VPN Secure Connection fails to connect

Go to solution Solved by Guilhermesene4096,

I have a full version of VPN Secure Connection (v 21.15.8.493) used with Windows 11 on a LG Gram laptop with strong WiFi connection, and the VPN fails to connect when the laptop is woken from sleep or shut down mode. The on-off toggle switch indicates attempted connection, with "connecting..." shown underneath. The VPN never connects and I cannot turn it off until I turn off the laptop and re-boot. I also cannot change the country server. Clicking the on-off toggle button after re-boot results in the same problem. The only way I have found to get back to normal function is to re-install the program, but doing that every day is clearly not practical. Advice please...

• Solution

@WashandWelcome

I've never seen this problem before, very strange 🤔

Try the following process:

Spoiler
  • Uninstall Kaspersky Secure Connection
  • Restart your computer
  • Clean up temporary files and leftovers from the removed installation
  • Download and install the latest version KVPN
  • Restart your computer
  • Try using the VPN again
  • Check if the problem persists

If possible, give feedback 👍

Support links:
Edited by Guilhermesene4096
  • Like 2

Thanks for the feedback and help. I followed your instructions and now have version 21.16.6.467 installed. I deleted temporary files but I'm not sure if that clears everything from the previous install. I also have Total Internet Security installed, and so during installation, the installer asked if I wanted to connect to my account. I responded "yes". So far, the VPN is working and I can select the server country, but the real test comes when it's in daily use and restarted repeatedly. I'll obviously update if the problem continues.

• Like 2

Well, it didn't last long... After a couple of days working, I'm now back with the same problem. This time, I can access the list of country servers, but if I select a different one, it does not change. If I click on the on/off toggle switch, the button disappears and the switch background turns green-red and it hangs forever until I quite with the "close" (X) icon. It states underneath that "Your connection is secure". A quick check of my IP address shows that the VPN is not working. I attach before click (left) and after click photos.VPNIssue.thumb.jpg.1c638660a2688bc02a96f6496228d760.jpg

Thanks. If it was the OS, I would expect to have the problem constantly, but I just reinstalled the VPN and it now works again. Over the last 2 days, it worked from sleep mode and from stut down, no problem. But after the second waking from sleep mode today, it stopped working. Does it matter what country you are in, or you choose for the server? Thanks for the technical support link.

@WashandWelcome back.

Well, as I told you before, I haven't seen any similar reports in the community about this problem yet.

As it is a strange problem and not yet reported here, we suspect that it MAY be something in the operating system/installed programs that is causing this instability in the VPN (perhaps due to some incompatibility? - we still don't know the exact cause, so we suspect)

I believe that changing servers should not influence the problem because what is causing the crash is the KVPN application as a whole, but only technical support can confirm this information for you.

As I told you previously, contact technical support → Technical Support

Edited by Guilhermesene4096

For what it's worth, I've been having this "VPN fails to connect and freezes" problem about once a day since I (clean) installed the new suite of products in December. I don't know how to fix it for good, BUT! This is the low-effort-required quick-fix that I discovered and use every time it happens:

1. When it freezes, open the Task Manager and find THIS "Kaspersky Lab Launcher" process (there are three; this one is only for the VPN and will keep your main Kaspersky app still running)
    VPNfreezes.thumb.jpg.0d57ab43aaf7bebe0d8890200408c2d6.jpg
  2. Right-click on the Launcher process (not the VPN service in the expanded menu) and select "End Task." This will shut down the VPN app.
  3. Manually launch the VPN app again; it should now work (at least it does, for me... until the next time it freezes)

It's easier than rebooting your computer or reinstalling the VPN, at least. Hopefully the issue will be properly resolved soon!

My info:
Windows 10 x64 Home 22H2
Kaspersky Premium 21.15.8.493(a)
internet connection via ethernet cable
HP Pavilion laptop

Edited by tcwe

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for that suggestion. I have changed country and the problem has disappeared (for now). I'm not sure why that should make a difference, but it seems to be the only variable that has changed.