win10 laptop will not boot blames klif.sys file

My daughter's win10 laptop had a few updates the other day and now will not boot. It displays the following message :

SYSTEM_SCAN_AT_RAISED_IRQL_CAUGHT_IMPROPER_DRIVER_UNLOAD

What failed klif.sys

Her password is not accepted either.

How is a Kaspersky file involved in this?

Thanks for any input.

In case any of you are affected by the issue raised above, look away now...

Here is what technical support replied to me:

< I understand how important it is for you to get this resolved, let me do my best to sort this out.
Let me acquaint you with the situation.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, what I would like to suggest to you regarding this issue would be, you can get assistance from your local IT technician as your laptop issue was related to your Operating System. We may assist you if you can already successfully sign in to your laptop.

Thank you and have a nice day!  >

So Kaspersky bricks a laptop (not for the first time with the klif.sys file), then tells me to fix it myself.

No offer to pay for the repair, however.

I couldn't originally but after getting into bios and altering settings found it would. So managed to roll back the win10 updates and all came good - thankfully the pin method of logging in worked as password still not accepted. Uninstalled Kaspersky until such time as cause of problem is found.

Thanks for the suggestion suggestion but I had found the way in by then.

Windows updates eh? I've heard of them...

• Like 1

I've had the same problem the last couple of weeks, and, after a Google search and reading other posts on what seems to be a common issue, was able to boot into Command Prompt, find the klif.sys file (in Windows/System32/Drivers), rename it to klif.old and reboot, which got me to my desktop. What I don't know is what I have to do to keep Kapersky running properly, because the klif.sys file doesn't seem to have been replaced/updated...or at least hasn't been yet.

A  E