KTS Uninstalled by malware

Keydien

I’ve been using KTS for a while now, and today i noticed that the icon was no longer in my taskbar. This was weird. I went to launch KTS from the Start menu but it popped up a message saying the shortcut was not found. I checked in the Program Files/Kaspersky Lab/Kaspersky Total Security 20.0 and all of the files inside of the directory had been deleted.

Very strange. I then noticed that my Windows Security icon was also missing from my taskbar. When i went into ‘Windows Security’ - it was blank. There were no icons for Defender, Firewall etc. Nothing. The entire thing had been disabled.

I then downloaded KTS and installed it - but it was unable to run. I assume the malware that had infected my system was preventing it from running.

I then downloaded Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool and ran a scan. It picked up 2 results:

• Trojan.Multi.GenAutorunReg.a
  • Backdoor.Win32.Agent.mytobx

Thankfully, it was able to remove both of these.

However, to be sure, i formatted the entire drive, reinstalled a fresh Windows 10 and now have KTS up and working again.

I’m very disappointed that KTS failed to protect my system, allowed malware to infect my system, and to then delete KTS itself. KTS is meant to have measures in place to stop this from happening.

All features in my KTS were turned on. It was up to date and set to auto-update frequently.