Huge quarantine file needs removing

annewilson
Go to solution Solved by annewilson,

I have a 126 GB klq file in C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.3\QB.  From the main A=KAV interface there is no listed quarantine backup file.  File Manager sees the file, but resists all my efforts to delete it.  I am an administrator on the laptop, but am told I do not have the relevant permissions.  How can I get rid of this file?  It takes up half of my drive space.

Hello @annewilson

Welcome!

1. On the Windows taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select Pause protection, select Exit, delete the file or, run the system in SafeMode & delete the file. 
  2. After deleting the file, shutdown the machine, using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login, make sure KAV is started & protection is re-enabled

Any problems or questions, please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Additional resource:

Read before you create a new topic!

Despite all Google’s attempt to help, I’m still not managing to enter Safe Mode.  After the Troubleshooting selection it lists a number of tasks, saying that to do those I must press Restart.  When I do I seem to get a normal restart.  The only difference I can see is that I’ve slightly more free space on C: than I had, which may mean drivers not loading?  I’m struggling.

Whatever - I still get the same permissions message.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 7.

Hello @annewilson

To enter Windows Safe Mode follow the images & these instructions:

• Image 1 → in Windows Search🔎 type     msconfig   → select the System configuration app, select Run as administrator. 
  • Image 2 → in the System configuration application, select the Boot tab, tick Safe boot, select Apply, select OK.
  • Image 3, in the System configuration restart prompt, select Restart.
  • The machine will start in Safe mode.
  • Delete the file. 
  • Check the storage to make sure the 126 GB file has been deleted. 

To revert Safe mode to normal mode:

• Image 1 → in Windows Search🔎 type     msconfig   → select the System configuration app, select Run as administrator. 
  • Image → in the System configuration application, select the General tab, tick Select startup, Load system services, Load startup items,  select Apply, select OK.
  • Image 3 → in the System configuration restart prompt, select Restart → machine will boot back to Windows normal mode. 

Any problems or questions, please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

@Flood and Flood's wife 

Unfortunately, that gave me the same perms error.  I suddenly realized I have a (rather old) Knoppix disk.  The problem is that my DVD player is USB.   I managed to get to the boot menu eventually, but Windows boot is the only option, and it doesn’t seem possible from there to disable UEFI. <screams in frustration>

@Berny 

C:\WINDOWS\system32>rd /s /q C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.3\QB
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.

Any more ideas?  I really don’t want to have to re-install Windows.

@annewilson

C:\WINDOWS\system32>rd /s /q C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.3\QB
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.

Please unhide hidden folders, can’t you as ADMIN locate path below ?

You could also try this as ADMIN or under Safe Mode :
rd /s /q "C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.3\QB" (with quotes)

• Solution

@Flood and Flood's wife 

I ended up with a remote session, with a Kaspersky expert.  It turned out that the self-defence mechanism was seeing the file as a necessary one, not to be tampered with.  Turning off Self Defence, deleting the file, then turning Self Defence back on has solved the problem.

Grateful thanks to all who have tried to help me.  I hope this solution will help someone else.

Anne