Quick Scan files number changes

i_salazar

Hi all, 

I’m fairly new to using Kaspersky Total Security so apologies if this is a basic question, but I wanted to ask about the Quick Scan. I know it doesn’t check every file on my laptop but ever since I’ve been using the program, the number of files scanned started to slowly grow, which made sense: I download new files, install new programs/apps, so more files get created that the Quick Scan looks through. 

I ran a Quick Scan four days ago and the number of files scanned was around 5,120 but when I ran another scan today, the number of files dropped down to about 4,917. I’m sure it’s no big issue, but what could be the reason for why the number of files dropped? I’m guessing some files that remain unchanged or safe after a few scans are ignored by the Quick Scan? Thank you!

I ran a Quick Scan four days ago and the number of files scanned was around 5,120 but when I ran another scan today, the number of files dropped down to about 4,917.

Hello @i_salazar

Welcome!

• As a test, with (our) KTS set at Default settings, we ran two Quick scans, one after the other, the KTS Scan report images shows the result; noting, we made no changes between running the two scans

• Quick Scan. Scans objects that are loaded when the operating system starts as well as system memory, boot files & temporary Internet files . This scan does not require a lot of time to complete → Some of these are dynamic, e.g. temporary Internet files, i.e. change all the time. 
  • Do not be concerned, if the scan result is clean the system is fine. 

Best practice tips:

After installing KTS:

1. Run a manual Database update.  
  2. Shutdown, power OFF system using  Shutdown, not Restart, power on., login. 
  3. Make sure KTS is running. 
  4. Check version & patch(x) x = letter - on the Windows Taskbar, or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select About ? (Always try to have the software on the latest available patch). 
  5. Check & make sure all Windows updates have a Successfully applied status. 
  6. Run a Full scan, allow it to complete - do  not use the computer while it's running - this is a one time scan - unless, at a later date there's a virus or malware attack  that requires a full scan. 
  7. After the Full scan completes, and assuming no detections, go to Quick scan, if you wish you may run a Quick scan or simply change the following setting: Scan optimizationScan only new and changed files
  8. We also suggest changing the same setting in the Full scan, but, only after, running the very first Full scan
  9. Enable KSN.
  10. (ioo) After the *first* full scan, only run a full scan if a *situation* requires it. 
  11. Run a Quick scan monthly. 
  12. Keep KSN running always. 

💥Important icons in the Scan Window:

• Top righthand corner: ? opens Help documentation specific to Scanning the computer, ||  ? = Help documentation, in all Kaspersky software. 
  • Gear⚙ icon: opens Settings
  • Report📄  icon:  opens Reports

Reports window: top right hand corner, SAVE function, can save any report as a text file (always a big help if submitting a topic here in the Community) 

Left hand side column, lists 16 KTS Reports, column can be collapsed. 

Middle section: Filter by date. Filter by value in any cell. Search by event record text. Sort the list by each report column. Change the order and arrangement of columns that are displayed in the report. 

Middle section, IF screen printing, & (you) wish to hide sensitive info, rightclick the column heading, uncheck the column that needs to be hidden. 

Report event importance levels are used in reports:

Informational events that generally do not contain important information.  Warnings. Events that you need to pay attention to, since they contain information about important situations that KTS encounters when running. Critical events. Critically important events that indicate that KTS  has encountered problems affecting its ability to run or vulnerabilities affecting the protection level of the user's computer.

Any questions, please post back? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋