Is there a setting for automatic application restarts?

Kaspersky Standard on Win 11. Constant popups "Databases and application modules have been updated...Restart now?" are tedious, is there a setting/way to just have it restart itself? Previous products didn't seem to have this need for touching after updates.

@ejstrehlWelcome

By default, I don't see any notifications on the screen when updating product databases. Maybe it only happens in the free version?

Spoiler

01.thumb.png.729569db1ee25c8be8b19ab404ab176f.png

You can manage product notifications by:

Spoiler
  • Open the Kaspersky interface
  • Click on settings (gear)
  • Click → Interface Settings
  • Click → Notifications Settings
  • Uncheck/tick the check in the "Notify on screen" column

Additionally, you can disable most Kaspersky notifications by:

Spoiler
Open the Kaspersky graphical interface
On the left-hand side of the main window, click → Performance
In the "Quick startup" section, click on the gear symbol (configuration)
Uncheck the following boxes:
→ Fast startup
→ PC acceleration
→ Duplicate files
→ Large files
→ Unused applications
Return to the main window
In the bottom left-hand corner, select the gear symbol (configuration)
Scroll down and click on → Interface settings
In the window that opens, scroll down and look for the "Promotional materials" section
Uncheck the following boxes:
→ Receive informational messages and announcements from Kaspersky
→ Receive personal offers from Kaspersky
→ Display information about special offers on websites
→ Receive informational messages and announcements after the current subscription expires

NOTE: Threat detection notifications have remained active.
Edited by Guilhermesene4096
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ejstrehl said:
  • This is the notification I get; "Databases and application modules have been updated...Restart now?" Yes / No.
  • since I am just going to click Yes every time, would be nice if there was a way to just make it restart automatically.

Hello @ejstrehl

Thank you for posting back & the image!

• (ioo) it looks like a Kaspersky Standard Total Force Update (TFU) *application* OR patch alert. TFUs & patches are distributed *silently*, then wait 7 days/168hrs OR until the computer is rebooted - to be applied.
  • IF the computer was  *restarted automatically* & Kaspersky subscribers were in the middle of critical work -> transferring funds, crypto-trading, gaming - whatever -> there may be some very angry Kaspersky subscribers! Think about the times if you've ever had a BSOD - when the computer shuts down unexpectedly - it's always met with WTH!!
  1. How often are the "Databases and application modules have been updated...Restart now?" alerts happening? 
  2. When those alerts show, are there any *colours changes* OR Notifications / Recommendations* in the main window on the Kaspersky Standard GUI?
  3. When those alerts show are there any *colour change* to the Kaspersky Standard icon in Windows hidden icons? 
  4. How often is the computer shutdown, restarted? 

Please post back? 
Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
RC: TFU, Patch ? Hightlighted alert & Kaspersky Standard

Yeah, not asking for an auto reboot; that would be horrible. But the app isn't asking for a computer restart: it says application restart. And when I punch yes, it does indeed restart the application.

According to the Timeline feature of the application, it updated its a/v and other databases 6 times yesterday and I only had it on between 5pm and 11pm. Previous days this week ranged between 8 and 11 updates every day. At one point yesterday, I got the popup twice within 15 minutes.

It is definitely the case that the app icon in systray changes color during the application restart, and sometimes I have to manually re-enable protection after it is done. When that happens I can see entries in the event log where SecurityCenter is reporting "Updated Kaspersky status successfully to SECURITY_PRODUCT_STATE_SNOOZED." without a following "...SECURITY_PRODUCT_STATE_ON.", but I don't see any events reported for Kaspersky itself.

The computer is completely shut down daily, other than Saturday nights when it performs scheduled backups.

Edited by ejstrehl
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ejstrehl said:

Yeah, not asking for an auto reboot; that would be horrible. But the app isn't asking for a computer restart: it says application restart. And when I punch yes, it does indeed restart the application.

According to the Timeline feature of the application, it updated its a/v and other databases 6 times yesterday and I only had it on between 5pm and 11pm. Previous days this week ranged between 8 and 11 updates every day. At one point yesterday, I got the popup twice within 15 minutes.

It is definitely the case that the app icon in systray changes color during the application restart, and sometimes I have to manually re-enable protection after it is done. When that happens I can see entries in the event log where SecurityCenter is reporting "Updated Kaspersky status successfully to SECURITY_PRODUCT_STATE_SNOOZED." without a following "...SECURITY_PRODUCT_STATE_ON.", but I don't see any events reported for Kaspersky itself.

The computer is completely shut down daily, other than Saturday nights when it performs scheduled backups.

Hello @ejstrehl

Thank you for posting back & the information!

• *Normal* TFUs, & *normal* application & Database updates do not function with the alerts (you've) posted. 

Reset Kaspersky Standard to it's original configuration, if that does not resolve the issue, uninstall & clean install, please follow these steps: 

1. Create a System Restore Point: How to create a restore point in Windows
  2. Export Kaspersky Standard config, read & follow: How to export settings - note - do not *Import* the config at any stage during this process, this is a backup *only*. 
  3. *IMPORTANT* - Shutdown the computer using SHUTDOWN not Restart, when the computer if fully OFF - power ON by pressing the power button, login.
  4. Monitor for *Application restart is required* alerts, if they persist, continue with step 5 onwards: 
  5. Uninstall Kaspersky Standard, during the uninstall, make sure the - Saving a subscription in your My Kaspersky account - is checked - do not check / tick any boxes, read & follow: How to uninstall the application
  6. At the end of the uninstall - make sure the computer is fully shutdown/rebooted? Login. 
  7. Download a new Kaspersky Standard installer: https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads#update-product
  8. Install Kaspersky Standard, read & follow: How to install the application
  9. At the end of the successful install & synchronization with your MyKaspersky account - run a Database update - make sure it completes? 
  10. *IMPORTANT* - Shutdown the computer using SHUTDOWN not Restart, when the computer if fully OFF - power ON by pressing the power button, login.
  11. Monitor for *Application restart is required* alerts, if they persist, log a request with Kaspersky Customer Service, https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts - on the support page, select Chat OR Email, then fill-in the template as follows: 

USER_2024-02-25_040917.thumb.png.a68e30616f79d4ee7f19e252d8fba998.png

•  Include any screen images of the error & a *detailed* history. Support may request logs, traces & other data; they will guide you.

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Added template

• 4 weeks later...

Performed a complete uninstall and reinstall. No signs of the symptom over the last couple weeks. Thanks for the pointers; though the site won't allow me to mark that message as the solution, it seems to have resolved my issue.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ejstrehl said:

Performed a complete uninstall and reinstall. No signs of the symptom over the last couple weeks. Thanks for the pointers; though the site won't allow me to mark that message as the solution, it seems to have resolved my issue.

Hello @ejstrehl

Thank you for posting back & the information!

We're delighted to read a complete uninstall and reinstall appears to have resolved the issue. Well done👏!

You may select any reply as Best answer - that best assisted you resolving the issue. Even your own reply, if that's what you'd like to do. Selecting Best answer marks a topic as Solved. 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

grammar