Kaspersky Safe Kids - bypassed

SafeKidsUser
Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

I've been using KSK for over a year now and I'm fundamentally satisfied - had previously used a comparable product from another supplier, but this was easily circumvented by children.

KSK was not like that at first, but now my son has found a way to bypass Google Play Store and install games, for example - all he has to do is call the locked app very often. Until the lock screen appears, there is then a fraction of a second where the app can be started. This procedure takes some time, but the children found out relatively quickly and took advantage of this gap.

I ask for an answer - Thank you!

Translated with [removed]

Hello @SafeKidsUser,

Welcome!

Please let me know:

1 Childs (son’s) device operating system & version?

2 KSK version  installed on child’s (son’s) device? 

3 Your son’s age? 

4 Screen images of: 
[a] Settings for application categories ?

Settings for age restrictions ?

[c] Specific settings for all applications regardless of their category ?

[d] Device use, Time limit settings ?

[e] KSK, Notifications, Settings ?

5 May I have an video please, of your son overriding KSK, & subsequently accessing & installing games from GooglePlayStore? 

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @SafeKidsUser,

Welcome!

Please let me know:

3 Your son’s age? 

4 Screen images of: 

5 May I have an video please, of your son overriding KSK, & subsequently accessing & installing games from GooglePlayStore? 

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

I’m trying to get this done during this weekend!
Thanks for your reply so far!

Hello @SafeKidsUser,

Welcome!

Please let me know:

3 Your son’s age? 

4 Screen images of: 

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

I’m trying to get this done during this weekend!
Thanks for your reply so far!

Here we go:
1) HUAWEI CAN-L11, Android 7.0
2) Version 1.33.0.1633 installed
3) 12 years old
4)
a)

b)

c) sending you just the ones with restrictions

d)

e)
What do you want exactly??

5)
I can only upload 5 MB - and I don’t want to post a dropbox link in here...

My additional notes:

After installing the game as seen in the video, it got blocked for 10 minutes though.
AND I didn’t got any information about a new app on my sons device.

General issue:
Scenario - kids device has blocked Play Store, but KSK brings out a new version which should be installed asap.
It does not update, because Play Store has to be opened!

Hello @SafeKidsUser
Thanks for updating your post & the video👌

1 Regarding KSK new versions, KSK cannot update without the Parent signing into the MyKaspersky account, that safety precaution exists irrespective of whether or not Goggle Play Store is restricted or not.

• Each time there’s a new KSK version, temporarily grant permission to Google Play Store, sign into your MyKaspersky account, apply the update, then re-apply the original Google Play Store restriction.

2 Regarding games classifications the Developer(s), Google Play Store, Apple, Microsoft, etc., use various Government Authorities and Council policy makers, different countries and regions take the advice/guidelines from different bodies, ESRB, PEGI, USK, ACB, etc.

Reference: Apps and Games content ratings on Google Play, Rating standards by country or region

3 Specifically, Johnny Trigger is classified as:  ❎ Content Rating, Mature, Violence

North America (for example) MATURE = Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language. (for example).

• ⁉ However, KSK has allocated it to Category 0+ Unknown 
  • Unknown  =  Category for software that is unknown to KSK.” 

I’m submitted this specific game for review. (imo) it’s not categorised appropriately by KSK

4e from my earlier reply: KSK Notifications, Settings, a screen image please: 

• I’ll work through all of the  other information you’ve provided and post later today.

Thanks again🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @SafeKidsUser
Thanks for updating your post & the video👌

1 Regarding KSK new versions, KSK cannot update without the Parent signing into the MyKaspersky account, that safety precaution exists irrespective of whether or not Goggle Play Store is restricted or not.

• Each time there’s a new KSK version, temporarily grant permission to Google Play Store, sign into your MyKaspersky account, apply the update, then re-apply the original Google Play Store restriction.

2 Regarding games classifications the Developer(s), Google Play Store, Apple, Microsoft, etc., use various Government Authorities and Council policy makers, different countries and regions take the advice/guidelines from different bodies, ESRB, PEGI, USK, ACB, etc.

Reference: Apps and Games content ratings on Google Play, Rating standards by country or region

3 Specifically, Johnny Trigger is classified as:  ❎ Content Rating, Mature, Violence

North America (for example) MATURE = Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language. (for example).

• ⁉ However, KSK has allocated it to Category 0+ Unknown 
  • Unknown  =  Category for software that is unknown to KSK.” 

I’m submitted this specific game for review. (imo) it’s not categorised appropriately by KSK

4e from my earlier reply: KSK Notifications, Settings, a screen image please: 

• I’ll work through all of the  other information you’ve provided and post later today.

Thanks again🙏

Flood🐳

@ #1, #2, #3:
Thank you, at least there should be a push notification on the parents app, when there is a new version available..

@ this game Johnny Trigger:
My son installed it just because it was a “recommended” game on Play Store Starting screen… It would have worked with any other app (correctly rated though) as well…

@screenshots:
Here are the notification settings:

• The “on”-switched means:

Kid tries to uninstall KSK
    A new app has been detected
    Kid searched for forbidden Topics

• Solution

Hello @SafeKidsUser

Thank you for replying, the additional information, the images & the translations👏

Unfortunately, KSK software version updates are "silent", essentially, Google Play Store manages the software updates, if automatic update is selected, it's relying on notifications for available updates to be "announced" via that means. 
However, when KSK Windows has an update available, a little ⚠ alert icon attaches to the KSK shield, so, (I) have to wonder, why have the feature available in one opsys & not another🤔  

💡 I think a KSK version update push notification is a great idea👍 .

--------
Johnny Trigger, yes, I understand the issue is not specific to Johnny Trigger, I added the rating information as it's a specific issue that needs to be & now is being managed by Kaspersky - so, thanks to you, another KSK issue will be sorted👏

In my testing I installed another game - Assassin, exactly the same issue has repeated, game rating 0, Category Unknown, no Notification to parent KSK application or in the MyKaspersky Notification center & no information logged to (Parent) KSK alert center, in the Android environment…

Unlike another app, InFrame, Category Other, rating 0, email (see image above) gets sent to the Parent, Notification to KSK Alert Center and MyKaspersky Notification Center...

--------
💣 I can replicate overriding KSK if the available ROM & RAM are overloaded💣

--------
In a nutshell, (imo) there's more than one issue. 

1. Overriding KSK. 
  2. Any app that's allocated, by KSK, to Category Unknown, seems as if KSK doesn’t know how to manage the app and drops the ball with all feedback to Parent. 

For 2. the issue has been escalated to the Kaspersky Technical Team, so you don’t need to worry too much about gathering data for that… For 1. please log a case with the Kaspersky Technical Team, they will request an AIDA64 report, they may ask for Traces, if so they’ll provide you will a special KSK version that will log all the information they require to fully analyse “overriding KSK”, and include the video please as that clearly demonstrates the problem. 

Please keep us updated with their analysis, solution?

I’ll update your topic with any information regarding the way KSK (mis)manages apps in Category Unknown.

Additional: to confirm the alert settings

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳