Will i Be able to reinstall Kaspersky Internet Security

Kaspersky213
Go to solution Solved by garioch7,

Kaspersky213

I don't want to use ultra av, but was told it would be auto installed. What would happen if i continued to use kaspersky 

Kaspersky213

I understand that, but i have been a kaspersky customer since 2021, and I dont have any problem with the software not being updated if it continues to work for at least 4 years

• Solution

@Kaspersky213,

IF you are in the United States, which is what I am perhaps erroneously presuming, the primary issue is that the virus/malware landscape changes constantly.  To be properly protected from cyber threats, you need current versions and signature updates to your AV product.

US law now prohibits Kaspersky from providing those to you.  If you continue to use Kaspersky, for now at least, you should be automatically upgraded to UltraAV without your consent.  The only way to avoid that is to uninstall Kaspersky, if you are in the United States and purchased Kaspersky there.  Otherwise, you could uninstall Kaspersky, activate Windows Defender, if you are a Windows user, or purchase another paid Windows AV product.

It is your computer, so it IS YOUR DECISION.   Have a great day.

Regards,
Phil

• Like 1

On 9/29/2024 at 11:57 AM, Kaspersky213 said:

I understand that, but i have been a kaspersky customer since 2021, and I dont have any problem with the software not being updated if it continues to work for at least 4 years

Anti-virus programs work because of anti-virus definition updates. The vast majority of the effectiveness of anti-virus software is being reactive to known viruses that match signatures from definition updates.

At a minimum, anti-virus software definition updates are updated daily for the vast majority of AV software programs on the market. Kaspersky has been noted that they updates every two hours.

If updates for your AV install are stopped at the end of Sept 2024, any new viruses discovered after this point in time, your software will be blind to it. The longer the software goes without updates, the more ineffective it becomes. In 4 years, it will "work" in the sense of the software displays a screen, but it will essentially not work at being useful detecting viruses.

Larry Guy

i have to say, this past week has really taught me how to use and configure Kaspersky. i've had to uninstall Ultraav and reinstall Kaspersky like 5-7 times. heh. then i realized, why not use the anti-virus to block it from keep happening. use application control and block ultra and maxsecure, use the firewall check all your notifications except some information ones and uncheck perform recommended action automatically so you can decide and see whats going on. uncheck trust digitally signed apps. uncheck load rules for apps from KSN so it doesn't happen again i think. hopefully i can stop worrying about losing Kaspersky.

this may sound corny but i've been waiting my entire life for an anti-virus like Kaspersky. it's a wonderful program. it has everything you need. easy to use. i have 200 days left. and using for the past 5 years first time i can ever say i've never gotten a virus. even on default settings not knowing or caring how to fully use it. 30 years ago i used a 'heuristic' scanner Thunderbyte. back then you always got infected and lost windows.

i'll turn up the heuristics and firewall notifications and take my chances with a non-updated Kaspersky than any other updated anti-virus. also, i've been wondering, sure the cloud network and definitions help. i've never trusted windows defender but you don't see them downloading definitions every hour. and you'd have to keep windows updates current, which can occasionally knock out your Wi-Fi drivers and probably put more bloatware on your puter. anyways..

Thank you Kaspersky for protecting my computer for the last 5 years. i will miss you. but i am going to try to keep using it, hopefully, for as long as i can even without updates.

garioch7

@Larry Guy ,

Welcome to the Kaspersky Forums.  Your loyalty to Kaspersky is understandable.  I would be outraged if I were a US citizen at the government denying me the right to choose my cybersecurity solution.  As a certified malware removal expert and instructor, I think Kaspersky is the best AV product.  I migrated to Kaspersky from Bitdefender (the #2 in AV Comparatives Lab testing last year).

That said, even Kaspersky recognizes that without signature and version updates, their US customers would be at increasing of malware infections.  New malware, particularly ransomware variants, are being released constantly into the cybersphere.  That is why they migrated their customers to a new AV product.  I do neither agree with their choice of product nor the way the migration was handled, but the intent was to protect their US customers.

I would discourage you from continuing to rely on Kaspersky when it is no longer updated.  It is your computer, so it is your choice.  At the very least, implement a very robust backup strategy with offline backups to protect your computer(s) from a malware attack.  That should be done by everyone, regardless of their AV solution.  No AV, not even Kaspersky, can protect you from all of the malware threats, all of the time.

Stay safe in cyberspace.  Have a great day.

Regards,
Phil

Larry Guy

hi phil, the title of the thread Will i Be able to reinstall Kaspersky Internet Security.. so i am assuming because it's past sep 30 the answer is no because the cord has been cut between us and the mothership. and i think the ability to redownload the setup file was disabled for us before that. i had saved my setup file but i doubt it would work now, you need Kaspersky to install it. i think my version is 2021 so i wanted to get at least one update. i may never be able to get Kaspersky again. i bought another laptop recently, not because of this. have a license for 3 computers so wanted to get in on that one before sep 30.

i understand the average user should have a set and forget anti-virus. it took me 5 years to really start using it. i have 233 days on subscription, another question is will some features become disabled afterwards or will it stay the same and i just won't get updates. i was also saying this past week has been a positive experience for me because it forced me to learn how to configure Kaspersky and take advantage of all it's features. before i mostly only cared about the popup blocker, if your someone that looks at popups like your being held at knife point. lol. but now im using the firewall and blocking things like microsoft edge and gamingservices and anything else running in the back round that windows won't let me disable. i enabled all notifications on the firewall except information: packed object detected, archive, link, they give too many notifications. i did have a few issues connecting at first today deciding what to block or not. but i am in control of my computer and operating system now. i used Kaspersky to block Kaspersky from removing it. heh. that tells you how good it is. with the firewall notifications all checked, once you are connected you barely get any notifications and just block it except the web browser for that session. 

over the years each new version of windows seems to push the user farther away from it's guts. windows 11 may be able to do more things than windows 95 but good luck finding how to do it. this is what i like about Kaspersky and what i mean about taking control of my computer. i'm not going to willingly give up the best anti-virus because my definitions are out of date. would i rather be connected to the cloud network and be up to date, sure. but if i had known this might be the last copy i can get i would've bought a 5 year license. 

also the side conversation is like immunology. definitions are like your adaptive immune system and vaccine and heuristics are your innate and natural immunity. a real virus only has to be 62% similar to be recognized. 

it's been fun chatting. you have a great day too.

garioch7

@Larry Guy,

If you have prevented UltraAV from installing itself, then I don't think that Kaspersky will cease to function or any of its protection modules, BUT your computer(s) will be at increasing risk as the days, weeks, and months go on.

Immunology is an interesting analogy, but not completely relevant to the emerging malware threats in the cybersphere.  There is a reason why reputable AV companies expend such vast sums of money identifying and creating the capability to recognize and nullify new and emerging malware variants.

It is YOUR computer.  It is YOUR choice.

Personally, if I were a US citizen, I would be outraged that my government took away my freedom of choice to use the best AV product in the world.

That said, in your situation, I would be looking for a new, reputable AV.  The AV Comparative Labs tests are impartial and universally respected by those of us in the malware removal community.

Remember to have a robust backup strategy also, please.

Have a great day.

Regards,
Phil

Larry Guy

some protection modules stop after the subscription. in 6 months. i like kaspersky because i trust it not to let legit things i don't want get on my computer. back in the day you couldn't run Norton without installing potentially unwanted programs. heh. and good luck keeping microsoft in check. i had to use a command to get around having internet and sign up on the new laptop. maybe the issue is Kaspersky is so good at keeping crap off your computer they banned it. but i did use a vpn and get an update it was 13mb, so i might've been walking around with 3 year old definitions. you mentioned in other posts your from the north, i'm not too far. there was a canadian lynx in our state. hopefully not but i can see you guys getting it banned too. although they would've done it already. then you'll be asking me about my strategy to keep kaspersky. and because i like the internet security version it makes it harder. but the ban costs ppl jobs. Kaspersky had an office in the state i lived in. also, i'd rather pay the extra money and do things the right way but now i'm thinking where can i get a license for my version and using vpns. so the ban has the opposite effect. which usually happens.

if you compare the number of computer viruses to real viruses, mutations or risk of infection some caution is warranted in cyberspace. if you compare the money spent on anti-virus to pharma some caution is warranted.

have a great day too