Quarantine - The file cannot be restored to the original folder. A file with that name already exists in the original folder.

Hello everyone, 

I am new to Kaspersky therefore trying to understand product.  A have a couple of questions/issues with Quarantine.

1. What’s in Quarantine is only a “COPY” of the original file?  What happens to original file that’s left in the original location?  So now I essentially have 2 files, 1 in original location and 1 in Quarantine, is that right?

Another point, so I have 8 files in quarantine, which I want to restore (they are false positives - they are good files); however when I click on restore i get the following message: 

“The file cannot be restored to the original folder.  A file with that name already exists in the original folder”.  This notification would make sense because it’s attempting to restore the “copy” back to original location where the original file is still there. Does that mean i would to restore the “copy” to another location?  So which file would I keep, the restored one or the original file in the original folder location?

I guess I’m trying to understand how Kaspersky handles the quarantining of files, seems confusing to me.  Can anyone clear this up for me?

@MOY_MORAGA Can you please submit the file located in the original folder here https://opentip.kaspersky.com

Hi Berny,

The files are false positives, these are files i have downloaded long ago.  There were app files for my Galaxy phone.  I only tried the Zip files which gave me the error message.

Here is a snip it of my quarantine:

Here is the message when i try to restore the Zip files:

I went ahead and set you the file as requested.  Thank you so much in advance. ☺

Hello @MOY_MORAGA,

Please let us know?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

@MOY_MORAGA Can you please submit the file located in the original folder here https://opentip.kaspersky.com

Hi Berny,

The files are false positives, these are files i have downloaded long ago.  There were app files for my Galaxy phone.  I only tried the Zip files which gave me the error message.

Here is a snip it of my quarantine:

Here is the message when i try to restore the Zip files:

I went ahead and set you the file as requested.  Thank you so much in advance. ☺

Hello @MOY_MORAGA 

Does the file “Galaxy S4 Root Files.zip” is already in “C:\Users\MOY\Documents\Android Phone\Galaxy S4\Root Files\”? Please see it and reply the result. I want to know the notify of KL is correct or not. If the file exist, you don’t need to restore the file, only delete it in Quarantine and set a exclusion for path “C:\Users\MOY\Documents\Android Phone\Galaxy S4\Root Files\*”if you think this file is safe.

Regards.

Hello @MOY_MORAGA 

Does the file “Galaxy S4 Root Files.zip” is already in “C:\Users\MOY\Documents\Android Phone\Galaxy S4\Root Files\”? Please see it and reply the result. I want to know the notify of KL is correct or not. If the file exist, you don’t need to restore the file, only delete it in Quarantine and set a exclusion for path “C:\Users\MOY\Documents\Android Phone\Galaxy S4\Root Files\*”if you think this file is safe.

Regards.

Hello Wesly,

Yes, the file is still in the original folder/location.  This is why I am confused.  I was told by a couple of support agents that when an infection is detected Kaspersky will send “COPY” of that file to Quarantine.

Why is original “infected” file left in original location and “copy” sent to quarantine?  Is this normal?

I thought Kaspersky is supposed to delete the original “infected” file and send a “copy” to quarantine? 

@MOY_MORAGA, because in this case we are talking about archives. Antivirus unpacks the contents of the archive into a temporary folder and scans it. And these unpacked files are copied to quarantine, and not the archive itself.

@andrew75 HI! I have 3 questions:

1. So are you saying that Kaspersky will open/unpack compressed (zipped) folders and copy the contents first to a temporary folder for scanning and then send a Copy of the files to Quarantine?

I checked closely and it only copied 1 file from the Zipped folder to quarantine.  Why did it not copy all the contents?

2. Kaspersky puts a Copy in quarantine of a file that was “cleaned” or deleted, correct?

3. If I have a file in original folder and a Copy in Quarantine, should I delete the Copy? 

Thank you once again for your help!

@MOY_MORAGA 

1. Because only one file in the archive was identified as malicious. The rest of the files are clean.
  2. I was wrong. The malicious file is deleted from the archive, but the archive itself is not deleted.
  3. Therefore, you need to copy the source archive to another folder and only then restore the deleted file(s) from quarantine.