KSC12 + MySQL + WinUpdates

Hallo,

I’m new here and will do my best to describe the situation. 

Our service provider wanted to install the KSC12 including a funktion that KSC12 will take care of the Windows Updates for the clients. We have a very poor internet connection. So the idea is that KSC12 downloads the update once and distributes it within out LAN.

Now the problem is that MS-SQL-Express has a 10GB limit. This limit is easily reached with Windows Updates.

I read that MySQL can be used instead of MS-SQL-Express. Unfortunately our service provider seems unable (or unwilling) to get the MySQL DB up and running.

Online I found entries to “KSC10 & MySQL” and I also found a txt file saying MySQL should work, but no further details. Link to the TXT document

Can you please help with:

1. Confirm that KSC12 is working with MySQL?
  2. Confirm that KSC12 with MySQL is able to handle the Windows Update distribution?
  3. Is it possible to add the MySQL DB later or additionally (MS-SQL-Express for “standard KSC” and MySQL for the Software/PatchDistribution?
  4. Any links to tutorials / documentation on what has to be done to make KSC12 work with MySQL in the way we need it

Thanks a lot for reading so far. Looking forward to your replies.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @MR_DWW,

I want to record a video tutorial with KSC + MySQL DB installation, but didn’t have time yet :(

But there is one answer crystal clear:
3. No, you can only use one DB with KSC. And unfortunately you cannot “change it later” .. If you want to change DB provider, you need to reinstall entire KSC. But you can backup/restore data, at least..

Will try to record the video soon, but can’t promise.. f-ing pandemic lockdown :(

Cheers,
Milan

Dear @MilanBortel

Thank you very much for your reply and also for answering question nr. 3! I really appreciate this!

A video is very nice, but it would be enough to get a step by step manual with occasional screenshots where it might not be obvious. 

E.g. something like (this is imaginary):

1. Get the latetest MySQL

(incl. relevant infomation e.g. here are mentioned 3 install types: Developer Default, Server Only, Custom)
  2. setup a blank Win Server (2016 in my case)
  3. Install MySQL
    1. server only
    2. use the installation path “C:/KSC_MySQL/foo/bar”
  4. Install Kaspersky KSC12
    1. When selecting DB select folder “C:/KSC_MySQL/foo/bar”
    2. type “kasperky -autoconnect -123”
  5. reboot server