My Kaspersky Internet Security Didn't Identify ""Reimage" As a PUP [Solved] [Closed]

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

I downloaded a program called Reimage while trying to solve a connection issue. Since the name and the website seemed shady, i used my Kaspersky to scan the download exe. This scan came back as clean so i downloaded the program.

But later when i searched more into this program on the web, i came across many examples and websites classifying this as a virus or a PUP.

Why didn’t Kaspersky recognize this threat?

Website for the malicious program: https : // www . reimageplus . com/

//Mod Note: URL edited.

• Solution

Hello @cagatayakman

Welcome!

• Potentially Unwanted Program, also called in short as PUP, is a software that contains adware, installs toolbars or has other unclear objectives.
  • 8 engines detect reimagerepair 
  • Kaspersky Virus Lab indicates reimagerepair is safe, as does a individual object scan & KSN evaluation. 
  • You may wish to submit the file to Kaspersky Technical Support, zip the file, protect it with a password, tell Support the password, ask them to explain why they determine it to be safe when other engines indicate it’s not? 
  • FYI: it’s not recommended to post links that are potentially unsafe. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Also,

From time to time I usually send this installer (and the URL site) to Kaspersky Virus Desk Service, but usually They consider this tool as not malicious.

It is digitally signed and trusted in KSN:

But it’s also truth that some av firms consider it as PUP/PUA:

I’ve already sent it again to KVD, waiting final verdict of K analysts…

Hello @cagatayakman

Welcome!

• Potentially Unwanted Program, also called in short as PUP, is a software that contains adware, installs toolbars or has other unclear objectives.
  • 8 engines detect reimagerepair 
  • Kaspersky Virus Lab indicates reimagerepair is safe, as does a individual object scan & KSN evaluation. 
  • You may wish to submit the file to Kaspersky Technical Support, zip the file, protect it with a password, tell Support the password, ask them to explain why they determine it to be safe when other engines indicate it’s not? 
  • FYI: it’s not recommended to post links that are potentially unsafe. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Thank you! I will be sending the file to Technical Support.

Also thanks for notifying me about the procedure of posting possibly malicious links

Also,

From time to time I usually send this installer (and the URL site) to Kaspersky Virus Desk Service, but usually They consider this tool as not malicious.

It is digitally signed and trusted in KSN:

But it’s also truth that some av firms consider it as PUP/PUA:

I’ve already sent it again to KVD, waiting final verdict of K analysts…

Thank you! I am eagerly waiting for the final verdict.

Final Verdict for URL site:

Hello,

No malicious software was found on the website you have sent. The malicious code was probably removed from the server.
If you have a local copy of the suspicious file, please send it in an archive with the password 'infected' (without quotes).

Best regards,

Final Verdict for the installer:

Hello,

No malicious software was found in the attached file.

Best regards,