Running KAV within VM to scan underlying Windows 10 host system - Possible?

Spection
Go to solution Solved by Schulte,

I don't want to have Kaspersky permanently installed in my Windows 10 system because it's too intrusive and it keeps telling me to uninstall my COMODO free firewall (which I love and will NEVER uninstall). Another annoyance is that I code in AutoIt a lot, so because that language is used by hackers extensively, I get thousands of false positives.

KAV is a good product, but I ONLY want to use it on demand.. The only way I can see doing this is to run KAV in a Windows virtual machine and give it access to the rest of my host files. Can anyone tell me if this will work? And if you have any suggestions or warnings?

Thanks!

• Solution

Hello @Spection, Welcome.

I don't think it's a really good idea.
By sharing access you can scan a lot of files, but KAV will not be able to access the important system files and system drivers. With these it is important that their behavior is also monitored for suspicious actions. There are restrictions from within a VM, which is what a VM is for.

If you only want to do an on demand scan, the 'Kaspersky Rescue Disk' might be the better solution. KRD also scans files that you can't reach from the VM.

PS: KAV runs well with your firewall. When installing KAV, you can also skip the suggested uninstall.

• Like 3