Windows update stop working with KAV Free 2018

Hello, I've tried everything but the only solution so far is to uninstall KAV Free 2018.

If it's enabled Windows Update service doesn't start (error 0x8000408); when I disable or I uninstall KAV and I reboot, it simply works.

Can anyone help me? Win 10 Pro x86 1703

Thanks

IMG_1231.jpg

I've tried without results. In fact, it doesn't appear to be a windows problem; I've tried with:
1) Reset via windows update troubleshooter (normale and aggressive mode)
2) manual reset with services stopped, folders rename and service start
3) sfc /scannow (no integrity violation)
4) dism with mounted iso as source (and sfc after that).

The curious fact is that if I disable KAV or I uninstall it the service start without issues (and download/install updates).

Thank you for your help

Hello, just to update about this issue:

I've tried today by formatting 2 different pc:

1) If they're installed with 64bit no issues at all
2) If I install with 32 bit same problems appear: after the installation of KAV Free 2018 system initiate to lag, windows update stuck if I click on "advanced settings" and service doesn't reply after few minutes (same error posted before).

In windows logs I see a lot of errors about files locked by another process, for example:

Datastore.edb (error 32)
srudb.dat

An error about netcp port sharing error because of netcp activator not started.

Of course, after KAV uninstall everything return to normal. I think is something about the architecture and different protections on Windows x32 and x64.
Windows is 10 Pro 1703

Thanks

Idea.  You said there's no problem if you disable Kaspersky. Change Kaspersky service avp.exe service to start delayed (have to do this in safe mode). This may be affecting windows update starting up.

I am getting exactly the same issues with Kaspersky Internet Security 32 bit (KIS 2018 18.0.0.405 Patch d).

Datastore.edb and/or srudb.dat get locked, and application logs show an ESENT error every 10 seconds.

The Windows Update service stops, and cannot be restarted until the computer is rebooted.

You can occasionally get windows update to run manually, immediately after boot, before the files get locked and the Windows Update service stops.

After uninstalling KIS, all of the problems go away.

Please select Do Not Scan Encrypted connections,  located in Settings > Additional > Network. Reboot for good measure. Any better after that? 

If this issue is not readily resolvable, please contact Tech Support: https://my.kaspersky.com/support/

Please attach the following items to your Tech Support request: 

a. Description of the issue.
b. Screenshot, as needed.
c. GSI

9 minutes ago, richbuff said:

Please select Do Not Scan Encrypted connections,  located in Settings > Additional > Network. Reboot for good measure. Any better after that? 

If this issue is not readily resolvable, please contact Tech Support: https://my.kaspersky.com/support/

Please attach the following items to your Tech Support request: 

a. Description of the issue.
b. Screenshot, as needed.
c. GSI

richbuff, thank you for your reply.

Selecting Do Not Scan Encrypted connections makes no difference.

In fact, it seems that simply having KIS installed causes the problems, it does not even need to running.

I have turned off loading Kaspersky at start up, rebooted and checked that no Kaspersky tasks are running. After a while all of the the above symptoms start.  Uninstall Kaspersky and all is OK. 

I have replicated this on two different 32 bit computers running Windows 10.

12 hours ago, David_H said:

I have suffered the same problems and symptoms. They are documented here:

https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/topic/380393-windows-update-stop-working-with-kav-free-2018/

It might be worth highlighting this thread to support.

Hello,

Try to disable System Watcher model to check this behavior has gone or not. If the behavior still exists, Please try to disable File-Antivirus to check.

Tell the result here.

Regards.

7 hours ago, Wesly.Zhang said:

Hello,

Try to disable System Watcher model to check this behavior has gone or not. If the behavior still exists, Please try to disable File-Antivirus to check.

Tell the result here.

Regards.

Thank you for your assistance.

I have had Kaspersky uninstalled since Thursday, and no problems with windows update since then.

This morning I have downloaded and installed the latest version of Kaspersky Internet Security, fully updated and restarted.

Within an hour I had the first file locked shown in the Windows application log as an ESENT error 490:

wuaueng.dll (2360,D,50) SUS20ClientDataStore: An attempt to open the file "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" for read / write access failed with system error 32 (0x00000020): "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. ".  The open file operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).

At this point the Windows update service stops and cannot be restarted, Error 0xc8000408: 0xc8000408

Windows update fails with an error: There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later... 0x80080005 and 'View installed update history' grays out and will not run.

As requested, I then disabled 'System Watcher' in KIS and restarted.  The results were exactly the same as above.

I then disabled 'File-Antivirus' in KIS and restarted.  The results were exactly the same as above.

As mentioned earlier it appears that simply having KIS installed causes the problems, as they occur even without KIS running.  Uninstall KIS and all is well.

It is mentioned previously on this thread that this seems to only effect 32 bit Windows installations?  I cannot confirm this, but I am getting the issues on 32 bit.

Hello,

OK~ I know. I will check this issue on my side. I think you should follow @richbuff advice to contact KL Support. Let they know this abnormal behavior on Windows 10 1709 build.

Regards.

Hello, after 2 weeks without KAV, every problem is gone. Hope they can fix.

I have just had the following reply from Kaspersky Lab Technical Support:

I am sorry you are facing issues with your Windows Updates.

This is unfortunately a known issue and confirmed bug (Bug # 2341754) and our Developers Team is working to reach a resolution.

For the moment the only workaround is by uninstalling 2018th version and rolling back to Kaspersky 2017 which allows Windows to install updates.

Many thanks to those who have assisted...

Welcome. Please describe the issue, and tell us what version of Kaspersky you are using. 

Patch E for 2018 is being distributed. Please update databases > reboot. 

Hello everyone! :)

After installing Kaspersky Free (current version 18.0.0.405-f) I had numerous and repeated problems with Windows Update in the Windows 10 Pro environment, especially with the so-called "Quality Updates" (the updates released monthly).
So I decided to write this post, to share my most recent experiences.

Previously I had an installation of Windows 10 not "fresh", but an upgrade coming, even, from Windows 7.
In these conditions, with Kaspersky Free installed, I could not install updates KB4051963, KB4054517 and KB4056892 via Windows Update, but I had to download the "standalone" update from "Microsoft Update Catalog" and act as follows:
1) disconnected from the internet;
2) deactivated any form of protection, including Kaspersky Free (I activated the "Pause protection ..." option);
3) installed Windows standalone update (with restart when required).

The next update KB4058258 (the monthly update of January 2018, if I remember correctly) was not possible to install it neither via Windows Update nor the standalone solution (and all the precautions listed above).

Following a series of checks performed on the operating system (sfc / scannow, chkdsk, DISM), I decided to change the old hard drive, buying a new SSD.
So I proceeded with a fresh installation, completely fresh (ex novo), of Windows 10 Pro. After this procedure, also the patch KB4058258 was correctly present in the system.

Today, finally, I came across the update of February 2018, namely KB4074588.
The update in question has unfortunately failed three times, through the Windows Update channel. The error code returned was 0x80070005, that is, if I did not misunderstand, some access denied to registry keys and/or parts of the operating system.
I thought that some Kaspersky Free modules protected too aggressively these sections of the operating system, so, before trying the standalone version of the update (as in the past), I paused Kaspersky Free (I activated the "Pause protection ..." option) and left still active internet connection, then I tried again through Windows Update.
This time the update was successfully installed, even after restarting the computer as required.

Precise that in the past, before installing Kaspersky Free, with this computer and the same current set-up of programs (except the antivirus, in fact) I have never encountered problems with Windows Update updates.

Thank you so much for the attention. ;)

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.