My pDF files aren't opening. No error messages displayed.

Sid Wulf
Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

Hello.

I was running eSET anti-virus up until Wednesday 03/11/2021. I uninstalled it and installed the Kaspersky Total Security software. However, I’m since unable to open pDF files. I tried repairing/re-installing the Adobe Acrobat X Pro, but that didn’t help either.

Windows 10 version - 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1288)

Kaspersky Total Security - 21.2.16.590 ©

As I mentioned in my subject, I don’t receive any error messages, and the only Adobe related process running on my task manager after I click on the file is (attached: ss1). The anti-virus change is the only major software addition/change I’ve done on this laptop since about a year now (it’s a work laptop).

I’m still not completely certain the issue is with KTS, but I want to make sure it’s unrelated.

Thanks,

Sid

• Solution

Hello @Sid Wulf

Welcome!

• 21.2.16.590  was released in Nov 2020 & patch C, March 2021, however, new version 21.3.10.391 was released on March 22, 2021 & there have been seven subsequent patch releases. 

It would be good to see if the .pdf issue persists with v21.3. 

1. Prior to uninstalling 21.2, make sure you have the KTS activation code.
  2. Create a System restore point
  3. Uninstall v21.2, during the uninstall, do not check any check boxes, leave every check box blank. 
  4. At the completion of the uninstall, reboot the machine. 
  5. Download v21.3
  6. Install v21.3
  7. Run a manual database update - allow it to complete?
  8. Run a manual Full scan  - allow it to complete?
  9. Shutdown the machine, using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login.
  10. Check the version, patch & the .pdf issue - in that order

Please let is know the outcome? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hi Mr. & Mrs. Flood,

I don’t know why, but that actually worked. Is there some mysterious pDF fix that was added in that? Or I guess, I should ask if there was some pdf block existing in the previous version. Anyway, I’m just glad I can use Adobe again. Thank you guys.

Regards,

-Sid

that actually worked! Is there some mysterious pDF fix that was added in that? Or I guess, I should ask if there was some pdf block existing in the previous version. Anyway, I’m just glad I can use Adobe again. Thank you guys. Regards,-Sid

Hello @Sid Wulf

You’re most welcome☺ !

Thank you for taking the time to update us👌

Kaspersky always recommends maintaining the installed software at the most recent version & patch.

Without analysing (your) system data *pre* update, it’s not possible to know the root cause 100%; also, that would need to be done by the technical support team, not the community. 

We’re delighted with the outcome🤸 !

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋