Password Check shows unique in red and says it's used 4 times. What does that mean?

I’ve just installed password manager and began changing passwords for my various accounts. I find this process to be confusing because when I changed the user name and password for an account and checked it in password manager it indicates that the password is only medium strength even though it’s 12 characters with numerals and symbols and also indicates that it’s not unique, being used 4 times. does this mean it’s being used by someone else?

Hello @Ozy Man

Welcome!

No, 

Not unique - Password requires attention - passwords generally mean, the same password has been used for more than one website; foe example, if we were to use password: abcdefghijklm for kaspersky.com & community.kaspersky.com, Not unique - Password requires attention, would show.

There’s been Not unique - Password requires attention improvement requests, that Kaspersky have acknowledged, refer:

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Thank you for your prompt reply. You have alleviated my concern. It does look to me like there is more of a learning curve to using KPM than was indicated in the reviews I searched and read.

Hello @Ozy Man

You’re more welcome☺ 

The updated password check features are relatively new, so there’s always something to learn; a few hints:

1. Sometimes, a website, will have a policy, that forces the user to use passwords that are not “best practice” compliant; for example, our ISP, makes us use a 4 character numerical password; clearly, KPM flags this as not unique → there’s no facility atm, to tell KPM to ignore this breach; the issue is in hand with Kaspersky experts for fixing.
  2. In any Kaspersky application, where ever there’s a ❔(no 3 in our image), selecting it will open Help documentation, specific to the window of the GUI that’s been opened - for example, the ❔ opens Password check
  3. Before making any changes to any Kaspersky application, always make a backup and always export Data or Settings, then, if something goes pear shaped, it’s easy to recover. 
  4. KPM Master password is never known or stored by Kaspersky, if the Master password is lost or cannot be remembered, there’s nothing Kaspersky can do to assist, there are no Kaspersky tools to recover the KPM Master password → if it’s lost or forgotten, you’ll loose access to anything stored in the KPM vault. 
  5. If you ever get stuck or need help, always ask, we’ll  always help if we can!

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋