KSC 12 - How can I Clear a Bloated FTSERVER Directory?

Good Day,

Has anyone encountered this before?  Following an upgrade I performed on KSC, getting it up to version 12.2.0.4376, I created a new task to Download Updates to the Admin Repository.  When this ran, the C drive on the server hosting the KSC ran out of space.  Using a space utility, I found that this directory had grown significantly: “C:\ProgramData\KasperskyLab\adminkit\1093\.working\FTServer”

The KSC is configured to drop off update files onto a different drive entirely.  I also do not use it for WSUS.  Checking the listed Software Updates in the Security Center, it appears that it has downloaded a large number of OS and third party application updates.  I’d like to get rid of these as they server no point and may be causing some of the bloat in that directory.  I cannot decline these updates to get rid of them as our license doesn’t support Vulnerability and Patch Management.  Attempting to delete them doesn’t appear to do anything.  I have tried multiple times and waited a week for “queued” task to proceed to no apparent improvement.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have recommendations on how to clear this up?  I might have missed something obvious, or neglected a tool that could be helpful.

Thanks for your time, and have a pleasant day,

KMCAKU

• 1 month later...

When using Kaspersky Security Center as a WSUS server, the following folders will gradually increase in size:
C:\ProgramData\KasperskyLab\adminkit\1093\.working\FTServer;
C:\ProgramData\KasperskyLab\adminkit\1093\.working\wusfiles.

You can empty not used Updates in the FTServer and wusfiles folders containing Microsoft updates in Kaspersky Security Center 11:

https://support.kaspersky.com/15304

Thanks for the replies.  Unfortunately, this process of deleting the files doesn’t seem to do anything in my case.  I can queue them up for deletion, but nothing ever seems to get purged.  Additionally, my installation of Kaspersky Security center does not serve a WSUS role.  The bloat doesn’t seem to be growing at least, so that’s some small benefit.

When using Kaspersky Security Center as a WSUS server, the following folders will gradually increase in size:
C:\ProgramData\KasperskyLab\adminkit\1093\.working\FTServer;
C:\ProgramData\KasperskyLab\adminkit\1093\.working\wusfiles.

You can empty not used Updates in the FTServer and wusfiles folders containing Microsoft updates in Kaspersky Security Center 11:

https://support.kaspersky.com/15304

Like said in the original post this proposed solution is not working.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just trying to wake up this thread I was following, I have the same issue, KSC 12 tell’s me that the updates are put in queue for deletion but that never happens, I have waited days now.

I tried selecting all at once and in small groups following the KB Article.

Thanks for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

To check/set that WUS via Kaspersky is disabled:

• KSC > admin agent policy > software updates
  • disable "... use as WSUS-Server"
  • disable "search for Windows-Updates"

We still had files in FTserver and WUSfiles and deleting it via the above mentioned KB didn't work for us.

So here I got from Support on how to manually delete said folders:

• stop and disable kladminserver service
  • delete the folders "C:\ProgramData\KasperskyLab\adminkit\1093\.working\FTServer" and "C:\ProgramData\KasperskyLab\adminkit\1093\.working\wusfiles"
  • (I also deleted "C:\ProgramData\KasperskyLab\adminkit\1093\.working\share\Updates\updates\bin", as there were 12gb of old KES installations...)
  • set the following Registry keys:
    • for x64 operating system 
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KasperskyLab\Components\34\1093\1.0.0.0\ServerFlags]
    • "KLSRV_UPGRD_AFTER_RESTORE"=dword:00000001
    • "KLSRV_UPGRD_FIRST_START"=dword:00000004
    • for x86 operating system 
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\Components\34\1093\1.0.0.0\ServerFlags]
    • "KLSRV_UPGRD_AFTER_RESTORE"=dword:00000001
    • "KLSRV_UPGRD_FIRST_START"=dword:00000004
  • start & enable kladminserver service
  • clean the software-updates folder as per https://support.kaspersky.com/de/15304
  • restart the server

That freed about 30gb of space on our server...

• 1 month later...

Hi, Markus. Thanks for your insights, I have just done what you wrote, I have noticed something like 12GB freed as soon as I have deleted the folders, that free space has become around 6GB after I restarted the machine.

I have now deleted all the updates from the list, now I wait to see some movements.

We’ve had exactly the same issue. Yesterday I upgraded KSC 12 to KSC 13 in the hope that might fix it, but no luck. Kaspersky support have previously suggested that I uninstall KSC, reinstall it and restore from the last backup, but I’ve not yet had a chance to do that and I’m unsure whether that will make any difference.

I tried the steps posted by Markus above and as soon as the service was restarted, KSC started redownloading all the updates (13GB of them)! Attempting to clean the software updates folder as per https://support.kaspersky.com/15304 then still has no effect.

We have a separate WSUS server and have no need for this function in an antivirus software. Ironically, the lack of space on the C drive as a result of this is now preventing us from installing the Windows updates to the server from WSUS!