"Microsoft Edge is using your Webcam" notification appears randomly when not using Edge and clearing Edge data

Hello,

The first day after enabling Webcam control in Kaspersky, while regularly browsing with my broser (LibreWolf) i got a notification that Microsoft edge is using my webcam, even though I never use this browser. Of course at first i thought that this is a virus so performed a full scan as well as scan with HitmanPro in safe mode, but nothing was found. After that I tried to clean all browser data in Edge and noticed that this notification appears for a couple of seconds every time I clean browser data as well. So I wonder should I be concerned there is a virus which couldn't be found, is it a bug or Edge actually periodically randomly uses webcam for some reason?

Hello,

Welcome to the Kaspersky community.

13 minutes ago, Illi disse:

The first day after enabling Webcam control in Kaspersky, while regularly browsing with my broser (LibreWolf) i got a notification that Microsoft edge is using my webcam, even though I never use this browser.

This is normal, because Microsoft Edge, being the operating system's own default browser, runs many processes in the background (even if you haven't opened the browser)

Browsers based on the chromium engine (Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, among others) have this behavior by default (Most likely, some process being executed by the browser, such as an automatic update, for example, causes this behavior to happen)

13 minutes ago, Illi disse:

So I wonder should I be concerned there is a virus which couldn't be found, is it a bug or Edge actually periodically randomly uses webcam for some reason?

If you run the scan with Kaspersky and then ran another scan with HitmanPro and nothing was found, then there is nothing to worry about.

Sincerely,

Guilherme

1 hour ago, Illi said:

The first day after enabling Webcam control in Kaspersky, while regularly browsing with my broser (LibreWolf) i got a notification that Microsoft edge is using my webcam, even though I never use this browser. Of course at first i thought that this is a virus so performed a full scan as well as scan with HitmanPro in safe mode, but nothing was found. After that I tried to clean all browser data in Edge and noticed that this notification appears for a couple of seconds every time I clean browser data as well.

So I wonder should I be concerned there is a virus which couldn't be found, is it a bug or Edge actually periodically randomly uses webcam for some reason?

Hello @Illi

Welcome!

Is it a green notification at the top of the screen saying "Microsoft edge is using the webcam/mic" or something similar? IF ‘yes’, it’s an *old issue*, it's not a virus - do not be concerned, just an old problem that's never been fixed; it's up to users to manually fix it if it appears unfortunately - please follow these steps:

1. Go to Security, select Intrusion Prevention Settings.
  2. Select Manage applications.
  3. Find Edge in the list OR use the Search field to search for Edge – then - right click Edge, select Details and rules.
  4. Select Rights, scroll down to Access webcam and Access sound recording devices.
  5. Set both to Deny (red exclamation mark) on the right.
  6. Select Save.
  7. Select Confirm to confirm the action.webcam-deny.thumb.PNG.73bc6a815f816ff072493bbbf7822cd0.PNG

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
removed duplicate word

@Illi Welcome.

The [Intrusion Prevention Settings] are also available in [Privacy] → [Webcam and Mic Control] options :
"You can block or allow access to your webcam or mic for any particular app int the intrusion Prevention settings"

Also, in the search field please enter "Microsoft Edge"

Spoiler

k_wbecam_01.thumb.jpg.c66798c9e7e31679bc036bd21669c6d9.jpg

k_wbecam_02.thumb.jpg.001fd53e9b2820bbe008b591cf8ab0f9.jpg

"You can block or allow access to your webcam or mic for any particular app int the intrusion Prevention settings"

k_wbecam_03.thumb.jpg.88a083c73383d3755953a719f08558c1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1