How do I deal with a man in the middle attack from an APT?

keezus

Hi. I’m asking this question to both Kaspersky over email and here on the forum. There is an APT that has targeted a man-in-the-middle attack against me. Because of this, my phone calls and emails are constantly being intercepted by the APT.

This is a serious problem, but my question for now is this: how do I make phone calls and receive emails safely and securely without them being intercepted by hackers?

Hello @keezus

Welcome!

Start by sharing specific information:

1. Operating system version & build?
  2. KSC version & patch(x) x = letter?  
  3. Explain in detail the nature of the problem, e.g. when did it start? what actions have you taken, etc? 
  4. Attach📎 screenshots of the problem→ How to take a screenshot? We need to see what you see? 
  5. Is the OS, on whatever the device is, fully updated & patched? 
  6. How do you know the phone calls are being intercepted? 
  7. How do you know the emails are being intercepted? 
  8. Check KSC Reports? 
  9. Is KSC Premium or Free? 

Regarding actions to take, difficult to answer without the above information, however, generically:

• 🅰 Implement authentication strategies & use them. 
  • 🅱 Use a VPN. 

Please let us know? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Additional resource:

Tutorial, by @Danila T. Read before you create a new topic!

1. All of my computers and phones are being targeted, but we can start with MacOS 11.2.3.
  2.  Kaspersky Internet Security 21.1.0.150a.
  3. I would prefer to skip the other questions because time is of the essence and because my question is general in nature. If anyone has been targeted with a man-in-the-middle attack, how do they solve this problem? How do they prevent calls and emails from being intercepted?

We’ve updated our previous reply.

Reluctance to provide information, irrespective of your motivation, limits our capacity to assist. 

As you’ve already reached out to Technical Support, hopefully they’ll respond & assist. If the information you’ve provided them is as lacking as what you’ve provided to us, you may find they’ll also have a difficult time offering support. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Reluctance to provide information, irrespective of your motivation, limits our capacity to assist. 

Flood🐳 +🐋

There is no reluctance on my part. I need to send these messages as quickly as possible to stay ahead of the APTs.

Thank you for your help so far. I’ve installed a VPN but I need help on authentication procedures. Is there a Kaspersky tutorial for this?

I'm not asking about my situation in particular. I’m asking for a general guideline about what to do in the event of a man-in-the-middle attack. A general guideline like this would be beneficial to both me and the community, which is why I’m asking publicly. That’s why specifics are not necessary.

Man-in-the-middle attacks (MITM) are a common type of cybersecurity attack that allows attackers to eavesdrop on the communication between two targets. The attack takes place in between two legitimately communicating hosts, allowing the attacker to “listen” to a conversation they should normally not be able to listen to, hence the name “man-in-the-middle.”

Here’s an analogy: Alice and Bob are having a conversation; Eve wants to eavesdrop on the conversation but also remain transparent. Eve could tell Alice that she was Bob and tell Bob that she was Alice. This would lead Alice to believe she’s speaking to Bob, while actually revealing her part of the conversation to Eve. Eve could then gather information from this, alter the response,  and pass the message along to Bob (who thinks he’s talking to Alice). As a result, Eve is able to transparently hijack their conversation.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you want to rewrite your essay? In other words, if you want to rewrite your essay without any hard work. So you are in precisely the right place. Our artificial intelligence essay rewriter free tool Will rewrite your article in few seconds and give it to you Without making any effort. Our essay rewriter is the most advanced of all rewrite tools on the Internet because it is based on Artificial intelligence technology, giving you even better results with time.