Issues with Patch E, Cant start Firefox, Malwarebytes, VirtualBox etc. after KIS 20 Version (e) Update [merged] [Closed]

CronoK
Go to solution Solved by Schulte,

Hello there,

is anyone by chance also having problems with the patch and has a hint what might be causing them? I couldn’t start or close several programs like thunderbird and chrome with access denied messages despite running admin to close them till I uninstalled Kaspersky completely.  I am running mbam as well removing that though didn’t fix the problem. It’s an amd system with windows 1903.

Also since I don’t want to miss the protection but I am a bit hesitant to install it again right now if I can’t prevent it from going completely haywire again if it updates automatically so is there a way to pause patching for the time being?

Hi,

i got an update for KIS 2020 yesterday. From version (d) to (e). I remember that i got a popup from KIS in the 2019 version to restart my computer after an update. I didnt get any for the update i mentioned above but the size was more than 10 MB (so i figured it had to be an version update, not just database update).

After restarting it showed version (e). When i tried to start Firefox i got an Password-Manager Popup from Kaspersky (like they do occasionally every week or smth). But Firefox didnt really start. The process hung up and couldnt be closed via task manager. Restarting PC leads to the same result. I couldnt start Firefox. There was no idication of a blocked process in the Kaspersky reports. I could start VirtualBox either. Chrome stills works.

After installing a recent backup with KIS 20 ver. (d) everything works fine. After Updating again => same errors as descirebed above.

I upgrade from KIS 19 to 20 without kavremover. Using the normal uninstall routine on the freshly installed backup to delete KIS 20 (d) and reinstalling it works, but i dont get an update to version (e) with the database update function.

Using Windows 10 1903, latest update.

AMD 3700X

Asus X570 Motherboard

I just tested it with a virtual machine in VirtualBox. Set up a fresh installation of Win10 Home, upgraded it to newest version and installed KIS 2020 test version (c ), upgraded it to (e ) via database update. I could NOT start Firefox (says FF already running but not responding, same as on my normal PC).

Done some additional testing. Since i wanted the VM to resemble my home PC i also installed Malwarebytes. I know its on the compability list of KIS 2020 but it worked b4. When i uninstalled Malwarebytes i was able to start Firefox again.

Malwarebytes has some Real-Time Protection tools. With Malwarebytes installed and a disabled Real-Time Protection Module “Ransomware Protection” (Malwarebytes) i could also start Firefox. So i guess thats where the mess-up comes from.

Anyway Kaspersky goes back to its normal behaviour?

well patch “e” might have fixed some things but its broken others. specifically Malwarebytes (yes I know Kaspersky say you can’t run it at the same time but I have for years with mutual exclusions and its been fine.

Here is a thread on the Malwarebytes forums with some info…

Lets hope one of them fixes it soon :-)

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/251478-kaspersky-total-security-2020/

I think my problem posted : https://community.kaspersky.com/kaspersky-internet-security-13/kis-2020-software-updates-5262

is probably related to that patch, I solved it (well I thought) and it worked again for a while but MozillaThunderbird and Chrome are still crashing, so is CCleaner.

I’m still on windows 7, the other computers are on windows 10 and so far, no probs there, but then again no Mozilla Thunderbird.

I’m running Win 7 Pro and am having the same/similar issues.  After Kaspersky updated last night to the latest software version 20.0.14.1085 (e) ALL of my Mozilla products & Chrome browser crash/stop responding shortly after opening. I assume the “e" on the end of the version number is the "patch" that this forum is referencing?  One hour before Kaspersky updated, ALL of those products functioned just fine (I now have to use Internet Explorer). I’m running a paid version of Malwarebytes, could there be conflict between the two apps or do you think it’s Kaspersky since my Malwarebytes software still works fine. Does anybody know how to fix this?  Thanks

Edit: Also, in addition to what FLOOD indicates in the post located above this post, 

I un-cross-posted your cross post. Hence, this unnecessary extra post, because I did not realize right away that you cross posted. Please, only post the issue in one location in the forum. 

Welcome. 

Please contact Tech Support: https://my.kaspersky.com/support/

Please attach the following items to your Tech Support request: 

a. Description of the issue.
b. Screenshot, as needed.
c. GSI

Sorry all.  Commented on a couple of posts.  For me the issue to fix is the fact that € seems to have broken several apps (if you look at other posts).  Not sure if there is a pattern.    

Remember - I did not start these threads I was merely saying “Me Too” :-)

Hello @arleetel

Thank you for posting back🙏 . 

1. Have you checked KIS hardware/software compatibilty documentation? If not, it’s worth doing, just in case there’s anything that can be managed before the Lab come back to you🤔
  2. Also, have you got 2 posts, a topic & a reply,  that are the same, except the post indicates the issue is fixed atm: “I managed (for the time being) to have things working again”, or am I getting mixed up? 

Please let us know?

Thank you!

So you Forum guys are completley  detachted from the technical support? I dont want to submit even more system data with GSI than im already submitting with using KIS. There is a way to reproduce the error (see above). So your technical support could start working on the issue.

That being said i guess theres a reason Malwarebytes is on the incompabilit list. Cant force Kaspersky to work with any other existing software. Its just inconvenient that it doesnt work anymore with patch e.

Hello @CronoK,

Welcome!

Re Kaspersky Community/Kaspersky Technical Support - yes, completely separate.

Kaspersky Community, is a global community, made up of anyone and everyone who uses Kaspersky software, there’s a few Kaspersky employees, in Admin Roles and in the Business Portals you’ll see Kaspersky employees. Everywhere else is people who volunteer their time to help ”whomever” needs help. 

Kaspersky Technical Support (Lab) is everyone from Mr. Eugene Kaspersky to all the employees who make up the many different aspects of the Kaspersky business. 

Re Malwarebytes, (imo), the Lab will ask you to remove it or at the most, run “on demand”, not realtime. 

Best regards

@FLOOD

On the first point : I really first thought it was solved but it wasn’t, it’s even worse.

On the second point : no I did not check but now I did and yes malwarebytes is on that list.

So what now : all exclusions are added in KIS.

Is this the new strategy of Kaspersky to have us uninstall mbam and finally get what they really want for years ? Not allowing us to use mbam (paid) is a very low move from Kaspersky.

In the meantime support reacted, just had to send them a GSI, that did not work with mbam enabled. For the moment I configured mbam not to start with windows in the hope that there will be a solution. 

Hello @arleetel,

Thank you for posting back.

I’m glad Support have responded, please let us know if they have a resolution for you?

Kaspersky has always published hardware and software compatability requirements, and guidance to prepare systems, before installing the software.

As products “evolve”, they get addded or removed from lists. 

(imo) the recommendations are based on creating the most desirable environment for (our) systems to run. 

Both Kaspersky & MB have similar, i.e. competing requirements. 

Best regards. 

Their reply :

“Summarizing your previous post when you stopped MBAM from running with windows, the applications started to work fine. Please note that both Kaspersky and MBAM use the real time protection and this is the reason where incompatibilities might arise.

I believe the best option for you now is to have MBAM not running with Windows. I will keep your incident open for the next 5 days to check and monitor the situation on your computer.”

Best regards.

Just for completeness…..   

As a possible alternative (for those folk who want to keep Malwarebytes running) you could try an alternative antivirus. I have just tested Bitdefender Free and it seems to be working well.

Just saying :-)

Real-time scanning or not both platforms need to get together and work out a mutually beneficial solution. There are paying customers for both insanely popular programs which in today’s market absolutely need to work together!

No more excuses please!

Real-time scanning or not both platforms need to get together and work out a mutually beneficial solution. There are paying customers for both insanely popular programs which in today’s market absolutely need to work together!

No more excuses please!

AGREED