I have KIS 2018 running under Windows 10. On each of the past 2 days I have had a BSOD with the error message KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. Investigation using WhoCrashed suggests that a Kaspersky program file was responsible. Obviously, the easiest way of checking this is to switch off KIS temporarily. At the same time I will still need some protection which, in my case, means Windows Defender. My questions are therefore:

1) How do I temporarily switch off KIS. By this I mean switch it off so that it doesn't automatically restart when I reboot my PC.

2) How do I then switch on Windows Defender?

3) How do I switch KIS on again and Windows Defender off when I need to.

Edited by Avogadro

To Pause right click on K and press Pause. To shutdown the program right on K click Exit. About your BSOD issue please provide a GSI report.

"To Pause right click on K and press Pause. To shutdown the program right on K click Exit. About your BSOD issue please provide a GSI report."

To Pause right click on K and press Pause. To shutdown the program right on K click Exit. About your BSOD issue please provide a GSI report.

Tack on below is in addition to the instructions posted above. 

Whizard, if you click "exit" I take it this stops K on a reboot or when next starting the computer? If so how do you re-enable K? Thanks

mikethebike

Edited by richbuff
Refer to the instructions posted above, when tacking on, please.

To Pause right click on K and press Pause. To shutdown the program right on K click Exit. About your BSOD issue please provide a GSI report.To Pause right click on K and press Pause. To shutdown the program right on K click Exit. About your BSOD issue please provide a GSI report.

Please see the above quote, and please reply to the content on the quote. 

Thought I'm going crazy.  I'm getting the same exact thing, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Classpnp.sys... and after the BSOD  restart Kasperksy is asking me to send in the log data.  This is an issue I read here that others are having with kaspkersy: https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/99421-bsod-kmode_exception_not_handled-classpnp-sys.html

Edited by richbuff

Me too, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Classpnp.sys. Very irritating to say the least. As I understand it, Kaspersky will not be fixing this problem until KIS 2019! I have been a loyal customer for years and now this? So, as I understand it, we must 'roll back' to KIS 2017 or switch to Bit Defender? How do I perform a roll back?

TIA,

Bobsen

12 hours ago, Juguard said:

Thought I'm going crazy.  I'm getting the same exact thing, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Classpnp.sys... and after the BSOD  restart Kasperksy is asking me to send in the log data.  This is an issue I read here that others are having with kaspkersy: https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/99421-bsod-kmode_exception_not_handled-classpnp-sys.html

Can you reach out to KL via Support at my.kaspersky.com and let them know? This is a user forum.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I think it's time for me to contact Kaspersky support. Since I first posted I've been looking at the WhoCrashed reports which all point to a Kaspersky driver being the problem. Also, on each occasion, when my PC reboots after the BSOD I get a Kaspersky error message. It all seems reasonable prima facie evidence that Kaspersky is causing the BSODs. I shall see what happens.

8 hours ago, Bobsen said:

Me too, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Classpnp.sys. Very irritating to say the least. As I understand it, Kaspersky will not be fixing this problem until KIS 2019! I have been a loyal customer for years and now this? So, as I understand it, we must 'roll back' to KIS 2017 or switch to Bit Defender? How do I perform a roll back?

TIA,

Bobsen

I know what you mean.  I'm in the same boat.  Even though you quoted me, it looks like I was telling people how to temp fix, and send a GSI report.  Mods on this forum have a bad habit of editing peoples posts, instead of properly replied to them.

7 hours ago, Avogadro said:

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I think it's time for me to contact Kaspersky support. Since I first posted I've been looking at the WhoCrashed reports which all point to a Kaspersky driver being the problem. Also, on each occasion, when my PC reboots after the BSOD I get a Kaspersky error message. It all seems reasonable prima facie evidence that Kaspersky is causing the BSODs. I shall see what happens.

Well, all the searching I have done says that Kaspersky is aware of the problem and will patch it with KIS 2019. That level of response is unacceptable for me, and as a long time customer a deal breaker. I will look elsewhere for protection.

Every product has problems. Different hardware makes it impossible to test every single combination. You can always rollback to a previous version in the meantime. At least the problem had been acknowledged. Its quite possible the fix might even come sooner than v2019, via module updates. I think its a bit premature to jump ship so soon look at the the Apple and Microsoft problems lately. However, the ultimate choice is yours. 

48 minutes ago, Whizard said:

Every product has problems. Different hardware makes it impossible to test every single combination. You can always rollback to a previous version in the meantime. At least the problem had been acknowledged. Its quite possible the fix might even come sooner than v2019, via module updates. I think its a bit premature to jump ship so soon look at the the Apple and Microsoft problems lately. However, the ultimate choice is yours. 

Thanks for your reply. I will give them a 'chance' but it seems counter productive to revert to a previous version to 'fix' a problem that has been acknowledged but not addressed, other than to say that we will have to wait until KIS 2019 is released for the issue to fixed. It seems with all the bad publicity that Kaspersky has been getting they would be a bit more proactive in fixing known problems and keeping loyal customers happy. Rant over.

According to the Kaspersky German forum, the problem will be addressed in Patch E

Translation: According to KL-Moscow the problem will be solved with the upcoming patch "E". If you have experience with betas, you can already test the patch.

Edited by Allsop

1 hour ago, Allsop said:

In addition, in General Settings, you can also disable KIS at computer startup.

Thanks! Any idea when Patch E will be released?

Edited by Bobsen

1 hour ago, Bobsen said:

Thanks! Any idea when Patch E will be released?

No idea when the official release but it's in beta phase right now.

Edited by Allsop

I just found this on another forum:

Kaspersky has answered on bugzilla:

"It is our (Kaspersky) fault. We have an “anti-cryptor” feature, which can save user files if a malicious software encrypts it.
However, there is a bug in this feature driver, which sometimes leads to BSOD. Also, there was an additional bug that FireFox 57 identifies as an unknown software, which should be deeply monitored. Combination of these two bugs led to frequent BSOD if Kaspersky 2018 and FireFox 57 are installed on the computer.

Tomorrow we are going to update our bases, to minimize the problem. I'll let you know, when update happens.
Complete fix will be with KIS2018 patch E before 15-Dec-2017."

Edited by richbuff
Topic is: "How to temporarily stop KIS 2018". This thread has gone to off-topic. Therefore, this is amicably closed. :)