Safe Money: Browser choice problem: Not Resolved

I am re-visiting an earlier post:

Hello everyone (again). Following the instructions given in response to my initial post, I thought the problem was resolved; unfortunately, the browser that opened wasn’t Edge as I believed it to be, but rather Internet Explorer!

I followed the steps: Safe Money>Settings>Protection>Safe Money>Safe Money Settings>Additional>To proceed to websites from the Safe Money window use [Default Browser/Internet Explorer/Mozilla Firefox]

I choose Default Browser which, in Windows 10 Home Settings>Apps>Default Apps, is Microsoft Edge

There is a further tick box: Run Protected Browser when Microsoft Edge is running. So, at least the Kaspersky system is aware of Edge.

However, as I said, the browser that loads is always Internet Explorer. I un-ticked the option Run Protected Browser when Microsoft Edge is running  but this made no difference to the outcome.

I decided to shut off Internet Explorer: Windows 10 Home Start>”Control Panel”>Control Panel App>Programs>Programs & Features>Turn Windows Features On or Off>Internet Explorer 11 (un-tick check box)>Yes>OK>Restart

Now, without Internet Explorer there is a further problem in that Protected Browsing will not work at all, either from the Safe Money Window nor direct from the Microsoft Edge browser:

I receive a panel reporting the following:

Run error
Cannot open the website in Protected Browser in Microsoft Edge.
Failed to run Protected Browser. Reason: Unexpected error starting Protected Browser. Please contact Technical Support. Error code: 0x80000046
Open website in current window
Settings

I have reinstalled Internet Explorer. Now, Protected Browsing, when run from the Safe Money window, continues as before through Internet Explorer.

I note again that the browser options are Default/Internet Explorer/Mozilla Firefox, but no Edge.

Am I missing a setting? Has anyone else experienced this or still are? What have others done to resolve this?

Is this an oversight of Kaspersky, or is Microsoft ensuring that only it’s own Defender software is fully successful?

Any further help will be welcome.

Thanks.

Hello @shaunm1963

Welcome back!

The advice from Kaspersky is confusing😖 , atm, they say: 

Limitations in Kaspersky programs version 20.х.х.х

• The Microsoft Edge browser is not supported on Microsoft Windows 10 operational systems later than version 1803 (RS4).

Limitations in Kaspersky programs version 21.х.х.х
With the update to version 21.х.х.х, Kaspersky programs will stop supporting Microsoft Edge in the following components:

• Safe Money
  • Protection for data entered on the computer keyboard

However, as we’ve already established, from Kaspersky communications and from posters, e.g. @Ylive- Kaspersky employee,  Kaspersky will be supporting Chromium Edge🤔

Generally regarding "Website opened in another Protected Browser" message when opening Safe Money in Microsoft Edge

• Specifically, regarding “Failed to run Protected Browser. Reason: Unexpected error starting Protected Browser. Error code: 0x80000046.

➡ Please contact Technical Support, they will need a GSi & Windows Logs, and may need traces, run as the issue is replicated, they will guide you with the traces collection. 

• Please let us know their solution when it’s available?  

Note1, when KIS has an issue starting any browser the user may have configured, it reverts to the system default browser, atm, (for you) is IE the system default browser? 

Note2, if you haven’t done so already, please run a KIS software compatability check? 

Please let me know? 

Thank you🙏

Hello @shaunm1963

Welcome back!

The advice from Kaspersky is confusing😖 , atm, they say: 

Limitations in Kaspersky programs version 20.х.х.х

• The Microsoft Edge browser is not supported on Microsoft Windows 10 operational systems later than version 1803 (RS4).

Limitations in Kaspersky programs version 21.х.х.х
With the update to version 21.х.х.х, Kaspersky programs will stop supporting Microsoft Edge in the following components:

• Safe Money
  • Protection for data entered on the computer keyboard

However, as we’ve already established, from Kaspersky communications and from posters, e.g. @Ylive- Kaspersky employee,  Kaspersky will be supporting Chromium Edge🤔

I run Windows 10 Home version 1909 OS Build 18363.592. I’ve just downloaded and installed the NEW Microsoft Edge (based on Chromium, but not called Chromium Edge). Running Safe Money through Safe Money window, and it still reverts to Internet Explorer 11.

I did some web forum searches, and even on this forum, going back to at least 2017, the problem of Safe Money running through IE was evident, with no clear solution.

So, either MS won’t allow it or Kaspersky have not resolved it. However, based on the following:-

“Microsoft Edge browser is not supported on Microsoft Windows 10 operational systems later than version 1803” 

• Safe Money
  • Protection for data entered on the computer keyboard”

Considering that Edge/New Edge are the default Browsers of Windows, and my purchase of KIS was based partly on the fact that it was designed to run in a Windows environment, I am pretty annoyed with Kaspersky.

Note1, when KIS has an issue starting any browser the user may have configured, it reverts to the system default browser, atm, (for you) is IE the system default browser? 

Note2, if you haven’t done so already, please run a KIS software compatability check? 

Re Note 1 Is the ‘system default browser’ different to the default app choice browser in settings? Sorry, not too technically minded!

Re Note 2 from the list of incompatibles, there are only 2 listed that I can note: Windows Defender (but that is now superceded by KIS, and ‘Update for Windows’ - I have Windows 10 Update Assistant on the system.

Beyond this, and pending going to Technical Support as you advise, which I can’t do now, I am at a loss. But, I know I am not the first to have this problem.

Thanks

Hello @shaunm1963

Thank you for replying🙏

1 Re: “Update for Windows”, according to Kaspersky:

The application " Update for Windows " is not Windows update. It is a third-party application. We unfortunately do not have more information about the app that we can share.”

unquote

NB: I’ve had numerous “discussions” with Kaspersky regading this Update for Windows “app”, I’ll send to you later today. 

2NEW Microsoft Edge (based on Chromium, but not called Chromium Edge), this is where it get’s confusing, I’m of the opinion 1. Kaspersky needs to present clearer guidance. 2. Kaspersky are “trying” to make their Kaspersky AV software compatible with MS Edge Chromium but atm, the solution is not working for all Kaspersky Customers. 

We have received an update that the Microsoft Edge Dev browser in which the KPM extension is supported is a beta version of the Chromium based Edge which is targeted for release on 15 January, 2020.
The availability of support for a product that is in developmetal phase is true specifically for the new Mirosoft Edge Chromium only.
Also, we have received information that there is no newer version of the KPM extension at the Microsoft app store since its release in 2018.

unquote

3  Windows Default Programs, what is ‘system default browser’? 

4 Wndows Defender (but that is now superceded by KIS), have you actually turned WD OFF completely or did KIS “takeover” WD during the KIS install? 

Please let me know?

Thank you🙏

• Please keep us posted with any KLab feedback when it’s available?, there’s many Kaspersky Community members interested in this Topic🤔

Resources, a collection of articles: 

How to protect online transactions with Kaspersky Internet Security 20

“The application " Update for Windows " is not Windows update. It is a third-party application. We unfortunately do not have more information about the app that we can share.”

NB: I’ve had numerous “discussions” with Kaspersky regading this Update for Windows “app”, I’ll send to you later today. “

Thanks Flood.

Also, just made Firefox 72.0.2 (64bit) default browser. Safe Money picks this up from window with no issues. Runs perfectly!!

Hello  @shaunm1963,

The portal had a heart 😨 attack as I was replying above. 

I’ve re-applied my last reply, it’s now there in full😉

I’m glad Firefox is working as the SafeMoney browser👍 

I will keep you posted as any more Edge, old Edge, new Edge, Edge Chromium, Edge Dev, Chromium based Edge, Edge by any other name, information becomes available. 

Thank you🙏

“ I will keep you posted as any more Edge, old Edge, new Edge, Edge Chromium, Edge Dev, Edge by any other name, information becomes available. “

……. brilliant!!!!! 😂

Hi Flood,

you commented:

4 Wndows Defender (but that is now superceded by KIS), have you actually turned WD OFF completely or did KIS “takeover” WD during the KIS install? 

Please let me know?

KIS ‘took over’……………………….is this considered significant? Would directly turning off WD make any difference from your experience?

Thanks

“ I will keep you posted as any more Edge, old Edge, new Edge, Edge Chromium, Edge Dev, Edge by any other name, information becomes available. “ ……. brilliant!!!!! 😂

Hello @shaunm1963

As promised:

From: Kaspersky Lab Support, Sent: Saturday, 25 January 2020 10:42
As per our Experts, this issue was actual for K19 and elder version of Edge.”

unquote

🤐

• 1 month later...

I have been following this as I am having the same trouble and also not able to resolve it.  Today, my bank will no longer support IE and now I am effectively unable to use Safe Money with that site any longer.  Is there going to be a fix soon?

Hello @B-dette

Welcome!

• Chromium Edge (Kaspersky) support is supposed to be mid April with patch J.
  • Currently Kaspersky supports: Firefox, Chrome, IE & legacy Edge (which clearly does not work). 
  • Please let me know if using Firefox or Chrome work with your bank & are you able to use either of them until the patch has been released? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

• 2 months later...