v 21.2.16.590, is Background scan what used to be called Rootkit scan in v20?

Hello Kaspersky Team

1. Is v21.2 Background scan the original v20.* Rootkit scan?
  2. Why is there no way of configuring Background scan - it’s causing heavy drag on the system & running at inopportune times. 
  3. Why does Background scan Help, redirect to Idle Scan documentation?
  4. Why is Background scan running when “computer is locked or the screen saver is on” are not true?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

@Flood and Flood's wife,

1. Judging by the documentation, this is a separate type of check, which also includes searching for rootkits - https://support.kaspersky.com/KIS/21.2/en-US/199672.htm
  2. Apparently it is believed that this check does not require configuration. It can only be desabled. And that makes sense in my opinion.
  3. There have always been problems with the documentation )
  4. The documentation at my link describes four conditions for triggering a background scan. Not just a screen saver launch.

Hello @andrew75,

Thanks for taking the time to reply👌

• 1 Ok,  Idle scan = Background scan, why Kaspersky has decided to have 2 names for the same scan is 🙄

Idle Scan settings

If Idle Scan is enabled, Kaspersky Internet Security will perform the scan tasks (for system memory, the system partition, and startup objects) and update task while the computer is locked or the screen saver is on.

Not happening, Background scan is running when none of the criteria are met. 

If Idle Scan. Background scan that is executed when the computer remains idle for five or more minutes, is true, we understand that to be a Background scan, may run many times in any 24 hour period - if that’s correct, (ioo) it’s poor design. 

• 2 Everyone is entitled to an opinion, we disagree; we’d like to use the Background scan, when the computers are not in use, with no options to set a timetable, (ioo) it makes the feature useless. We simply cannot have a scan running with such heavy overheads while the computers are in use. 
  • 3 (ioo), totally unacceptable from Kaspersky; has ramifications. 
  • 4 Both documents: Idle Scan / Background scan:
  1. Executed when the computer remains idle for five or more minutes. 
  2. If the computer remains idle for five or more minutes (after the screen saver is started).
  3. After the anti-virus databases are updated.
  4. Thirty minutes after Kaspersky Internet Security launch.
  5. Every six hours.

Assuming 1 & 2 are the same, we maintain, not having any control over a resource heavy scan, beyond enable/disable, is unacceptable. 

Perform Idle Scan

• Were any 21.2 quality control evaluations done? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

• 1 month later...

Can I repeat the original question, which does not seem to have been fully answered. What has happened to Rootkit Scan in KIS 21? When I had KIS 20 this seemed to run everyday.

Hello @Martin839

Welcome!

Apparently, according to Kaspersky level 1 support, the original Rootkit scan is now called Idle scan & or Background scan.

@Igor Kurzin, please confirm? 

IF that is correct, it’s not running according to the parameters defined in the documentation. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Rootkit scan runs as a part of Background scan and Full scan. In the scan reports, if you see a Background scan completed - it means the rootkit scan was run as well. 

Hello @Igor Kurzin

Thank you very much for the ☭ ?? Christmas greeting, we send  ✨  🐨🎄 blessings back to you & your family😀

& thank you for the Rootkit, Background & Full scan information👌

1. What about Idle scan, does the same apply? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Igor, thanks for your reply and explanation.

Kaspersky has redesigned the Scan function and its UI in KIS21 compared to KIS 20. I never saw the release notes for this change and cannot find them on the website. Personally I don’t like the changes to the UI but as long as the scans work that is the main thing. I do think that Kaspersky needs to do a better job of communicating major changes to it’s users, like changing the name of the Rootkit Scan. If you are part of the K community maybe you would pass this on?

Thanks again and Happy New Year

Martin839

I do think that Kaspersky needs to do a better job of communicating major changes to it’s users, like changing the name of the Rootkit Scan. If you are part of the K community maybe you would pass this on?

Hi Martin839, 

Thank you for your feedback. Happy New Year to you too! 

Regards,

Igor

1. What about Idle scan, does the same apply? 

Not sure what you mean, I passed the help article issue to the corresponding team.

Hello @Igor Kurzin

Thanks for posting back👌

Does that mean there is no Idle scan, that the “Idle” scan should not be in the documentation, or, is there an Idle scan, as well as a Background scan? 

Please advise?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hello @Igor Kurzin

Thanks for your answer👌

As you’d expect, we’ll keep our beady little eyes peeled for all instances of Idle to be replaced by Background, in all documentation, when that happy event arrives, we’ll mark this topic solved. 

We respectfully suggest no-one does so in the interim, because, a solution is not complete, until it’s actually done😉

Thank again🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

• 2 months later...