Is the Brave browser completely blocked in KSK?

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

I have installed KSK on my daughter's new MacBook, and I have also installed Brave because it blocks advertising.

However she has been unable to access any websites with Brave, while still able to access them on Safari. I checked the settings I have for her on my own computer, and see that Brave is allowed... 

I read on other posts that Brae is not supported for certain functionality, does that mean the Brave browser is completely blocked in KSK?

image.png.7c284074bf92d3f6c41af06c96879eb8.png

1 hour ago, vigilant dad said:

I have installed KSK on my daughter's new MacBook, and I have also installed Brave because it blocks advertising.

However she has been unable to access any websites with Brave, while still able to access them on Safari. I checked the settings I have for her on my own computer, and see that Brave is allowed... 

I read on other posts that Brave is not supported for certain functionality, does that mean the Brave browser is completely blocked in KSK?

Hello @vigilant dad

Welcome!

1. "Not supported", means the software does not meet: Kaspersky Safe Kids for Mac, Hardware and software requirements - IF there's issues with an app that's not supported & Kaspersky support is required, more often than not it will not be provided. 
  2. In this case Brave is not listed as a Supported browser. 
  3. The only apps on the Deny list are: Yandex.Browser & Opera. 
  4. We do not get any blocking of Brave, please post a full-screen-screen-image of the issue, including the URL, where the website is inaccessible?
  5. May we also know: (a) the age template selected for your daughter,  (b) MacBook OS version, (c) KSK version, (d) Is KSK Premium or Free? 

Please post back? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

3 hours ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @vigilant dad

Welcome!

1. "Not supported", means the software does not meet: Kaspersky Safe Kids for Mac, Hardware and software requirements - IF there's issues with an app that's not supported & Kaspersky support is required, more often than not it will not be provided. 
  2. In this case Brave is not listed as a Supported browser. 
  3. The only apps on the Deny list are: Yandex.Browser & Opera. 
  4. We do not get any blocking of Brave, please post a full-screen-screen-image of the issue, including the URL, where the website is inaccessible?
  5. May we also know: (a) the age template selected for your daughter,  (b) MacBook OS version, (c) KSK version, (d) Is KSK Premium or Free? 

Please post back? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

(4) google.com, see screenshot

(5a) 9 years old, (5b) MacOs Sonoma 14.5, (5c) KSK 1.9.0.77, (5d) Premium

Cheers

Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 21.31.07.png

• Thanks 1

• Solution
27 minutes ago, vigilant dad said:
  • (a) 9 years old, (b) MacOs Sonoma 14.5, (c) KSK 1.9.0.77, (d) Premium
  1. google.com, ERR_TIMED_OUT, in Brave browser. 

Hello @vigilant dad

You're most welcome!

Thank you for the information!

• The google.com ERR_TIMED_OUT is not due to 'blocking' by KSK.
  1. In the Brave browser, is (your) daughter using google.com as a search engine - is that the objective? 
  2. Is Brave Firewall + VPN enrolled? 
  3. Is there any other Kaspersky software on the Mac? 
  • The issue with using Brave, apart from the fact that it's not supported, is that any results from KSK are not guaranteed, as they are with Safari, Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - all of those browsers can have reliable Ad blocking extensions added to the browsers - for example: AdBlock for Safari Mac App - without running into any other issues. 
  • We're happy to help (you) fix the ERR_TIMED_OUT issue however, ultimately, our recommendation would be to steer clear of Brave. 

Please post back? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Hi @,

1 - yes, google.com as search engine is the objective, but other websites don't work either

2 - Firewall and VPN not enrolled

3 - No other Kapersky software

I think we just won't use Brave for my daughter then, because I do want to use the full functionality of KSK.

I am quite curious though, other than that it is not supported in KSK, are there any other security concerns for using Brave as a browser (vs standard ones like Safari, Chrome, Edge)?

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, vigilant dad said:
  1. I think we just won't use Brave for my daughter then, because I do want to use the full functionality of KSK.
  2. I am quite curious though, other than that it is not supported in KSK, are there any other security concerns for using Brave as a browser (vs standard ones like Safari, Chrome, Edge)?

Hello @vigilant dad

Thank you for posting back & for the information. 

1. (ioo) a good decision, reading thru the Kaspersky Safe Kids for Mac, Types of restrictions for your child, Safe Search, there's an *additional* proviso: 

"Kaspersky Safe Kids supports Safe Search in the following search engines: Google (including "Ok Google"), Bing, Mail.ru, Yandex, Yahoo! and YouTube.

Important: If the child searches for something using the Google search engine in Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, the Safe Search option does not work and the search request is not displayed in the reports on My Kaspersky. You can set Safari as the default search browser for your child or disable the HTTP3 (QUIC) protocol in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox to allow Safe Search to work."

Clearly Safari is the easiest browser to use, without all this mucking around (ioo) & we have not made these changes & have found no Safe Search, Chrome, Firefox issues, however IF (you) wish to disable QUIC for Google Chrome & Firefox, the steps are as follows: 

• Disable the HTTP3 (QUIC) protocol in Google Chrome

In Chrome address bar type: chrome://flags
Scroll OR search for Experimental QUIC protocol
Toggle setting to Disabled.

• Disable the HTTP3 (QUIC) protocol in FIREFOX

In the Firefox address bar, type about:config
Search: network. http. http3. enable.
Toggle setting to False

2. Related to KSK, none that are documented. Our advice is simply that Kaspersky has provided the *recommended* browsers, using browsers that are not supported may end in unreliable information from KSK, that may = the child is not protected & OR, the parent is not notified when they need to be - both of which defeat the purpose of KSK (ioo). 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
pn

1 hour ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @vigilant dad

Thank you for posting back & for the information. 

1. (ioo) a good decision, reading thru the Kaspersky Safe Kids for Mac, Types of restrictions for your child, Safe Search, there's an *additional* proviso: 

"Kaspersky Safe Kids supports Safe Search in the following search engines: Google (including "Ok Google"), Bing, Mail.ru, Yandex, Yahoo! and YouTube.

Important: If the child searches for something using the Google search engine in Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, the Safe Search option does not work and the search request is not displayed in the reports on My Kaspersky. You can set Safari as the default search browser for your child or disable the HTTP3 (QUIC) protocol in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox to allow Safe Search to work."

Clearly Safari is the easiest browser to use, without all this mucking around (ioo) & we have not made these changes & have found no Safe Search, Chrome, Firefox issues, however IF (you) wish to disable QUIC for Google Chrome & Firefox, the steps are as follows: 

• Disable the HTTP3 (QUIC) protocol in Google Chrome

In Chrome address bar type: chrome://flags
Scroll OR search for Experimental QUIC protocol
Toggle setting to Disabled.

• Disable the HTTP3 (QUIC) protocol in FIREFOX

In the Firefox address bar, type about:config
Search: network. http. http3. enable.
Toggle setting to False

2. Related to KSK, none that are documented. Our advice is simply that Kaspersky has provided the *recommended* browsers, using browsers that are not supported may end in unreliable information from KSK, that may = the child is not protected & OR, the parent is not notified when they need to be - both of which defeat the purpose of KSK (ioo). 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Many thanks, got it!

Have a nice day!

• Thanks 1