How can I really temporarily stop protection?

Jimbo
Go to solution Solved by Schulte,

I've been troubleshooting an old (virus free) application.exe that just fails to install. I have another PC same Windows OS without Kaspersky and no issues. 'Pause Protection' doesn't do what it says on the tin and I'm losing confidence. I can prove Kaspersky is still active by saving files or accessing my router control panel (No HTTPs certificate) and Kaspersky AV is still actively monitoring my IP network traffic. When an application says 'Pause protection' I expect it to do that and not run background services i don't know about?

I want to stop Kaspersky completely, disable/stop its processes without its app security objecting or getting a belly ache, then restart it again. I've tried a few things but I'm fast concluding the only way to stop it is to uninstall it and clean up what's left over, unless anybody has other ideas?

Thanks, I just discovered that and tested it by accessing my router. I already have kaspersky set to manual and a delayed startup entry to control what it does. I just disabled the startup completely.

Do you know what protection is still active? It clearly picks up access to my router as insecure because I haven't created cerificates yet, but what else is it doing? The frustrating problem I had was an installer app that just stopped when it had to write files to the hard drive and Windows system temporary folders?

Thanks, I understand what you mean. Defender is well and truly disabled, no running services! but Firefox is becoming more troublesome as they keep adding in security options with each new version. I wish they would stick to it being a browser and let AV software handle security. I keep an older version of Chrome I use for testing which browses to anything and in most cases helps me if any security blocking is with Firefox. I have this feeling that Kaspersky can interfere and block apps or file saves, but doesn't add its actions to the log? This makes it harder working out if Kaspersky is causing a problem or not.

Yes I know about the certificate, for me it's just time consuming having to pass over all the warnings. But not sure if I can enter my router webhost IP as an exception in Kaspersky.

I don't allow automatic background updates and I've noticed Kaspersky has reduced the frequency of its updates which used to be 3 or 4 a day. I run other protection software so I'm quite happy with a daily update.

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2022 at 10:05 AM, Schulte said:

Hello @Jimbo,

to disable Kaspersky completely, you need to disable loading at system startup and then reboot the computer.
If you use 'Pause Protection', some system drivers are still active.

Hide contents

image.png.9a53597533d59f671cb1b3e268ca87c6.png

how do i do this on kaspersky total?  can you check my thread there with my posts?