Should I have a Firefox extension uMatrix Web Blocker that Blocks Vital Kaspersky Feature: Script Protection in Web Traffic?

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

I have Kaspersky Security Cloud-Free installed with default Additional->Network->Traffic Processing checked.

Kaspersky’s own article Mission possible: How to fend off online trackers dated April 22. 2019(https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/anti-tracking-tools/26556/) advocated the use of installing Firefox extension uMatrix web tracker blocker that “do not require special settings .”However, when I installed the extension, I noticed, it blocks one of the most powerful features of Kaspersky: Script Injection into a Web Traffic. Kaspersky-labs.com domain is red. Therefore, it seems as if two security features are conflicting with each other despite Kaspersky still managing to help me protect against recent Trojans from the web with the domain red!

I can configure uMatrix to whitelist Kaspersky by making the bars from light red(inherited by default to block) to green and saving the state. However I still have doubts because of the kaspersky-labs.com is dark green but other kaspersky domains are light green. This is confusing, despite following the tutorial at (https://www.electricmonk.nl/docs/umatrix_tutorial/umatrix_tutorial.html). However, I have doubts whether I am doing the correct configuration, since there are very few articles in the public domain about Kaspersky and uMatrix.

So my question to the Kaspersky community is, should I even have this extension uMatrix installed in the first place since it blocks the vital component of Kaspersky? Or should I just have Kaspersky as the main website defender and not get security mixups like this situation where one blocks the other? What is your configuration for websites? Do you have website web tracker blockers?

Hello @SecurityInnovations,

Welcome!

• Regarding “uMatrix dark green & light green” 

Light green: the resource is allowed by default.

Dark green: the resource has been manually set to allowed.

• Regarding “should I have uMatrix installed?”, personal choice, none of the extensions mentioned in Mission possible: How to fend off online trackers are a prerequisite for Kaspersky software to work; having said that, when Kaspersky Security Cloud Free is used, the Private Browsing, Safe Money, Webcam Protection, and Software Updater components operate in evaluation mode and can detect corresponding events, for example tracking online activity or using webcam. While in evaluation mode, these components show notifications with results of their operation (no more than once a week).

Please post images of:

1. All Kaspersky Security Cloud Free configurations (you’ve applied)?
  2. All UMatrix configurations (you’ve applied)?
  3. All errors or issues that reflect your concerns?
  4. Regarding the KSC11 tag, is that for Kaspersky Security Cloud v2020 or v2021 or 🤔 ? 

Please post back? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Resource:

Kaspersky Security Cloud package comparison 

I see now what the green colors mean. As far as my configurations, this is actually a  Security Cloud v2020 with recommended security level.

For uMatrix I attached both preconfiguration and postconfiguration settings pictures. In the umatrix dashboard this is the permanent rules after some configurations with global scope star button. Now every time I go to any site, Kaspersky is dark green. Does the settings look okay? Flood, thanks for your feedback and other feedback should help me have a peace of mind.

https-strict: behind-the-scene false
matrix-off: about-scheme true
matrix-off: behind-the-scene true
matrix-off: chrome-extension-scheme true
matrix-off: chrome-scheme true
matrix-off: moz-extension-scheme true
matrix-off: opera-scheme true
matrix-off: vivaldi-scheme true
matrix-off: wyciwyg-scheme true
noscript-spoof: * true
referrer-spoof: * true
referrer-spoof: behind-the-scene false
* * * block
* * css allow
* * frame block
* * image allow
* 1st-party * allow
* 1st-party frame allow
* ff.kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com * allow
* ff.kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com cookie allow
* ff.kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com css allow
* ff.kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com frame allow
* ff.kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com image allow
* ff.kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com media allow
* ff.kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com other allow
* ff.kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com script allow
* ff.kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com xhr allow
* kaspersky-labs.com * allow
* kaspersky-labs.com cookie allow
* kaspersky-labs.com css allow
* kaspersky-labs.com frame allow
* kaspersky-labs.com image allow
* kaspersky-labs.com media allow
* kaspersky-labs.com other allow
* kaspersky-labs.com script allow
* kaspersky-labs.com xhr allow
* kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com * allow
* kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com cookie allow
* kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com css allow
* kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com frame allow
* kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com image allow
* kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com media allow
* kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com other allow
* kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com script allow
* kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com xhr allow
* scr.kaspersky-labs.com * allow
* scr.kaspersky-labs.com cookie allow
* scr.kaspersky-labs.com css allow
* scr.kaspersky-labs.com frame allow
* scr.kaspersky-labs.com image allow
* scr.kaspersky-labs.com media allow
* scr.kaspersky-labs.com other allow
* scr.kaspersky-labs.com script allow
* scr.kaspersky-labs.com xhr allow
* v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com * allow
* v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com cookie allow
* v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com css allow
* v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com frame allow
* v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com image allow
* v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com media allow
* v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com other allow
* v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com script allow
* v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com xhr allow

• Solution

Hello @SecurityInnovations,

You’re most welcome☺ !

The Kaspersky configurations appear ok, however, unfortunately, configuring 3rd party extensions, i.e. non Kaspersky extension(s) is out of scope, please consult the extension developer, their Technical Support Team, and or their Community. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳