Kaspersky updated Dropbox and moved folder, how to attach to my old folder without having to download everything again?

Azuhl

Not sure where to put this since there is no category for bugs.

Kaspersky asked to update Dropbox for me and I allowed it, however, this update ended up being a new install and therefore installing my Dropbox location in a new drive location without me realizing it. Now I have to figure out how to attach to my old folder without having to download everything again.

Hello @Azuhl 
Welcome!
Your topic is in the correct category👌 , do not worry.

1. Is Dropbox free or subscription? 
  2. Is anything stored in the new Dropbox?
  3. Can you tell us the old DropBox path & the new Dropbox path?
  4. Have you tried exiting Dropbox application, renaming new Dropbox (for example Dropbox-new) then moving the old Dropbox to the new DropBox path? 
  5. Have you tried unlining & resyncing Dropbox?

6. Are there any similar issues reported on the Dropbox forums?

Please let me know? 

Thank you🙏

I have a similar issue with the new desktop app for window. 

The new version of dropbox is loosing sync when there is a new version of DB.  When I contacted DROPBOX they say it is because of Kaspersky (I have sent tech details to support).  I checked on my system and Dropbox is white listed in Kaspersky.

Questions:

Should I get Kaspersky to prevent dropbox updating?

Is there a better solution? 

Hello @Ozzy Dave,

Welcome again!

• Did Dropbox Support provided detailed information to support the claim that Kaspersky application is the RC?  If so, please share the Dropbox Technical Support advice here?
  1. How often is DB updating via your Kaspersky software?
  2. Have you added an exclusion for C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Update\  ?
  3. Are you also using KTS? If “yes”, please post back the version & patch information?
  4. Go to KTS Reports, select All Events, select 24hrs or 7days, whichever period reflects a Dropbox Update, select Export, save the report as a .txt file & attach to your reply please?

Please post back?

Thank you

Hi 

1. Dropbox said "Through my research I found that this selective sync issue you are experiencing, appears to be related to your antivirus program Kaspersky. This program appears to be blocking and possibly blacklisting the Dropbox application every time it updates on your device; with this your selective sync preferences are being erased when you perform your first login after the update that has occurred on the application.
    To get this issue sorted I''ve passed your report along to our engineering team who will endeavor to fix it. However please note that this can take some time as the issue is related to another application on your device, and as such our engineering team will likely need to reach out to Kaspersky for true resolution."

2.  I am not sure I believe DB.  The problems only appeared after I allowed the update to the new windows interface.
  3. How often is DB updating via your Kaspersky software?  I dont know it has been auto updating. I have turned autoupdate in Kaspersky off.
  4. Have you added an exclusion for C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Update\  ?  No I will findout how to do that.
  5. Are you also using KTS? If “yes”, please post back the version & patch information? app version 20.0.14.1085 (e)
  6. Go to KTS Reports, select All Events, select 24hrs or 7days, whichever period reflects a Dropbox Update, select Export, save the report as a .txt file & attach to your reply please?

This doesnt make sense to me I hope it does to you (I selected entire period but it should be more)

Thanks

Dave

Hello @Ozzy Dave,

Thank you for posting back, the information & the report. 

Re (1), I’d like to know what research DB Suport are referring to. Like you, I’m not convinced with their “explanation”. It’s not accurate. 

Re (2) please tell me the exact details of “update to the new windows interface” release? KB reference number(s)? Are you referring to a Windows operating system update? What Windows version & build is installed please? 

Re (4) Exclusions, if the exclusion is for DB Update, however, if the issue is DB syncing, the configured exclusions need to be adjusted. 

Re (6) Report: please select All Events, timeframe 24hrs is (as before) fine, export, save & attach please? 

1. Referring back to your initial “The new version of dropbox is loosing sync when there is a new version of DB”, please post an image of the error or problem that’s presenting?  I’ve installed DB to test this issue, atm, I’m unable to replicate. An image would be of great assistance please?
  2. May I know the DB version please? 
  3. When you say “update” do you mean actual software update or is it the transfer of data to & from DB? 

Please post back? 

Thank you. 

Hi Flood,

The last one first because it is easiest

Problem 1: Selective syn settings are not retained. I stopped dropbox and Kaspersky.  I then restarted dropbox. Please see the attached file Selective Syn.jpg    The Select All box is ticked even though folders like audiobooks was not selected previously for sync and is currently grayed out. The problem is that select all is ticked .

Hi Flood

Files can be synced with no problems.  The problem is only with Dropbox not retaining the selective sync settings.

“Re (2) please tell me the exact details of “update to the new windows interface” release? KB reference number(s)? “ I was referring to the Dropbox windows interface. As soon as that was installed the problems of loosing selective sync started. I am using windows 10 pro version 1903.  Dropbox v85.4.155

“When you say “update” do you mean actual software update or is it the transfer of data to & from DB? “  Dropbox suggested that when the dropbox software autoupdated, kaspersky prevented the previous sync setting being saved.

I have selected the dropbox log for 30 days attached,.

Thank you 

David