Are Password-protected Wi-fi safe?

Rimanah

Hello @Rimanah,

a network is only as secure as the logged-in users allow it. If it's a public network, you don't know them.

Your computer could be attacked by another user, so the firewall must be very well set up. Also, your computer must not provide file shares.

The provider (or other untrustworthy users) can also log parts of your internet traffic, so it is best to surf via VPN only.

That’s not what I asked for. I want to know whether USING A PASSWORD PROTECTED WIFI is safe.  Like if the WIFI uses some sort of Encryption or just password overall. I heard the only case in which you are really unsafe is if the WIFI doesn;t use PASSWORD at all. If it does you should be OK(unless the attacker REALLY tries to hack you specifically). So is it true? Am I safe if I just use WIFI with a password? Also can auto-login be dangerous to use?

Hello @Rimanah,

Additional to @Schulte & @richbuff...

As you’re seeking a definitive answer to a very generic question, please log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support. After logging the case you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will contact you, also by email; you may continue to communicate with the Support team by reply email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.

When it’s available, please let us know what the Kaspersky Technical Team advise?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Resources:

• Public Wifi Security
  • Public networks. There are many people connecting to public Wi-Fi networks, and such networks may become the target of hackers. Often, public networks have a password which is easy to remember and easy to guess. 
  • Google: Fake public networks/hotspots, how to tell? 

Hi, Rimanah

So I always connect to the PROTECTED WiFi this is basic rule.

When Wifi is open (not protected) then can connect to this wifi much more people and (bad) people which can try something really bad :) for example catch packets, passwords etc. 

It is much better to connect or create safe (protected) WiFi.

For me Secured (password Wifi) is safe,
Not secured (without password) is not safe.

And bonus at the end - create a verry hard and long password contains small and large letters also nummers and put some special characters like this Đ or §.