How to disable upgrading of WinZip [MERGED]

Nicolaas1962

Turn off software updater in settings: Dispite turned "update setting" to manual every time WinZip updates my WinZip version which i don't want. Extremly annoying since the new version is a trail version!!! Please help me resolve this problem. I want to turn of the automatic renewal of WinZip!

Dispite turned "update setting" to manual every time WinZip updates my WinZip version which i don't want. Extremly annoying since the new version is a trail version!!! Please help me resolve this problem.. I want to turn of the automatic renewal of WinZip!
Hello Nicolaas1962, Welcome! A. Is KTS showing Winzip has an update ready? B. Which software is "trial" version, Kaspersky or Winzip? C. How have you configured the WINZIP settings? Especially "auto-renewal"? & 1⃣ a) Operating system name? b) version? c) build? 2⃣KTS: Free or Licensed? (see note at the end of my reply) b) Version? c) Patch(x)? x = letter Please let us know? Thank you. Note: Kaspersky free software has (config) limitations, advertising & no Technical Support. If we know this, we ensure we never waste your time, advising you, for example: "contact Technical Support".

Turn off software updater in settings: Dispite turned "update setting" to manual every time WinZip updates my WinZip version which i don't want. Extremly annoying since the new version is a trail version!!! Please help me resolve this problem. I want to turn of the automatic renewal of WinZip!
Hello Nicolaas1962, I have answered your question, in your post. Thank you.

Flood, i have for both KTS and WinZip no free NO trial version. I payed for both. Both KTS updates into a newer WinZip version which is a trail version. Isn't that something! I set the Software Updater on manual but it still installes newer version. I have a KTS licence for 3 pc's for 579 remaining days. Work with Windows10; Windows 10 versie 1903 en Windows Server versie 1903 I don't know how to find the Version and build of the opeating system and KTS. That was so much easer to find in the past.

This info i found in the KTS e-mail when i bought the KTS software: Uw Kaspersky Lab bestelreferentienummer: XXXXXXXXXXX and this is the e-mail from WinZip when i bough that: Referentienummer: XXXXXXXXX: uw order van WinZip 21.5 Pro Edition what more do you need? Moderation Edit : Uw bestelreferenties zijn verwijderd

KTS premium, WinZip WinZip 21.5 Pro, premiumBut KTS updates to a newer WinZip version which is a trial version. I set KTS Software Updater on manual but it still installs newer "trial" version. Windows 10 v1903 & Windows Server v1903
Hello Nicolaas1962, Thank you for posting back:pray_tone3:
  1. Yes, sometimes things seem "hard" & complicated, but, we're here to help so please be assured we will do all we can.
To find requested information: 1⃣ Operating system info, from Windows start menu. search ? type in winver press enter, the popup display will show you the information. 2⃣ KTS info, open KTS application main window, choose ? (lower left hand corner) this opens Support window, the Support window will show the information. 3⃣Please post an image of KTS showing WinZip update is available? 4⃣ Please go to Windows, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features - sort the list so WinZip is at the top of the list, take a screen print & post back with your reply. (see my image at the end of my reply to show what's needed, note, my image shows WinRar, not WinZip) ---- From what I understand, Winzip is publishing announcements a new WinZip version is available, KTS, recognises the "announcement", offers (to you) to update WinZip, however, when the Winzip update is "managed" via KTS, the Winzip software that's "pushed" onto you machine, is Winzip "TRIAL" version, have I got that correct? Please post back? Thank you

Hello Nicolaas1962, As well as my previous post, check Updates (WinZip Options), how is your WinZip 21.5 Pro set?
  1. IF your WinZip 21.5 Pro, UPDATE, is set to "NEVER" and KTS is STILL notifying you to update WinZip 21.5 Pro, please let me know?
  2. Also, keep in mind, setting any software - update - "never", can mean important security features, published by the software developers, are not applied, that can be an exposure, i.e. "risk".
Please post back. Thank you:pray_tone3:

I am having the same problem. In the previous reply, it was mentioned the following: From what I understand, Winzip is publishing announcements a new WinZip version is available, KTS, recognises the "announcement", offers (to you) to update WinZip, however, when the Winzip update is "managed" via KTS, the Winzip software that's "pushed" onto you machine, is Winzip "TRIAL" version, have I got that correct? I believe your understanding is correct. The update to WinZip version 24 is not a free update. Thus, the reason why the newly installed version is a "trial version". Since it not a free updated, the "Version 23" license numbers does not work. WinZip states that they are not pushing the update out. (Please see below) If you are finding a newer version of WinZip installed and you did not install it, I do not know for certain how it got there. The only feature in WinZip having to do with new versions is the Check for Updates feature. All that does is to check records on the update server against what it finds in your registry to see if you have the latest version installed or not. If you don't, it lets you know that something new is available. It does no downloading and it does no installing. For WinZip to be installed without your knowing, there would either have to be a group policy install in place or there would have to be another application installed that performs automatic upgrading of programs silently. I have heard from a few customers and have found that Vipre/AVG TuneUP/Kaspersky Internet Security will automatically update third party applications, including WinZip. not sure if the above information will help.

Unbelievable WinZip again installed an trail version. I swear that i will never buy anything from the compagny that issues WinZip. Did all above. I put in extra info which was asked earlier in above discussion: Windows 10 64x Versie 1903 build 18362.356 Kaspersky Lab: Versie 19.0.0.1008(g) Release dtum databases: 19-09-2019 15:28

Unbelievable WinZip again installed an trail version. I swear that i will never buy anything from the compagny that issues WinZip. Did all above. I put in extra info which was asked earlier in above discussion: Windows 10 64x Versie 1903 build 18362.356 Kaspersky19.0.0.1008(g) Release dtum databases: 19-09-2019 15:28I have removed WinZip several times and install the 21.5 version again. So annoying!
Hello Nicolaas1962, Thank you for posting an update. I agree it is annoying, and strange, if WINZIP has Update = Never, very odd:thinking: Ok, a few things: (1) KTS 19x, 2020 is out, are you staying with 19 for a reason? If not, updating (imo) will not fix the issue, however, it would be good to ask Kaspersky Technical Support why KTS GUI shows update will be Winzip 21.5.12480 to Winzip 24.0.13618, but when Update is selected, the installed update remains at Winzip 21.5.12480. If you do ask the Lab for their advice, the first thing they will tell you to do is update to 2020, so, it would be best to get that out of the way before contacting them. (2) If you do update to 2020, uninstall 19 first, save License info only, ignore the remaining 5 options. (3) The Lab will require Traces (image at the end of my reply). Traces need to be captured as the issue is replicated.
  1. The process is: enable Traces, shutdown PC using FULL shutdown, not Restart, power on PC, login, start KTS, select Winzip 21.5.12480 Update, allow the update process to complete, upon completion, turn OFF Traces, select both Operating System & Data received for analysis, select Save Report on your Computer, data will save as a .zip folder. Size wise the Traces can be big, so don't run anything else while the replication steps are being done.
(4) Collect GSI & Windows Logs (5 When you've prepared all the information, history, Traces, GSI, images, log the request. (6) When Update is selected, does KTS GUI redirect/open a web page? IF "yes", may I have the URL please? Please post back? Thank you:pray_tone3: KTS 2020 Library

I just update the Kasperky to the new version 20.0.14.1085(d) If you go to the Kasperky Software updater there are options to update WinZip. You can chose to Option to ignore the update to WinZip. I do know if this is a new feature from the earlier version but I just saw it today after I took the advice from Flood about installing the most recent Kasperky. (from going to from version 19 to 20) Thanks for the assistance.

I have removed WinZip several times and install the 21.5 version again. So annoying!
Hi Nicolaas1962, please check the folder 'C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP19.0.0\Data\patchmanagement\download_storage'. Is there a file that refers to WinZip? For example, for Thunderbird it would be currently 'c33d219924e08fecd6bf9bab05a187996ed0b538adbdc9c3cc5271857a902399_Mozilla_Thunderbird_68.1.0_1031.exe'. If you find a file that matches WinZip, delete it. (You have to disable Kaspersky self-protection.)

• 3 months later...

I am having the same type of problem.  I have a licensed version 23.0 for WinZip that I have installed.  My Licensed version of KIS is 20.0.14.1085 (g).  My licensed Windows version is Windows 10, Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.535).   I have turned off Software Updater in KIS.  I have gone into WinZip Options → Settings → Updates & set that as “Do Not Check for Updates”.  I also went intoi RegEdit & updated both  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nico Mak Computing\WinZip\UpdateCheck   &   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nico Mak Computing\WinZip\UpdateCheck  and set AutoMode - to “0”  & NoUpdateChecking - to “1”  per online instructions I found that is supposed to disable the updater completely.  None of it seems to work as *EVERY SINGLE DAY* the licensed version 23.0 is uninstalled & a (expired) trial version 24.0 is installed in it’s place, which can’t be used since the trial period is expired.

I checked C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP20.0.0\Data\patchmanagement\download_storage' & the folder is empty.   I get no prompt to update WinZip.   I uninstall WinZip 24.0 & reinstall licenced version 23.0 anywhere between 5 pm and 10 pm one night & at some point before 9 pm the next day, Version 23.0 is gone & trail version 24.0 is installed.  It has happened pretty much daily for the last 2 weeks, possibly longer than that.

I can’t tell if it is KIS that is doing ir, Windows (somehow) is doing it or WinZip itself that is ignoring its settings & doing it, but I am tired of it.  I have also put in a ticket with WinZip support about the issue.  I need to figure out which program is causing this and a fix for it because it is ridiculous to have to uninstall and reinstall a program daily just to be able to use the older version that I paid for a license for.

Hello  @Wolfwalker527,

Welcome!

We may suggest logging a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, however, before doing so, may we have: 

• KIS Detailed Reports, select AllEvents, 7Days, export the Report, save as a .txt file & 📎 attach to your reply please?

❔1 Also, for my understanding: WinZip 24.0, commercial release September 11, 2019,  if this problem wasn’t happening, would you (at any point), choose to update 23 to 24.0, or would that involve another license🤔 ? 

❔2 On each occasion that 23 is reinstalled, is it necessary to “re-register” the software?

❔➡ Software Updater Exclusions window, is any software listed? 

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

1.  Updating to WinZip 24.0 would require a new license purchase.  Licence for WinZip 23.0 is only for that version.  To me it is not  worth buying a new licence for a new version that is not a huge jump in capabilities.  WinZip version 23 works fine for my needs.
  2. No, when I reinstall WinZip version 23, it recognizes my license for that version & shows it as a licensed version.  When version 24 instals, it does not recognize the licences for version 23 & shows as an unregistered trial version with the trial period already expired.
  3. Software Updater Exclusions window is empty, but I also have Software Updater set to Off in Settings - Protection.

Hello  @Wolfwalker527,

If Wizip 23 automatically updating to Winzip 24 issue persists, in C:\Program Files\WinZip rename WZUpdateNotifier.exe to WZUpdateNotifier.exe-old and monitor the issue.

Note: if WZUpdateNotifier.exe is active, kill the process before renaming the executable. 

Let me know the outcome please?

Thank you🙏

• 7 months later...

The same problem is on here with licensed versions of both - WZ 21.0 Pro and Kasp 20.0.14.1085(k) - every time i have to uninstall 24.0 and reinstall the 21.0 (for which I have license and being infrequent user, I don’t find a need for unnecessarily buying a license for upgrade).

Renaming the Notifier done, but problem persists. Is it someway WInzip is trying to bypass the security and pushing, in a quite immoral way, an Upgrade in the name of Update ?