORTANT* When Kaspersky Standard has been installed & the computer has been rebooted, make sure to sign into Kaspersky Standard from the Kaspersky Standard application so the application & (your) MyKaspersky account synchronise

Any issues or concerns please post back? 
Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
IF location is US, US Government Ban on private use of Kaspersky anti-virus, transition to UltraAV applies

Hello @hknydn!

Also please note:

Guide on Kaspersky software availability in the United States

Starting from September 29, Kaspersky antivirus and cybersecurity products will be limited in functionality. Limitations will be implemented gradually, starting from September 10 through to September 29.

Safe Money feature will stop receiving updates. This may lead to the following errors when entering the Protected Browser mode, even for trusted websites:

• “Certificate verification problem” error with an option to continue browsing
  • “There is a problem checking the certificate for HTTPS connections”
  • Amber frame will appear around the browser window while using trusted banking websites through Safe Money

https://support.kaspersky.com/us/faq/2024-us-sales-statement

• Like 3

I also have this problem starting this morning on all my safe sites. I don't think a new install will buy me diddly! So bottom line, I'm gonna lose 4 months on my Kaspersky account which is sad as this is the only anti virus software i ever used since it came out.

I'm having same issue - unable to log into my banks with safe money all day now.    Certificate problem.  Tried uninstalling Kaspersky and reinstalling and giving permission to bank sites - but not working.   Article from Danila says to transition to UltraAV but there is no download availability.    What is the easiest way to remedy this issue for a non tech person?

Why was there no notification and warnings to users in the US?

I just had an informative chat - transcript below:

Just read the hard-to-find support article that US govt. is basically shutting down use of Kaspersky. Basic question - what good is kaspersky in the current moment, especially when certificates can't be checked in safe money?

You

19.09.2024 7:25

The Kaspersky product on your computer can still provide some protection on your device through heuristic analysis.

Operator

19.09.2024 7:26

what is UltraAV?

You

19.09.2024 7:26

UltraAV is a security product of Pango, another security company which we partnered with to ensure that our customer will continue having protection on their devices and will get the services that they paid despite the situation that we are in right now.

Operator

19.09.2024 7:28

link to download?

You

19.09.2024 7:28

You do not need to download them as the Kaspersky Windows apps will be silently migrated to UltraAV apps without opt-ins/opt-outs, - Kaspersky will silently uninstall itself and install Ultra instead. Exception: Kaspersky 2018 and older cannot be silently updated, instead users will be requested to manually remove Kaspersky and install Ultra AV.

Operator

19.09.2024 7:29

Phaseout functions were Sept 10-29. Will UltraAV be silently installed by end of September?

You

19.09.2024 7:31

Yes. The timeline started from the 17th of September and targeted to be completed by the 29th.

Operator

19.09.2024 7:31

OK lastly please - is there any point in running Safe Money or Launch Financial Web SIte in Protected Browser ... vs. running in a standard browser (non-safe money) window?

You

19.09.2024 7:32

Long answer:

We apologize to inform you that due to the recent ruling of the US. Dept. of Commerce restricting our products in the USA, Kaspersky updates to U.S. IP addresses will not be available and certain other limitations apply.

Limitations will be implemented gradually, starting from September 10 through to September 29.

Safe Money feature will stop receiving updates. This may lead to the following errors when entering the Protected Browser mode, even for trusted websites:

• “Certificate verification problem” error with an option to continue browsing
• “There is a problem checking the certificate for HTTPS connections”
• Amber frame will appear around the browser window while using trusted banking websites through Safe Money

You can still access your trusted site by clicking I understand the risks and want to continue. Or they can also access the same site outside the Safe Money Protected Browser.

All official information regarding solution functionality, subscriptions, and other matters can be found here: https://support.kaspersky.com/us/faq/2024-us-sales-statement

Operator

19.09.2024 7:32

Short answer: It is better not to us Safe Money at the moment.

Operator

19.09.2024 7:33

• Thanks 1

thanks for the replies. I am indeed a customer in the U.S. so it looks time it's time to set sail from this harbor. I will look into the suggested Ultra AV and other options; and make an informed decision.

• Thanks 1