Is there a notification when gaming mode is functioning?

Xardas

If it helps, I am running Windows 10 Pro and I recently installed the 21H2 update.  As a troubleshooting step, I investigated uninstalling the update, but I am unable to do so.  I am curious whether @Xardas has 21H2 installed as well.

If there is any other information I can provide that would help troubleshoot, please let me know.

I found a way to revert back to 21H1, but still no notifications.  Can anyone share what it looks like both in the logs, and onscreen when the notification is working?  I simply don’t know if this is a notification issue or if gaming mode is failing to engage.

Can anyone share what it looks like both in the logs, and onscreen when the notification is working? 

Hello @DrR0Ck

No, none of us have that information, that’s why @Xardas raised the topic, & that’s why the issue is with the experts, we’re waiting for them to advise. 

Please be patient, as soon as we hear from them we will update this topic. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello @Xardas & @DrR0Ck

Latest news:

qte

We have submitted a bug for developers to further analyze and come up with suggestions. We are working on this and will give an update as soon as there is news.”

endqte

😥

• No idea why it’s taken them so long to get from point a to point b, but, wheels turn slowly, so, please  be patient, as soon as we hear from them again, we’ll update this topic. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

I’ve been wondering if Kaspersky leaves a notification every time I start playing a game in full screen mode?

Hi @Xardas , 

The gaming mode works as it should (I just tested), there is no notification and no event in the report. As for notification, I believe there should not be any, since the point of gaming mode is to cancel all notifications not to interrupt the full screen mode. As for the missing event in the report, a bug has been submitted. When there is news, we (or Flood, as there will be a response in the incident) will update this topic. 

I’ve been wondering if Kaspersky leaves a notification every time I start playing a game in full screen mode?

Hi @Xardas , 

The gaming mode works as it should (I just tested), there is no notification and no event in the report. As for notification, I believe there should not be any, since the point of gaming mode is to cancel all notifications not to interrupt the full screen mode. As for the missing event in the report, a bug has been submitted. When there is news, we (or Flood, as there will be a response in the incident) will update this topic. 

Hello @Igor Kurzin

Thank you for your input!

• What then is the purpose/point of: Interface, Notifications, Notifications settings, Gaming ModeNotify on Screen 

Please inform us as this is where the confusion arises from? 

Also,  How to reserve operating system resources for computer games - “You can also select the Use "Do not Disturb" mode check box. In this mode, you do not see notifications if you're actively working in some applications, also scan and update tasks are not started.” 

• Logically, IF Use "Do not Disturb" mode check box is unchecked, notifications will be seen🤔

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hi Flood, 

• What then is the purpose/point of: Interface, Notifications, Notifications settings, Gaming Mode → Notify on Screen 

Please inform us as this is where the confusion arises from?  

Yep, we are already checking this point in frames of the same bug. Off hand it seems that this option “Notify on screen” is not needed for Gaming Mode, as no notifications are expected. 

Regarding Do Not Disturb mode vs Gaming Mode, Gaming Mode is triggered when there is an application (for example a youtube video or a game) in full screen. DnD mode functions regardless of the full screen, if a user works in some application actively, the product cancels updates/scans to keep the system resources for the user work.

Hello @Flood and Flood's wife @Igor Kurzin ,

1. if Do not Disturb mode is checked, does that mean that, for example, while using Google Chrome, Security Cloud won’t do background scans nor database updates? 

Hello @Xardas

You’re most welcome!

No apology necessary, no disturbance has been felt here!!

The KSC How to reserve operating system resources for computer games documentation states:

You can also select the Use "Do not Disturb" mode check box. In this mode, you do not see notifications if you're actively working in some applications, also scan and update tasks are not started.”

So, we decided to test what *some applications* really means!

We set up Quick scan to run every minute, checked Use Do not Disturb mode & checked Gaming mode, at that point nothing else was running as we contemplated what to do: watch a movie, play a game, check K Community, in the few minutes of contemplation, no scan kicked off, so we unchecked  Use Do not Disturb mode & Gaming mode & hey presto, the Quick scan began before we could even open the KSC Scan screen.

Check it out. 

See if you get the same result & let us know please? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and happy new year!  Thanks for all of the above information!  Glad to hear all is working as intended.  I would certainly appreciate some notification (i.e. either something in the log and/or perhaps “Game Mode” displayed when hovering over the task bar icon), so I look forward to additional information regarding that investigation.

I am running Kaspersky Internet Security, and I do not believe this application has a “Do not disturb” option.  I only see “Pause File Anti-Virus” as something I can manually trigger.  Is there anything analogous to “Do not disturb” in KIS?

Thanks again! 

Hello @DrR0Ck

You’re most welcome!

KSC has Do not disturb, KTS does not, personally we prefer KTS, however, Kaspersky is planning the release of 3 new products, the following are currently in Beta release, in the UK & USA, available as trial or subscription:

Kaspersky Basic

Kaspersky Standard

Kaspersky Plus

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋