Distribution Point KSC: as Update Source

When a distribution point is used, the administrator has to create a task to copy/download updates to the distribution point on KSC. Why is it not possible (greyed out) to use the administration server to get the updates from (at KSC 11, 11.0.0.1131)?

Sometimes it is better to use the local internet connection (at site/branch office) but sometimes the WAN connection is faster (or there is only one internet connection at main site).

I found a workaround: Configure the KLSHARE Update folder (\\ksc_main_servername\KLSHARE\Updates) as a network folder (task source option → see third option above), but it would be better to use the “Administrationsserver” option.

The clients on a specific site/branch office should get its updates from the distribution point located on that site/branch office (this is the reason to configure a distribution point), but the distribution point itself get its updates normally from the internet (Kaspersky Lab Update server), this is the default setting. When there is only one internet connection (for the whole organization and all sites), the KSC and all distribution points get there updates all from this one internet connection (and download the same updates several times).

It would be nice to be able to download the updates only one time (on main KSC) and copy them one time (on each WAN connection) to each distribution point, which then offers them to their clients. This would minimize the needed bandwidth on each wan/internet connection (-> best setup).

It is also interesting that when the administrator uses (KSC) slave servers, each slave server can be configured to get its updates from the master server (the mentioned option is not greyed out, however this is another task type but it also offers these settings).

It would be nice to be able to download the updates only one time (on main KSC) and copy them one time (on each WAN connection) to each distribution point, which then offers them to their clients. This would minimize the needed bandwidth on each wan/internet connection (-> best setup).

There are 2 ways to do so.

1. You can create a task(or several tasks) at KSC to place updates to specific network share and then select this share as update source for distribution point
  2. You can make Distribution point to work as a Gateway and in that case all traffic(related to KES only) will be re-routed to KSC, including updates.

I read that a distribution point also needs updates and therefore I have to create a task of type “Download updates to the repositories of distribution points”. I did that but in the source configuration, the option for administration server is greyed out. However, I used the following setting as a workaround (it works, the clients get updates):

Why is the option “Administrationserver” greyed out?

It would be nice if you would consider changing that in the next KSC versions (as a feature update).

Maybe you can consider to also apply the “administration server” option for Distribution Points in one of the upcoming KSC versions?

This feature would improve KSC administration so that it is more intuitive (an administrator does not need to play around with shares and files/place updates into a folder first and collect it from this location etc.).