How to scan and clean PST file?

Go to solution Solved by Oleg Bykov,

Hi. We have been exporting a large volume of Email data to PST files from a non-Microsoft Email system (GroupWise). Some Emails in the PST's may contain viruses/malware. These emails are detected by Kaspersky as and when you come across the Emails if you were to try and open a message. But how can I scan the PST's, without opening the PST's and attaching them to an Outlook client? Thanks, Alan

Patrick I'm not sure what you mean? Context search? Do you mean doing a search will trigger an AV scan? To confirm, these PST's are not attached to Outlook, they are for archive purposes. But I know some of them have dormant malware (normally trivial old school things, before the days that these were always detected). I was after a way of finding the emails with these and getting rid of them, to reduce the risk of future detection that may corrupt the PST files.

But how can I scan the PST's, without opening the PST's and attaching them to an Outlook client? Isn't the goal to get knowledge in the first step or to scan it? Because he doesn't know if this is the truth.
If the goal is to know if some PST contains infected messages or not, then yes, kavshell scanning can be used for that.

• 4 months later...

Hi Oleg & Patrick,

I’m too facing similar situation. 

User’s .pst archive was tagged as containing  a malware (Trojan.Acad.Agent.a) . However this archive includes many emails that are of high value for the user. 

I’m looking for the way to identify particular email in the pst so it can be removed apart. 

I’ve noticed one thread about BitDefender being able to identify particular email after pst is mounted via email client.

Is this what KES10 can do as well t?

Thanks

Best Regards

Jan