How to show child a prompt of time left (Windows 10)

Nutter412

Hi, 

How can my child be prompted that they have 5 minutes remaining before Kaspersky blocks them?  I don’t want to use the ‘Warning’ option as they’ll just keep using the PC, so I need them to stop.  But they need time to save their games etc.

Thanks for that, but how does this get configured?  If, for example, my child is playing Minecraft on full screen, there’s no status bar etc visible.  

Hello @Nutter412,

You’re most welcome☺ !

Uggh, are you really going to make us play minecraft to test this😂

1. Would you be kind enough to post a full screen image, make sure to include the entire desktop please? 
  2. Is your child accessing minecraft via browser or app? 

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hi Flood

You don’t need to play Minecraft if you don’t want, but I fear you’ll not get the full test environment otherwise!  Bit of COD maybe?

Anyway, it’s being played fullscreen via the app, not a browser.  I’ve attached a doc, pic 1 is just a pic of Minecraft fullscreen (yay!) and pic 2 is a windowed session of the same, status bar on the right with Kaspersky on the status bar.

I hoped that with apps running fullscreen, there’d be an active Kaspersky prompt, ie ‘5 minutes left’, but that’s not the case.

This is also not the case when an app is windowed - the child then needs to remember to check the Kaspersky app on the status bar (which let’s face it, when you’re forging helmets, cooking chickens and fighting creepers is unlikely to happen :) )

Hello @Nutter412,

Thank you for posting back & the images👌

We think we’ve found a “free”/trial minecraft in the store, downloading now, will test later today, it’s 04:03, need ?

In the meantime, is there another free app or 2 or 3, that you/your child has identified the same issue, give us as many options as possible please, to see if we can replicate & or suggest a solution?

&, please tell us your child’s age? 

Agree with your helmeted/cooked? conclusion, let’s see how it turns out!

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hi Flood, 

Thanks for the help so far,  I’ve used MS word this time as an app alongside Kaspersky Kids, although any app seems to have the same effect.  Again, I can manually go looking for time remaining, although It’s not prompting me or counting down (if that’s a thing that it’s designed to do?)  Image file attached.  Child is 9 years old.

Hello @Nutter412

Thank you for the update & the images👌

• Ok, there's 2 alerts, the first, is a small popup, "announcing" remaining screen time → image 1, it appears very fast, unfortunately, we've not be able to capture that on video
  • The 2nd alert comes at 5 minutes before the device is blocked, we've created a video, it shows the 5min left alert, we then reset the time, let it run until the alert pops.
  • Sitting watching an almost white screen for 5 minutes is a tad tedious, so, we did a video editing crash course; finally we were able to reduce the video in size & time; watch the system time, otherwise, it may not make sense

➡ video, https://youtu.be/r5t3vNdbsuw

• Also, in all of the tests & collecting the info, we managed to break our KSK installation, end result, no alerts at all🙄
  • We uninstalled & did a clean install, alerts resumed.
  • Having worked thru this, ioo, KSK could be improved if there was an alert at 10 minutes & another at 5 minutes. Any more & there's sure to be loud complaints from either parents or children or both. 
  1. Our recommendation, check Windows updates have all been successfully applied, check Windows notifications; uninstall KSK, shutdown computer using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login, download & clean install KSK, recheck, if KSK is still not popping the 5minute alert, raise a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, fill in the template as in our image 2 above, provide a detailed history, images & or video: if they help explain the problem & the URL/link to this Community topic: Support may request Logs & or other system data, they will guide you if necessary.
  • After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will be in touch, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in the MyKaspersky account.

🌀 Please share the outcome with the Community when it’s available? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

• 2 months later...

Hello @Nutter412

Update, Patch G for Kaspersky Safe Kids for Windows version 1.0.5 was released on February 1, 2021.

According to the documentation: 

Now the child gets a notification 5 and 2 minutes before an app is blocked. This will give time to save the progress in the app.”

Note, this only applies to time Restricted apps: 

Of course, the same change has not been applied to device use time, apart from the notification a child receive at first logon, the child only receives one alert, 5 minutes before the device shuts down🤐

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋