Please help me decipher Privacy Protection and other features. [Solved][Closed]

Outernaut
Go to solution Solved by Outernaut,

After 26 years with the ‘other’ company Anti-virus, I am switching to Kaspersky  maybe :)

I have been testing and toying with KTS trial (and love most of it) and have a couple of questions to help me interpret Kaspersky’s terminology of it’s features. It all sounds kewl, but what are they!

1. “Privacy Protection” seems to include 2 features:
    A - Webcam protection - OK. 
    B - “Private Browsing” - Is this really a VPN ? 

QUESTION: If it’s a VPN, and I get my own VPN (not Kasperkys), one that allows more than just  200 -  300 M, does the Kaspersky VPN interfere with the ‘other’ VPN and will Kaspesky still protect the webcam?

2. I read in someone’s post that KTS Root-kit scan is hard-coded to run in the evening and that we cannot change that.
    ~ Logs show my scan started at 9:09 PM and ended at 9:25 PM (16 minutes!)

QUESTION: Is it possible now, or will it be soon, to run Rootkit scan when  we decide? REASON: Some games crash and close out to desktop every time Rootkit scan runs.

3. Under detailed reports > File Anti-Virus shows:
    Task Started > File Anti-Virus
    - Task started
       File Anti-virus at 1:32 PM
    - Task stopped
       File Anti-Virus at 4:43 PM
    and so on.

QUESTION: Does this indicate it ran for 3:11 hours/minutes and was stopped, or completed it’s task and ended?

SUMMARY:

I would like a product Version that provides:

• anti-virus protection.
  • reasonable VPN traffic (Sorry - Kaspersky does not)  so I’ll 
  • rootkit scans at time of my choosing.
  • Internet Protection sans VPN

Thanks to all the community volunteers that SHOULD be paid, 

~o~

Hi@Outernaut,
I'll try to answer your questions.

1.  'Private Browsing' is not a VPN, it is a tracking protection. A VPN (KSeC) is also installed, but the traffic is limited in the free version (as you have seen). It is a separate program, you can uninstall it and use your preferred solution.
  2. The rootkitscan cannot be scheduled, but you can deactivate it and start it via command line, batch or task scheduler at any time.
  3. according to the log the computer was started against 1:32 PM (and therefore the protection) and switched off against 4:42 PM.

• Solution

Hi@Outernaut,
I'll try to answer your questions.

1.  'Private Browsing' is not a VPN, it is a tracking protection. A VPN (KSeC) is also installed, but the traffic is limited in the free version (as you have seen). It is a separate program, you can uninstall it and use your preferred solution.

Thank you @Schulte 

You have been very helpful and I appreciate it very much. I needed the answers because let’s face it, when we switch from A-V companies to another, it’s going to be a long term relationship - or so one hopes. THIS time, I’m being more careful what A-V company I share pillows with.

Lastly, I would like to know who all the people are that worked so hard to develop, test, market, and the lawyers that drew up the VPN agreement, Privacy and ToU and those that offer free use of VPN servers around the globe so I can send them a free Christmas card and thank them too.😏

Everything on the Internet costs, even the “free” stuff.

Thanks again @Schulte I am most likely buying Kasper tomorrow. If I am wrong, then I can blame you 😁

o~