Lost device whilst overseas senario

I am reluctant to change my passwords for banking and booking sites from low security ones that I can remember to high security ones generated by Kasperski that are impossible to remember. If my only device (smartphone) get lost, stolen or broken whilst travelling how am I suppose to get money transferred or book flights, hotels, hire cars, etc? just can't wrap my head around how to deal with this situation. Has anyone else thought this one through? I would be interested to know if you have a solution.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, spowers said:

I am reluctant to change my passwords for banking and booking sites from low security ones that I can remember to high security ones generated by Kasperski that are impossible to remember. 
If my only device (smartphone) get lost, stolen or broken whilst travelling how am I suppose to get money transferred or book flights, hotels, hire cars, etc? just can't wrap my head around how to deal with this situation. Has anyone else thought this one through? 
I would be interested to know if you have a solution.

Hello @spowers

Welcome!

• In the first instance - to use Kaspersky Password Manager (KPM) - the software must be installed on a Windows computer - this then becomes referred to as the KPM vault - the vault holds all of the data - once the vault is created & as long as Sync data across devices is ON - the data is *uploaded* to (your) MyKaspersky account = cloud - so - wherever you are in the universe - you'll have access to (your) data. 
  • You don't need to remember complex passwords for bank/booking sites - Kaspersky does it for you - you need to remember (1) the email address for (your) MyKaspersky account, (2) the password for (your) MyKaspersky account & (3) the KPM MASTER password (also referred to as MAIN password).
  • IF travelling & the phone is lost, install KPM software on a Windows computer, log into (your) MyKaspersky account, log into KPM. 
  1. The email address you use for (your) MyKaspersky account - this is the *same* email address you will use when you log into KPM on Windows the *first* time - during *setup*. 
  2. (your) MyKaspersky password. 
  3. MASTER / MAIN password - for the KPM vault - IF this is lost or forgotten Kaspersky cannot help youRead: What to do if you have forgotten the main password
  4. Once KPM is set-up (on Windows & or smartphone) Windows Hello & Biometric authentication can be used - BUT - IF the device -> is powered OFF - when it's powered ON again - the MASTER/MAIN password must be input *once* before continuing to use biometrics. 
  5. For (your) *own* security, KPM should be set to *Auto-lock* readSet up autolock. For smartphones the longest time available is 10minutes - for travelling -> we always use 3 minutes - it only takes a second to scan our fingerprint -> a minor imposition to protect our phone & data. 

For the smartphone - lost / stolen scenario - we don't know IF (you're) using *other* Kaspersky software (apart from KPM) but -> golden rules -  don't walk out the front door *unless* the following is done = *critical security*:

• Make sure Two Factor authentication is enabled - via SMS & AUTHENTICATOR. 
  • Make sure all important *phone* data is backed up to cloud on a *regular* schedule. 
  • Make sure you use *phone* authentication on the phone that *protects* it. 
  • Make sure Find-my-phone OR if (you're) using Kaspersky - Where Is My Device - is enabled. 
  • IF Where Is My Device is *not* turned ON *before* the phone goes missing, (you) *can't* use it to locate or remotely control the phone. 
  • For Where Is My Device  - don't wait until the phone is lost/stolen to work out how to do the following  - test them so, IF there's an emergency (you) can do them calmly:

Get the location of the missing device, lock it and show a message on the screen of the locked device.
Turn on a loud alarm on the device.
Take a mugshot of the person currently using the device  - this feature is only available on devices that have a front camera.
Uninstallation protection.

***IF there's an emergency ( lost / stolen phone for example) - in (your) MyKaspersky account - never select DISCONNECT - doing that will stop the connection between the phone & (your) MyKaspersky account  - (your) MyKaspersky account = command & control central. READ this: Disconnect a device from My Kaspersky***

Any questions or issues, please do not hesitate to post back? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
pn
  • Like 1

Thankyou Flood and Flood's wife for such a detailed response. I shall check through all of your advice for settings etc to make sure that I have got them right before travelling.

However I am still uncertain about changing my passwords to high security ones that I cannot remember because I fear that installing KPM on a borrowed laptop would be out of the question. I cannot believe that the staff at an airline or hotel counter having a laptop available that would allow that to happen.

We are all being bombarded with information about online security from government, banks etc etc advising us about secure and unique passwords but I am not seeing solutions developed that really offer practical solutions.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, spowers said:

I shall check through all of your advice for settings etc to make sure that I have got them right before travelling.

However I am still uncertain about changing my passwords to high security ones that I cannot remember because I fear that installing KPM on a borrowed laptop would be out of the question. I cannot believe that the staff at an airline or hotel counter having a laptop available that would allow that to happen.

We are all being bombarded with information about online security from government, banks etc etc advising us about secure and unique passwords but I am not seeing solutions developed that really offer practical solutions.

Hello @spowers

You're most welcome!

It's not necessary to remember any passwords *except* two, your KPM Master password - loose that & you're stuffed & your MyKaspersky password - loose that & you'll have to do reset & replace it, an annoyance you won't wish to be doing. image.thumb.gif.c860c2c32bd91a4a7867af8c8a19a824.gif

Borrowing a 'airline/hotel' laptop is the last thing we'd do if we were in the situation you're predicting. 

(IF) we were in (your) shoes - right now - we'd re-create the scenario (you) anticipate - without walking out of our front door & we'd *practice* it until we felt comfortable with the processes. 

There's dozens on password managers on the market - whether you select to use one or not is up to you.

*Watch* this:  

*Read* this: How to choose the right password manager – what to look out for.

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
added gif