Exclusion to time limits

Lydia Stroud

Hello,

I set up my childrens’ devices with a 1 hour time limit. Even with the ‘available on blocked device’ clicked, the time on those apps still seems to count against their one hour. Is there a way to make them unlimited and not account against their allotted ‘game’ time? We basically want them to have educational apps unlimited and restrict everything else to one hour.

Hello @Lydia Stroud

Welcome!

Please tell me:

1. Children’s devices: Windows, Android, MAC, iOS = name & version
  2. KSK version
  3. Is “game time” being controlled via  Device Use (Time)?
  4. During “game time”, are the games applications or accessing via the internet?
  5. Download the KSK, 7day, Summary Report & attach to your reply please? 
  6. Is KSK licensed? 
  7. The age of the children please?

➡ To enable me to test, may I please have:

🅰 (several) names of educational apps added to the “allow” list?

🅱 (several) names of games used during the limited time period please?

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

1. They are on Samsung galaxy tab a’s running android version9.
  2. Premium version 1.36.0.1651
  3. Yes, it’s set to block based on hours with exceptions on the apps we want available at all times.
  4. The are all apps.
  5. Unable to do from my phone but I’ll attach below.
  6. yes
  7. 5, 7 and 9

Educational games: adventure academy, amazon kindle, khan academy 

Other games we are limiting: exploration craft, dragon sim, catsim, dogsim

Thank you.

Hello @Lydia Stroud

Thank you for the information👌

1. Regarding, “blocked based on hours with exceptions on the apps we want available at all times”, is a Device Use Time Block configuration applied or a time restriction Block applied to each of the games: exploration craft, dragon sim, catsim, dogsim, or are both Time Block features used? 
  2. When you’re able, please attach the Report? 

➡ In the interim I’ll install some of the game apps, test🕵 & post the results.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @Lydia Stroud

Additional to my last reply, I installed: 

Dog SimCat Sim, Dragon SimExploration CraftKhan Academy. 

Interim observations:

• GooglePlayStore uses a number of measurements, including those defined by Regulatory Authorities, to rate & publish apps. 
  • KSK relies on how GPS rates an app & Regulatory Authorities guidelines. 
  • The GPS Ratings are inconsistent & confusing. 
  • The KSK Age restrictions are inconsistent & confusing. 

Still testing & thinking🤔

I will update with results. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

The Khan Academy portal is incredible, thanks for this 🙇

Hello @Lydia Stroud

Additional to my previous reply:

I set DogSim to 45 minutes & Khan Academy -  unlimited - allowed when device time use expired. 

The test:

Used Khan Academy for 2 hours.

Used DogSim for 45min at which time the device was blocked.

Continued to use Khan Academy for a further 2hrs & 16 minutes.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - regarding the above - how did you set time limits on certain apps?  

I understand that it’s possible to allow some apps past the daily use limit, but if, for instance, my kid wants to listen to music while he’s doing his homework, that “counts against” his daily allotment, and then he doesn’t have time for games.  I’d rather be able to allow certain apps as ‘free’, and other apps, like games, as counting against his time allotment.

Hello @livefree75

Welcome!

For any app you wish for your son to use “unlimited”, add an Allowed exclusion, make sure Available on blocked device is ✔checked (in my example I’ve added an allowed/available on blocked device exclusion for FM Radio)

Alternatively, you may wish to grant a Restricted exclusion  with a time limitation (see my image)

1. Please post images of the settings that have been configured so we can assist? 
  2. Please include (your son’s) device operating system?  (there are configuration limitations depending on device: Windows, Android, iOS, Mac)
  3. Please include your son’s age?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Interesting.  So - I see that I can set time limits per program.  I would like to be able to set up a “category” of apps that I could set a time limit on that category.  

Otherwise I could set an hour on each app, but if he has 10 apps, he could continue to play for 10 hours.

Hello @livefree75

Categories are pre-defined. 

KSK automatically determines which Category apps are assigned to. 

There is no manual feature to create Categories, nor is it possible to move an app from a Category KSK has selected, unless an app has been wrongly categorized, in such cases, the KSK Developers/Kaspersky experts are engaged and a fix is applied, such cases are not common and mostly take a very long time. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hi @livefree75 

To answer your question about 10 apps - 10 hours  - you can add Restricted duration 5h for device and Restricted duration 2h for each app - in this case he will be restricted for total use of device for 5 hours and he can use apps he likes but not more than you define.  like 2+2+1 or 1+1+1+1+1 etc.

I’m new Safe kids, still learning. For PC I setup duration, lets say 3h per day while for android phone I setup actual hours like allowed to use from 8am till 3pm.