How Can I Set Kaspersky to Automatically Adjust Security Based on My Current City Name?

Hello everyone,

I'm using Kaspersky Total Security, and I’ve been really happy with its protection so far. However, I travel quite often and noticed that some of the settings I have in place work well when I’m at home but might not be ideal when I’m in different locations. I was wondering if there’s a way to configure Kaspersky to adapt its security features based on my current location, specifically using "My current city name" through the device’s GPS?

For example, when I’m at home, I prefer to have more relaxed settings, like allowing certain websites or networks I trust. But when I’m traveling to new places, I want stricter security, such as blocking unknown Wi-Fi networks automatically and maybe even turning on a VPN by default.

I’ve seen that some apps use the device’s GPS to determine where you are and adjust settings accordingly. Does Kaspersky have any functionality like this where it could use "My current city name" based on the GPS location of my device? Ideally, it would automatically recognize when I’m in a new city and adjust firewall rules, VPN, or Safe Money settings without me having to manually change them every time.

I’ve looked through the settings but didn’t see anything specifically related to GPS or location-based adjustments. If there’s no such feature, do you have any tips on how I might set up Kaspersky profiles that I can manually switch between depending on where I am? I’m also open to any advice on best practices for staying secure when traveling, especially when connecting to public Wi-Fi or accessing banking sites from unfamiliar locations.

Has anyone else faced similar situations while traveling? What’s your setup like when you’re on the move, and do you think having a feature like "My current city name" linked to your GPS would be useful in making Kaspersky even more responsive to changing environments?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

14 hours ago, DineshaNetuno said:

I'm using Kaspersky Total Security, and I’ve been really happy with its protection so far. However, I travel quite often and noticed that some of the settings I have in place work well when I’m at home but might not be ideal when I’m in different locations. I was wondering if there’s a way to configure Kaspersky to adapt its security features based on my current location, specifically using "My current city name" through the device’s GPS?

For example, when I’m at home, I prefer to have more relaxed settings, like allowing certain websites or networks I trust. But when I’m traveling to new places, I want stricter security, such as blocking unknown Wi-Fi networks automatically and maybe even turning on a VPN by default.

I’ve seen that some apps use the device’s GPS to determine where you are and adjust settings accordingly. Does Kaspersky have any functionality like this where it could use "My current city name" based on the GPS location of my device? Ideally, it would automatically recognize when I’m in a new city and adjust firewall rules, VPN, or Safe Money settings without me having to manually change them every time.

I’ve looked through the settings but didn’t see anything specifically related to GPS or location-based adjustments. If there’s no such feature, do you have any tips on how I might set up Kaspersky profiles that I can manually switch between depending on where I am? I’m also open to any advice on best practices for staying secure when traveling, especially when connecting to public Wi-Fi or accessing banking sites from unfamiliar locations.

Has anyone else faced similar situations while traveling? What’s your setup like when you’re on the move, and do you think having a feature like "My current city name" linked to your GPS would be useful in making Kaspersky even more responsive to changing environments?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Hello @DineshaNetuno

Welcome!

To start, KTS is Kaspersky's *old* software, it's been replaced by Kaspersky Plus, there's a free upgrade available, the free upgrade is *like-for-like*, i.e. what (you) have in the KTS subscription is what will be available in the Kaspersky Plus subscription, please read: Kaspersky: Basic, Standard, Plus, Premium - info & FAQ, by Danila T.

Kaspersky Plus can be downloaded here: https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads#update-product

Make sure (you) have the existing KTS activation code before proceeding with any change. 

Upgraded / free Kaspersky Plus subscriptions don't come with Kaspersky Unlimited VPN, an upgraded / free Kaspersky Plus subscription comes with Kaspersky Standard/Free VPN, STD/Free VPN has limitations - for example: the remote virtual location is selected automatically, the daily data usage is capped. 

Both versions of Kaspersky VPN (Unlimited & or STD/Free) can be set to autorun at computer startup & enable VPN automatically at VPN startup. 

Neither KTS & or PLUS -> Firewall & SafeMoney have features that can be tweaked - so that they automatically adjust based on location, i.e. home / travelling;

Using a VPN - hides your location & OR sets a location IF you need to access a site remotely & you're not in that physical location. In Kaspersky's Unlimited VPN, Double VPN is available - allowing subscribers to set dual locations, that feature is not available in STD/FREE VPN.

Please read: What is the purpose of Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection & Using the Free version of the application.

Kaspersky also has Kaspersky Safe Kids (KSK), with an inbuilt GPS locator, however KSK will not help this scenario. Kaspersky's subscriptions for Android also have GPS, Where is my device, but again, this app will not assist your requirements. 

In Windows, enable Use Random hardware addresses.

Never use public WIFI without a VPN. 

• Regarding: "I’ve seen that some apps use the device’s GPS to determine where you are and adjust settings accordingly.", please provide name of app/software (links not required) - it helps the Community see exact information rather than trawling thru many possibilities. 

Please post back? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
pn