Failed to install the software module update

Go to solution Solved by kasperskyfan,

I get this message in event logs on new Windows 10 2004 system after sucesffuly installed both KES 11.3.0.773 and Network agent 12.0.0.7734:

Installation of updates 'Patch..exe' for software modules of '1103' has returned an error: Bad junction.

Windows TEMP folder is full of folders and files of (nagent_autopatches_...) failed installation content, and eventualy run out of disk space.

I have the same problem (only) on one Windows server 2016.

Please help.

Today I upgraded my laptop to W10 2004,  it has kes11.3.0.773 but no network agent installed.  After the upgrade I got a exclamation mark on KES icon on system tray stating that a restart was requiried to complete a kes update and after restarting my laptop everything was fine. 

On the other hand, my managed computers have kes11.3.0.773 and network agent 12.0.0.7734 they are under KSC12 policies.  After upgrading two computers to W10 2004, KES icon was grayed out with little exclamation symbol on it, so I opened kes and showed only 4 of 15 protection components enabled, so I tried to started them but failed, then I tried to uninstall kes but I got “Error 1921: cannot stop kneps service...” so I cancelled uninstallation and this time I did a “repair” instead uninstall and everything was working fine now.  I did this on the two computers and on both got the same good results.

I hope this helps :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

I found out what is problem. I deploy Windows images from WDS/MDT server, but Windows 10 2004 version makes all junction links in c:\ProgramData to show to D partition, which is not correct. Deleting application data junction link solve my problem, and I can update agent without problem.

Related:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MDT/comments/hopnbb/anyone_else_having_issues_with_win10_2004_deploys/