Kaspersky for Android devices, Kaspersky Safe Kids automatically blocks secure folder and the “Manage Apps” section of Google Play Store.

chavs

Hi, only recently joined Kaspersky having quit McAfee after many years.  Quite happy with the features offered but having a few problems that I can’t find answers for, so hoping someone here can help me.

I have Kaspersky internet security installed on my desktop PC’s and on several tablets and android phones.  On the tablets and phones I also have SafeKids installed to allow for monitoring/tracking of the devices.

The problem I’m having is with the phones and tablets.

When I go to the Google Play Store and click on “Manage Apps And Devices”, it automatically activates Kaspersky Safe Kids and brings up a screen saying that I am attempting to access something that's not allowed and shows a traffic lights page saying my device has been blocked for 10 minutes. The device then won’t let me do anything for the next 10 minutes, bringing up the traffic lights message every time I click on anything.

This is happening across all of my android devices, apart from one tablet which instead of bringing up the blocked for 10 minutes message, when I click the “Manage Apps And Devices” option in Google Play Store, it diverts me to the Kaspersky Safe Kids parental log in screen.  When I log in, it then just takes me to the Play Store page for Kaspersky Safe Kids and gives me the option to “open” or “uninstall”!

So as it stands now, I can’t access the “Manage Apps” section of Google Play Store on any of my devices.

A second (possibly related) issue is with a secure folder I have on one of my android phones.  The folder is used to store private work content, but when I click on it, the same thing happens - it tells me I’m trying to access something that’s not allowed and blocks the phone for 10 minutes.

If anyone is able to give me some guidance on how to fix this, I’d be hugely grateful, because it’s becoming a headache!

Hello @chavs

Welcome!

1. On a desktop/PC, are you able to log into (your) MyKaspersky account & turn KSK, Application monitoringOFF, for all devices
  2. How many Android devices are affected? 
  3. On the affected devices, (apart from the tablet), is KSK installed as the child profile? 
  4. May we have an image of “Google Play Store → Manage Apps And Devices” screen please? 
  5. Which brand & OS version is the phone with the secure folder issue? 

Please post back? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hi Flood, thanks for your reply.

I’ll start by confirming “Application Monitoring” is turned OFF for all devices.

This is strange because since I posted this question, I have just tried to access the ‘Manage Apps and Devices’ part of Google Play on my devices and it’s suddenly started working on some, but not others.

(1)  Samsung Galaxy S10+ phone :  now working properly  [set as parent’s profile]

(2)  Samsung Galaxy tablet :  now working properly  [set as child’s profile]

(3)  Samsung Galaxy S20+ phone :  locking phone with traffic lights graphic for 10 mins every time I try to access ‘manage apps and devices’ in google play  [set as child’s profile]

(4)  Sony Xperia tablet :  redirects me to the KSK login page when I try to access ‘manage apps and devices’ in google play.  (This tablet is quite an old one which no longer updates past its current Android version which is 5.1.1)  [set as child’s profile]

Below are two screenshots of the Xperia tablet :

Click this option and it redirects to the KSK login page
When I log in, it just takes me to the google play page for the KSK app

Finally, the secure folder issue is affecting the Galaxy S20+ phone.

Hello @chavs

You’re most welcome!

Thank you for the information!

We’re glad you’ve made progress!

1. According to Kaspersky, Kaspersky Safe Kids (KSK) is blocking Secure Folder because it's an app that can be used to bypass KSK, so blocked “by design”. 
  2. Kaspersky recommends only using KSK & Secure Folder in combination on a device configured to be used as “parent”. 
  3. Kaspersky recently updated their Applications blocked on Android documentation, Secure folder is not listed, however (ioo), it should be, OR, it should be explained! 

How to resolve the Galaxy S20+ “repeatedly locked by KSK” issue:

☢ Whatever you do, in (your) MyKaspersky account, do not select DISCONNECT for the Galaxy S20+☢

1. On (your) desktop/PC, on the Windows taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the KSK icon, select, Settings, sign in with (your) parent profile, select Other, select Manual settings sync  → wait for the application to sync → you must see Settings are synced → sign OUT of KSK, SHUTDOWN the device, using SHUTDOWN, not Restart, power on, login; login to (your) MyKaspersky account, check the Galaxy S20+ activity? 
  2. Ultimately you’ll need to uninstall KSK (child) from the Galaxy S20+, however, if KSK is blocking the phone due to the Secure folder issue that may be difficult. 
  3. Please let us know the Sync outcome? 
  4. We’re still researching the Xperia issue, will update when information available. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋