I let shop repair my computer, many hardware and software were modified. How to trace this?

abcd1234

I gave device for keyboard repair but they used for some other purpose , they tuned off security cloud & i found chrome logged out and all browser settings changed, is there some software to trace what they did with the device by kaspersky or some other vendor? Is it possible to detect if someone has replaced original device parts with duplicate old hardware parts of the device or installed spyware on the device? Most shops here deny to repair in front of customer.

I gave device for keyboard repair but they used for some other purpose , they tuned off security cloud & i found chrome logged out and all browser settings changed, is there some software to trace what they did with the device by kaspersky or some other vendor? Is it possible to detect if someone has replaced original device parts with duplicate old hardware parts of the device or installed spyware on the device? Most shops here deny to repair in front of customer.
Hello abcd1234, Welcome! Please tell us: Operating system name? version? build? Kaspersky Security Cloud version? build? patch(x) x= letter (see note at the end of my reply) Did you leave Chrome signed in (to your account) when you gave the device to the person/Company who fixed it? Please let us know? Thank you:pray_tone3: Note: Kaspersky free software has (config) limitations, advertising & no Technical Support. If we know this, we ensure we never waste your time, advising you, for example: "contact Technical Support".

Only God knows what the other people did to your hardware and/or software. :) Hardware modification concern: Not a Kaspersky related issue. Software modification concern: Kaspersky is not your best bet to resolving your concerns. If you are concerned enough to bring up this topic, you can completely resolve your concern by formatting and re installing Windows. :)

• 2 years later...

Very informative post it Helps me a lot. Keep Sharing It . Software modification concern: Kaspersky is not your best bet to resolving your concerns. If you are concerned enough to bring up this topic, you can completely resolve your concern by formatting and re installing Windows. One More Thing i want to say please take a look on Best Mac Repairs Company in Brisbane

At some point in life you have to be able to trust someone.  If you did your research properly and only gave your computer to a repair person/firm that has a good record in your local community then you will be fine. The computer tech that is genuine and “real” relies on their good reputation and turstwortiness and when doing a repair he/she often needs the system to be left in the state you use it to troubleshoot the system you presented to them.  If you start logging out of “this” and uninstalling “that” then chances are that they will not be able to fix the problem you wanted them to sort in the first place.  It is quite common and normal for a computer tech to log you out of Chrome and/or reset chrome if chrome was mis-behaving and the issue was related to the web browser OR if they were doing a “quick malware/junk cleanup” for you as part of their service. 

Often, when searching for malware (that can also break the keyboard function) the technician will have to disable the primary AV in order to install and run other malware tools temporarily too (like Malwarebytes, ADWCleaner, RougueKiller, Emsisoft, Zemana, etc. etc.).  A good tech will do the work, uninstall teh other tools and then re-enable the original tool (like KAS) afterwards and, of course, if the browser is worked on (to get rid of undetected PUP / PUM’s) then they will not be logging your account back in to Chrome unless they called you first and asked you for the google account password.   Of course you would have 2FA or similar on the google account so you would get notifications when these activities are carried out and a good tech will call you to warn you that this will happen.

This is the sort of problem that happens when you don’t research your chosen repair tech company properly.  The truth is that this company has possibly done nothing wrong or underhand at all - it is your lack of understanding on what needs to be done to repair a computer that may well be the problem.

I do this for a living!

…….. Most shops here deny to repair in front of customer.

I don’t know why I just replied to this I just saw that it is over 2 years old 😂

I just “got my goat” as they say and I felt the need to vent some anger.  I apologise to everyone (apart from abcd1234).  😆