Rescue disk KRD 2018 persistence only works on Removable USB drives [Solved][Closed]

SteveSi
Go to solution Solved by Andrey Kirzhemanov,

The 'Create persistent volume' start menu script creates a \data\krd.bs file when booting from a USB hard disk, but persistence does not work when you reboot and there is no \livemnt\backstore or \livemnt\boot. It works OK only if the USB drive is a Removable type of USB drive. This means we cannot have persistence when using multiboot USB hard disks, USB Corsair GTX flash drive or USB Silverstone M.2 drive enclosures, etc,

Thanks, that works. I have a problem with UEFI booting though... re. UEFI booting, the latest ISO has \boot\EFI folder with \EFI\boot\bootx64.efi 2019-08-08 \EFI\boot\krd_grub.efi 2019-08-08 'Something goes wrong with config (hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub/grub.cfg' but if I add \EFI\boot\grubx64.efi and bootx64.efi from an Ubuntu ISO it works OK. Any ideas?

'Something goes wrong with config (hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub/grub.cfg' but if I add \EFI\boot\grubx64.efi from an Ubuntu ISO it works OK. Any ideas?
Is Secure Boot is active on this UEFI machine? Did you change this grub.cfg?
P.S. I can just see the initial error message 'unknown filesystem' before the 'Something goes wrong..' error message. I think maybe FAT32 (standard UEFI filesystem format) is not supported by UEFI boot files?
Provide screenshot with this errors, please.

This is just before the 'Something goes wrong...' message appears. Not Secure Boot. Happens under VirtualBox booting from FAT32 USB drive and real system. USB drive was not made using dd but by MBR partition + FAT32 volume. Standard grub2 Ubuntu boot files work fine. grub.cfg was not modified - it still has commented out lines as in latest ISO. set default=0 set timeout=10 set answer=0 clear #echo -n "Press ESC to load Kaspersky Rescue Disk... " #if sleep --verbose --interruptible ${timeout} ; then # set timeout=0 # set default=0 # source /boot/grub/cfg/en.cfg # source /boot/grub/${grub_cpu}-${grub_platform}/cfg/boot_from_hard.cfg #else source /boot/grub/cfg/lang_menu.cfg #fi

Thank you for screenshot! So, "error: unknown filesystem." is known situation and grub tries to find files (see next line). And accoridnig to: 'Something goes wrong with config (hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub/grub.cfg' config was found. But there were line: Check signature state is enforce says that grub validating all accessing files by signature (you can see *.sig files near all other files). If you modified one of config or module then signature verification will be failed (this mode is active only for UEFI x86-64 mode). So, all grub config/module modifications are inaccessible now (even if Secure Boot is off due to we can't check state of Secure boot from grub configs). Grub from Ubuntu don't enable signature verification mode (they use unoffictial patches to prevent loading unsigned modules on Secure Boot).

OK - If I use all original files from the ISO then it UEFI-boots, but if I modify kav_menu.cfg to add backstore=alldev then it will not boot. I can select English and press ENTER but nothing happens. If I restore original kav_menu.cfg then it boots (but no persistence). So how can I have persistence with a USB hard disk on UEFI-boot?