How to remove search marquis from macOS?

tramoje

Two days ago my Mac Book and particular my Safari Browser was always routing to that searchmarquis or searchbaron websites. Despite of buying the Kaspersky Virus Scanner, these two failures are still there. How i can get rid of those Virus ?

On the other hand the Virusscanner was my hope to solve and delete those two virus.

Hello @tramoje,

Welcome!

• By Kaspersky Virus Scanner, do you mean Kaspersky Internet Security? 

For the Safari redirect issue, please do the following:

1. Select Safari, in the menu bar in the top left hand corner of the screen
  2. Select Reset Safari. 
  3. Place a checkmark beside all available options.
  4. Press the Reset button.
  5. Select the Hard Drive icon located on the desktop.
  6. Browse to Users →  (Users Home) → Library → Safari folder. 
  7. Drag every file except Bookmarks.plist to the Trash.
  8. Browse to User →  (Users Home) → Library → Preferences
  9. Locate “com.apple.Safari.plist”, “com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist” and “com.apple.internetconfig.plist” → drag them to the trash. NOTE: If “com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist” does not exist, ignore it and just trash the other two files
  10. Restart Safari.
  11. Recheck issue? 

Please let us know the outcome?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @tramoje, '

• Thank you, correct, the installed software is KIS👌  
  • 🅰 Were you able to reset Safari? If “no” please do the following:
  1. Select Preferences →  PrivacyRemove all website data
  2. With Preferences pane open, select the Advanced tab, select Show Develop menu in menu bar.  
  3. Once you see it, select DevelopEmpty Caches.  
  4. Go back to Preferences, select Security,  make sure "Allow Plug-ins" is unchecked. 
  5. Select the Hard Drive icon located on the desktop.
  6. Browse to Users →  (Users Home) → Library Safari folder
  7. Drag every file except Bookmarks.plist to the Trash.
  8. Browse to User →  (Users Home) → LibraryPreferences
  9. Locate “com.apple.Safari.plist”, “com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist” and “com.apple.internetconfig.plist” → drag them to the trash. NOTE: If “com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist” does not exist, ignore it and just trash the other two files.
  10. Empty Trash.
  11. Restart Safari.
  12. Recheck issue? 

Please let us know the outcome?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

many thank you for your answer and support. But im stucking at step No.9. I can´t find these “com.apple.Safara.plist” or any of these other ones. Coult it be that there are other “Trass-files”?

Hello @tramoje,

You’re most welcome☺ !

1. What is the Macbook OS version please? 
  2. What is the Safari version please? 

From the images, it may not be the correct path, it’s a little difficult to tell; may we trouble you please to provide full screen images, starting at:

• Users →  (Users Home) → Library Safari folder
  • User →  (Users Home) → Library → Preferences

&, can you find: /Users/$USER/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist don’t delete it please, just show us a full screen image please? 

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

here is a complete screenshot. But if i try to go over the user (jens_MacBook or Jens Tramontano-Holder ”or any other Folder where a “library” Folder is available there isn´t a “com.apple.safari.plist” there. The only place where i can find the mentioned folder is under “System..subsystem” like you can see at the screenshot. But I absolutely do not know how I get rid of that virus. Like I mentioned, my Hope was that the Kaspersky Software will eleminate the Virus (serch Marquis search machine) from my Mac book. The only think what i regognized is that at my google browser the Problem with that sprachmarquis is not there. 

Hello @tramoje,

Thank you for the information👌

1. What is the Macbook OS version please? 
  2. What is the Safari version please? 
  3. In Safari →  Preferences → Privacy → Details, is either searchmarquis or searchbaron listed? If “yes”, please remove? 

• Regarding “hoping KIS will eliminate the search machine”, we understand, however, the problem is in the Safari browser, it’s possible a page (you) went to or maybe an extension has changed the Safari browser, that’s why we’re trying so hard to reset the Safari browser. 
  • We have access to 2 different MACs, both with different versions of Safari, the above procedures are all relevant & work for resetting Safari and returning Safari to it’s original settings; that’s why we need to know your MAC & Safari information?

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @tramoje,

Additional to previous reply:

• 1 Using Finder, are you able to find the following:

/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchDaemons

if “yes”, please open & take a full screen image of both, add the images to your topic please; (you may need to be in Safe Mode to see LaunchAgents & LaunchDaemons).

• 2 Run (free) Malwarebytes for Mac scan - do not delete any detections, export the Report & attach📎 to your reply or post image(s) of any detections please? 
  • Note: with Malwarebytes for Mac, make sure Real-time protection is not on.

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

to No 2

To No 3.

Thats my Problem. I can´t find Safari in my Programms. The Folder is empty.

and like you can see . I can find the Preferences Folder, but there is also no Safari folder in it..so completly strange

Hello @tramoje

Thank you for the update and the images👌

1. If Safe Mode/Single User Mode is used - does the information show🤔 ? → To run Safe Mode, press and hold the Shift key while the MAC boots, stop holding the Shift key when the Apple logo and progress bar appear. To leave Safe Mode, reboot the MAC without holding the Shift key.
  2. Run (free) Malwarebytes for Mac scan do not delete any detections, export the Report & attach📎 to your reply & or post image(s) of any detections please? 
  3. Note: with Malwarebytes for Mac, make sure Real-time protection is not on.

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳