First install, it is scanning your PC in the background and could find and delete false positives and NOT put them in the AV vault. This can be a disaster!

Jimbo

I am an experienced user and don’t need much of the bloatware, Windows registry pollution  and scheduled options that most AV apps come with. Manual operation without scheduling is my choice for AV as I rarely install new apps and use manual AV & malware scans before creating incremental backup images to recover from.  Only when you uninstall most AV packages  do you discover and clean up the mess left behind.  Kaspersky  Free is a good introduction lightweight AV over which you can have manual control.

However be warned: On my first install before you setup options for detection e.g to warn NOT to delete, it is scanning your PC in the background and could find and delete false positives and NOT put them in the AV vault, which happened to me.  I’m not sure how to stop this, although it would have been nice to have added a command switch to the executeable to stop Kaspersky Free auto scanning until its options were set?

I’d appreciate some ideas as to how I can setup Kaspersky Free options on first install to stop the automatic background scan until I agree them. It could at least have the default detections set to ‘Inform’ and not delete and have the run option turned off or on a 5 minute timer?

For now I can temporarily remove hard drive letters from a couple of my hard drives to make them invisible, before running Kaspersky Free first time. I don’t think its scanning is clever enough to search an invisible drive?

I’m not sure I want to upgrade or replace the app again and remember to stop full scan autoscanning all PC drives without my permission? Does anybody have ideas as to how I can stop this? I don’t think I can export a settings profile and have it picked up when Kaspersky Free first runs either.