Kaspersky got disabled and deleted by a virus...

Hi, a few days ago I noticed my computer has started to be a bit louder and I wasn’t doing anything CPU heavy. So I checked the Hardware monitor and it was nothing special so I forgot about it, thought that Windows are doing something or whatever…

And just now I have noticed there is no Kaspersky tray icon, which seemed suspicious. Later I realised that the Kaspersky folder in Program Files is empty except for one .dll file…

I have uninstalled Kaspersky (or what was left of it) and made a fresh installation and it found 4 viruses. They were mining… hardworking.

Afterwards Kaspersky made a full scan and a rootkit scan and found nothing.

So I’m wondering should I do anything more or should be all set?

I’m a bit worried as the virus had deleted the antivirus so… :)

I didn’t have a computer virus for 25 years, last time I remember disinfecting was on Amiga 500 :D

Thanks

Hello @A returning customer,

Welcome back!

1. ❔ Was it C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) where you found the Kaspersky folder empty except for one .dll file?

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.

Please share the outcome with the Community when it’s available?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

1. ❔ Was it C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) where you found the Kaspersky folder empty except for one .dll file?

Hi, thanks for your quick response, it was (x86). Anyway the folder is now full of KIS files, all is working properly :)

I think I’ll make a fresh Win installation as now some Win update service seem to be not working (wuauserv).

I can send the report to the tech support, do you think they might be able to tell me how this all happened?

Hello @A returning customer 

May I ask you some questions for you?

Did you install some cracked programs these days?

Did you run some crack serial number programs these days?

Did you install some apps these days?

Did you open some email attachments these days?

If you have them, Please send it to me via PM. Thanks.

Regards.

I looked into the Win logs and realized that KIS stopped working on May 25, I didn’t install anything a week before.

I did install a cracked game before that, but played for an hour and removed as I realised it’s boring… Maybe it left a virus, which had waken up a week or 2 later…

Hello @A returning customer,

You’re most welcome☺ !

Thank you for updating us👌

Yes, log the issue with Kaspersky Technical Support, for your own peace of mind, whether or not they’ll be able to fully say “how this all happened?”, possibly, there may be enough residual information for their experts to analyse and provide feedback, and, by requesting their review, you’ve covered all bases. 

Please share their advice with the Community, when it’s available?

And a fresh Windows install sounds like a good idea👍- collect the ⚠ data for the Support Team before the refresh⚠

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hi, thanks for your quick response, it was (x86). Anyway the folder is now full of KIS files, all is working properly :)

I think I’ll make a fresh Win installation as now some Win update service seem to be not working (wuauserv).

I can send the report to the tech support, do you think they might be able to tell me how this all happened?

Hello @A returning customer 

May I ask you some questions for you?

Did you install some cracked programs these days?

Did you run some crack serial number programs these days?

Did you install some apps these days?

Did you open some email attachments these days?

If you have them, Please send it to me via PM. Thanks.

Regards.

I looked into the Win logs and realized that KIS stopped working on May 25, I didn’t install anything a week before.

I did install a cracked game before that, but played for an hour and removed as I realised it’s boring… Maybe it left a virus, which had waken up a week or 2 later…

Hello,

If you worry about malware infection. Please sent GSI report here. We could analyses the report to search suspicious files and give you addition advises.

Regards.