How to block the built-in Google app for searching, etc.

JR69

The built-in Google app on Android does not appear in the list of apps that can be blocked, and my child is using it conduct searches (even though the results are according to KSK policy). I would like to block this app entirely. Is there any way to do this?

Thank you.

Hello @JR69

Welcome back!

No.

It’s a ‘known’ issue. 

• As a temporary solution/workaround: 
  1. From Google Play Store, download & install AppLock application.
  2. Using AppLock, set a password for Google Voice Search.
  3. In KSK, change AppLock to Forbidden
  4. In KSK make sure to change Settings to Forbidden again. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

Yes, I saw this advice in another thread, but (a) there are many apps called AppLock in the Google Play Store so I am not sure if I installed the correct one, and (b) after installing the most-promising looking AppLock app, I could find no setting for “Google & Voice Search”. 

It would be most helpful if you could post a direct link to the correct AppLock app, as well as some screen shots of the app showing how to reach the “Google & Voice Search” settings.

Much appreciated,

JR

Hello @JR69

Thank you👌

It would’ve been helpful to have the Operating system version as we requested, however, we persist😶

We don’t care if the device is old, as long as it meets the System requirements, which we’re sure you checked before installing KSK ?

1. Can you find Settings → Google → Search & Now → Now cards → Now on Tap

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hello @JR69,

You’re welcome☺ !

1. Is the image from the Google app?
  2. Does that Google screen have any version information? 
  3. In the top right hand corner, what can you see when you select the 3 tiny vertical dots
  4. In (phone) Settings, Applications: post images of all installed apps? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hello @JR69,

Thank you☺ !

1. Google Now Launcher, gives results through Google Search. 
  2. Google Now Launcher has been replaced by Google Assistant. 
  3. Google+, discontinued - delete or disable. 
  4. Hangouts, access to videos. 
  5. Nova Launcher, did you install?
  6. Have any apps been hidden using Nova Launcher? 
  7. Power Toggles ? 
  8. In Google Play Store, find  the Google app, go to Details, scroll down to App info, post a screen print please?  
  9. Google Now Launcher, block using AppLock, recheck?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Google Now Launcher, Google Search and Google Assistant -- none of these appear in the list that can be disabled:

Google+ and Hangouts are already disabled, but these have no effect on Google Search/Assistant.

Nova Launcher is installed, but I don’t mind uninstalling it -- but what does this have to do with blocking Google Search/Assistant?

Power Toggles turns on a flashlight.

Google Now Launcher is already locked in AppLock, but Google Search/Assistant still runs just fine.

>>In Google Play Store, find  the Google app, go to Details, scroll down to App info, post a screen print please? «

Hello @JR69

Thank you☺ !

1. We do know Google Now Launcher, Google Search and Google Assistant are not showing in KSK. 
  2. We don’t know what’s blocked & what isn’t, unless you tell us. 
  3. If Google Now Launcher is already locked in AppLock, but Google Search/Assistant still runs, then Google Now Launcher is not the problem. 
  4. However, is Google Now Launcher disabled? 
  5. The Google app v 11.43.6.23.arm, is it locked by AppLock? 
  6. In Google Play Store, can the Google app v 11.43.6.23.arm be uninstalled? 
  7. Can you open the Google app v 11.43.6.23.arm & clear Data & Cache? 
  8. We mentioned Hangouts because it’s frequently used to access videos/circumvent KSK. 
  9. As we don’t have access to the phone, the other apps we queried were just trying to eliminate all possibilities. 
  10. Bottom line, the known, replicable issue: KSK not recognising apps, is the root cause → please log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, fill in the Application malfunction, Other template, provide as much information as possible, steps taken, Community URL; Support may request: traces, data, logs, they will guide you. 

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will be in touch, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in their MyKaspersky account.

Please share the outcome with the Community when it’s available? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

1. We do know Google Now Launcher, Google Search and Google Assistant are not showing in KSK. 

I guess this is the main issue here. Frustrating.

2. We don’t know what’s blocked & what isn’t, unless you tell us. 
  3. If Google Now Launcher is already locked in AppLock, but Google Search/Assistant still runs, then Google Now Launcher is not the problem. 
  4. However, is Google Now Launcher disabled? 

As I mentioned, Google Now Launcher is locked in AppLock and it doesn’t appear in 

1. The Google app v 11.43.6.23.arm, is it locked by AppLock? 

It does not appear in AppLock. If it did, I think my problem would already be solved.

1. In Google Play Store, can the Google app v 11.43.6.23.arm be uninstalled? 

If I click Uninstall in Google Play, it asks me if I want to “uninstall all updates to this Android system app". 

1. We mentioned Hangouts because it’s frequently used to access videos/circumvent KSK. 
  2. As we don’t have access to the phone, the other apps we queried were just trying to eliminate all possibilities. 
  3. Bottom line, the known, replicable issue: KSK not recognising apps, is the root cause → please log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, fill in the Application malfunction, Other template, provide as much information as possible, steps taken, Community URL; Support may request: traces, data, logs, they will guide you. 

OK, I guess this is what I will do now.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

JR

Hello @JR69

You’re most welcome☺ !

Thank you for posting back! 

Agreed, it is frustrating, we do understand. 

We suggest clearing Google app v 11.43.6.23.arm Data & Cache & in Google Play uninstalling all updates for Google app v 11.43.6.23.arm, then shutdown/power off the phone, restart, login, check in Google Play Store the status of  Google app v 11.43.6.23.arm, if it requires an update, accept that, allow the update to complete  then shutdown/power off the phone, restart, login, check in AppLock if the Google app shows?

It does not make sense that Google app v 11.43.6.23.arm is not showing in AppLock; the other option is to fully back up the phone & do a factory reset → this won’t magically make the apps appear in KSK, however, it resets & clears out everything → if Google app v 11.43.6.23.arm is not showing in AppLock after a reset, something else is going on🤔

Please keep us posted? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello @JR69

Thank you for posting back! 

We’ve now tested two more androids: 

🅰 4.4 (older than yours) → the Google app v9.94.7.16.arm is installed.

AppLock shows & blocks the Google app → Voice is integrated with the Google app.  

🅱 7.1.1 → the Google app v11.43.6.23.arm is installed.

AppLock shows & blocks the Google app .

Assistant is installed. 

AppLock shows & blocks Assistant.

• KSK blocks AppLock on both phones. 

Have you thought about checking with Motorola? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello @JR69

Our additional tests weren’t to “explain” why KSK does not show the Google apps, we were following up on your previous reply “ Google app is still not showing up in AppLock. Maybe because it’s part of Android and not a separate app. IDK?”

In our three tests: AppLock manages the Google apps & KSK manages the AppLock app.

It will be good to hear how TS resolve the issue? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

May I add that this is really a showstopper problem for me. My kid is browsing /searching thru this mean, with no limit at all (except for search filtering).

So please please release this feature, as KSK is a bit useless due to this, it's a really big hole. Your message date back 2 month ago, Google app blocking should already be available. 

Thanks à lot in advance.