Very small available space to shrink partition

MatthewI
Go to solution Solved by rhubear,

Hello,

I need to install Ubuntu as secondary operating system besides Windows 10. Therefore, I need to shrink my C drive partition for around 30-40 GB so I can add new partitions for Ubuntu. However, I‘m encountering an issue where I can only shrink my C partition just under 1 GB as seen below:

Just under 1 GB of available space to shrink partition

Then I opened the defrag event logs in Event Viewer to see what caused the issue. Then I found an event which stated that Kaspersky claims disk space which are unmovable, therefore reducing the available space to shrink my C partition as seen below:

A volume shrink analysis was initiated on volume OS (C:). This event log entry details information about the last unmovable file that could limit the maximum number of reclaimable bytes.

Diagnostic details:
 - The last unmovable file appears to be: \ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\SafeBrowser\Common\S-1-5-21-3555740813-3646381717-3225172309-1001\Chrome\Default\Reporting and NEL::$DATA
 - The last cluster of the file is: 0x373039d
 - Shrink potential target (LCN address): 0x112d4c7
 - The NTFS file flags are: ----D
 - Shrink phase: <analysis>

To find more details about this file please use the "fsutil volume querycluster \\?\Volume{80e1f51f-6c3e-4bd2-a6ff-0ad0e7976397} 0x373039d" command.

Does anyone knows how to resolve these issue? Currently my C partition has more than 140 GB of free space. I do not want to lost my license by uninstalling Kaspersky Internet Security if possible.

My current Kaspersky Internet Security version is 21.1.15.500(c).

Any help would be very appreciated!

• Solution

You want to dual boot??

That is so 90s, or is that 80s!…..

Better to choose your primary OS, & use your secondary OS in a VM.

If you REALLY want to dual boot, and a Kaspersky install is getting in the way, probably temporarily uninstall Kaspersky, complete your partition shrinking, reinstall kaspersky.

You want to dual boot??

That is so 90s, or is that 80s!…..

Better to choose your primary OS, & use your secondary OS in a VM.

If you REALLY want to dual boot, and a Kaspersky install is getting in the way, probably temporarily uninstall Kaspersky, complete your partition shrinking, reinstall kaspersky.

Ok, but how to not lose my current license? I’ve signed in to My Kaspersky, however I worried about not being able to reactivate Kaspersky after reinstalling it.

• 3 weeks later...

There are Best Toys for kids of all ages from where you can get good quality toys, they are designed in very good quality, so that you can gift your children, their design is very stylish.